so you wanna "spring" for a mod?

6 replies to this topic

#1 deth moad ue

deth moad ue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

That was the corniest description ever.

Anyway, I've just got two NF ex-3s, and restrictor modded one to get a very noticeable result. I'm interested in doing further work with this. I hear the spring isn't as good with this as it is with the original NF, so I'd like to replace it.

This makes me want to replace the spring in my mav as well..however I don't know specifics/basics regarding spring modding. I've read about foam spacers, stretching, and replacement, but can find no tutorial for the n00b that explains the method and function of these mods...and yea, I used the search function:)

Is there anyone willing to help me understand this?

And is there a specific method to finding a replacement spring, or should I just buy a bunch of similar looking ones and try them? How do I know that the spring I'm buying is stronger?

Edited by deth moad ue, 03 August 2005 - 07:59 PM.

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • State:Arizona

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

For an EX-3 spring, you want a spring that is about the same length as the NF's spring, but thicker, like the metal itself is fatter. Buy a spring that is roughly the same length as the stock spring and thicker and if you can't find any that length, buy a different length (longer) and cut it down to the same length. You may have to reinforce the plunger, though, if your spring's too strong. I imagine you can do this by putting a fairly thick and long screw down the middle of it, like Rags did in his EaB mod on NHQ.

As for a Mav spring replacement, duce replaced the spring in his Mav with one from a Sneakshot or something (can't remember what gun), and he had to reinforce the case to keep it from breaking. I tried a spring replacement in mine with an NF spring, but it broke the little plastic things in the slide cocker that hold the metal rod in place the first time I cocked it. Do not do a spring replacement with something that strong without reinforcing the slide cocker and/or replacing the metal rod.

About spring stretching, I don't usually do it, but you're supposed to take the spring and stretch each pair of coils individually. But, the way I understand it, the spring weakens over time. I wouldn't do it.

Good luck with your Mav and EX-3!
SexD Warves

#3 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

Well, I think Cx explained replacements once.

Try finding springs, and bring yours with you. When you find a selection, try to find a spring about 6/8 the size of your original spring, but atleast 3 guages thicker. This thickness gives you the resistance, and the shortening will give you less stress on your plastic internals.

For stretching springs, just grab both ends and pull, whilst twisting a little bit inwards to make the spring retain it's shape. A stretched spring will either bend, or return to it's original size after time, and more quickly during extended use.

I hope his helps you.

Whats the foam padding method?
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#4 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

The night finder is pretty durable on the inside, the only thing I'd worry about is the screw mounts for the plunger tube. I found a really strong replacement for mine and my brothers nf's, I had to cut it down a little but it was marked c 386 or something like that on the package. They come in packs of two.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • State:Arizona

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

My screw mounts broke on my NF with the stock spring but it's fine; the tube just moves around when you shoot, but it goes forward so it doesn't throw off your accuracy at all.
SexD Warves

#6 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

I replaced two plunger assemblies in old NFs with TTG assemblies and added a bungge cord about 6 to 8 inches long on it from Lowes. Gets better range than any NF I have ever seen.

P.S. I used CPVC.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#7 KirbySaysHi

KirbySaysHi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

Hey dude,

I found that my local Farm and Fleet sells the perfect spring! No cutting!

The measurements of the spring were:

7/8 x 4 x .080 in.

They came two to a pack, and are definitely stronger than even the original nitefinder. The packaging was a plastic bag, with the top of the bag being colored yellow where the measurements were listed. While these new springs are more powerful, I found that they were not so much larger as to cause structural damage or preventing the cocking mechanism from functioning. Rock it!

Copy!
Kids in the backseat cause accidents... Accidents in the backseat cause kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users