Photo

Friction

9 replies to this topic

#1 dragnet88

dragnet88

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

I have a couple barrel materials at my disposal. I have PETG, which is a fairly loose fit and the dart slides in very easily. I also have cpvc, which is an extremely tight fit and I can just barely twist the dart in when I file the inside of the barrel. I know that the looser PETG fit is good for air guns, but should I use the looser PETG on spring guns like my nite finder? The main benefit would be that it would be a lot easier and faster to load if I was using PETG.

#2 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

If your darts are hard to sqeeze into your CPVC barrel, then your dart material is the wrong OD. 1/2inch foam backer rod (same OD as stock dart foam) fits very nicely in 1/2inch CPVC. I have not had a chance to play around with the right sized PETG yet, but PETG seems to have a somewhat tight fit on FBR than in CPVC. Thus making the POP when fired. I know for a fact that foam backer rod from Lowes fits CPVC better than that of which at ACE. You need to get 1/2inch foam backer rod found in the back of Lowes.

After you get this, it will fit perfectly in CPVC with the ramming of a pinky finger at the end and then you can take a sample of the foam to your distributer of PETG. Hope I helped.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

No, not for a springer, use something tighter like the CPVC, even if it does take longer to load.
SexD Warves

#4 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, like I said, I have never got a chance to mess around with the right sized PETG meant for Nerfing with, os I use nothing but CPVC and PEX pipe for my arsenal. I find that CPVC is easy to use for smaller guns. PVC is jsut too big for say an AT2K as for CPVC that fits nicely on a turret. You need to get the right foam first though.

#5 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

You have the right size foam so ignore what he was saying about that. The foam sizes can be different even if you buy two things of the same brand the size can be slightly varied. My foam doesn't always fit in CPVC but will always fit in my PETG so I just put PETG on all my guns and I don't really have any problems. My pistols will shoot just fine.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#6 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

ACtually, I got PETG form that place that gives free samples and had some that fit my very first batch of FBR perfectly. If yours' is white, then I have had that kind of foam. And yes, it is hard to get into CPVC but easy in PETG. If you are willing to try making foam to fit your CPVC, then try some from Lowes. It is a nice idea.

As for your NF, slap a CPVC coupler on it and see if your PETG fits it. If it is loose, then wrap some e-tape around it the one end that you want in the coupler.

#7 DrunkenSloth

DrunkenSloth

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

I have a couple barrel materials at my disposal. I have PETG, which is a fairly loose fit and the dart slides in very easily. I also have cpvc, which is an extremely tight fit and I can just barely twist the dart in when I file the inside of the barrel. I know that the looser PETG fit is good for air guns, but should I use the looser PETG on spring guns like my nite finder? The main benefit would be that it would be a lot easier and faster to load if I was using PETG.

I use 9/16'' Brass on all my guns. I find it is a good fit for springers yet still gives me good range on my air guns. It is sort of a happy medium. Of course it will be different depending on your foam size, but as you live in the same town as me head over to Home Depot (I hate that store more than anything in this world, minus Blizzard) and buy the 1/2'' FROST KING brand. It fits perfectly.

#8 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:07 PM

You typically want a tighter fit for your spring guns than on your pump guns. This is because on pump guns it delivers the air pressure all at once, very quickly. A looser fitting barrel will give you the best advantage. For spring guns, it takes longer for all the air pressure to build up, so a tighter fitting barrel will allow the air pressure to build up more before it exits the barrel. So I say PETG your pump guns and CPVC your spring gun, and straighten your darts so you don't have to twist them in.

AA
Indiana '11

#9 quasar

quasar

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

ACtually, I got PETG form that place that gives free samples and had some that fit my very first batch of FBR perfectly. If yours' is white, then I have had that kind of foam.

Where did you find white foam? I would love to have some even if it means a little more $$.

#10 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

I went to work with my dad once where we were cutting sheet metal and 3/8inch steel palte. It is what goes up on the big buildings in DC as the outside parts (the casing in this case) and for it to be completed, we have to clean it up and ship it to the building down the road for it to be painted. So naturally, I was done with my work and just plundered around the work shop. (It was a place full of tools, anyone would have done what I did) Then, I stubbled apon normal colored foam, yet it was not closed cell and it was in massive sizes. So I snatched some for little things to use it on like straps and stuff. Then, I found a box of closed cell foam that said 1/2inch on it. Up until then I was using the 50 stefans Dan Wask sent with my first AT2K I bought from him. I opened the box up and there was this 2000 foot long roll of white, clsoed cell foam. I was in awe. I quickly removed the foam fomr it's box and took about 40 foot of it. The thing is about this foam, it is a wee bit bigger than other foam. To tell you the truth is fits perfectly in copper. So it is like 17/32 inch. I quickly started makign stefans by the hour when we returned home from a long days work. It worked in CPVC but it fish tailed in regular sized barrels and wasn't very good on springers considering it was tight. I will have to talk to my uncle or dad (he works there every-now and then really; weekends sometimes) and score some of this stuff. By then I will have moved though and he will have to bring it to me on his trips over. I will ask him to check the storage compartments on how many rolls they have left. He might be able to score a whole roll of it for me. Unevitable foam yay. This tuff is nto to be used with CPVC in a coupelr though. On certain low powered springers and air powered guns, it can make a seal in a way and jsut shoot the barrel out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users