Reggae

Who here listens to it?!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Wads15

Wads15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:17 PM

Heh, here's another topic - I'm in search of fellow Rasta listeners. Any Reggae is to be talked about (Bob Marley, Beenie Man, Buju Banton, Shabba Ranks, Louie Rankin, etc.). Later.

-w-
Pant rifle, wind sock, and bacon wand are funny words, eh?

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:41 PM

Peter Tosh, Black Uhuru, Marley of course... I have half a dozen live Bob Marley and the Wailers recordings stored as giant wav files cause I don't want to make them lossy. The unreleased/live stuff is fun.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Wads15

Wads15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:44 PM

Heh heh, half of my Xbox Hard Drive is made up of Marley & Tosh...
Pant rifle, wind sock, and bacon wand are funny words, eh?

#4 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:10 PM

I like Reggae-ish stuff. My favorites are The Specials and Spacemonkeyz.
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#5 Cadmond

Cadmond

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:00 PM

The Specials are 2-tone ska you silly boy!... .. .. . ^_^
But they're good.. listening to them right now in fact.
(actually, I'm sure I'm wrong on the former point, and that they do go a bit reggae-ish on some songs..)

As for reggae, I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I listened to it more. The most I hear is the reggae that the pietasters play (which isn't really much.)

#6 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:11 AM

(actually, I'm sure I'm wrong on the former point, and that they do go a bit reggae-ish on some songs..)

Ghost Town is rather reggae-ish. But otherwise i have no experience in the relm of reggae other than the bob marley stuff everyone's heard.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#7 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 06:19 PM

Ghost Town is rather reggae-ish. But otherwise i have no experience in the relm of reggae other than the bob marley stuff everyone's heard.

Did you know, a Gorillaz song is based on Ghost Town?
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#8 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:10 PM

The Specials are 2-tone ska you silly boy!... .. .. . :o
But they're good.. listening to them right now in fact.

As for reggae, I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I listened to it more. The most I hear is the reggae that the pietasters play (which isn't really much.)

Ska has a tendency to sound rather Reggae-ish, mostly because both styles of music have the oddity of generally playing notes (as in guitar or bass notes) on the up beat rather than the downbeat. That's the only difference between SKA and Punk, by the way (musically).

Also, I like pants.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#9 Cadmond

Cadmond

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

Wow! good summary ash.. most people don't even think about the up-beat thing. But eh, I have some dis-agreeances... and I'm sure a few people would like to disagree with them. Anyways

Ska and ska-influenced music are different. We all have to recognize this fact. I often say sublime isn't ska, and often, I mean it. Though, this is entirely opinon.

Anywho, due to this, defining the first wave, 2-tone, and 3rd wave is quite difficult. Well.. if you want to be precise that is. I don't really want to define them.. but, it's, in my opinion, not in the timeframe, like a few people think, but in the sound. Not that it matters much, as the former thought is usually a minority.

Anywho, I should probably disagree now. I don't really think the only thing seperating ska and punk are the up-beat/down-beat. I really think there is alot more to it. But I hate genres, and I'm tired.. so I'll edit this post when I feel like explaining.

*edit*
oh wait! this thread is about reggae! oops..

#10 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:24 PM

Sean Paul. Wayne Wonder? Get Busy is I song I like. No Letting Go is on the reggae side. Shaggy . . . ? He's a bit "old," but some people might enjoy them.

I'm really naming the newer, more hip-hoppy reggae folks. I'm not really a big fan of the genre.

#11 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 08:23 PM

Wow! good summary ash.. most people don't even think about the up-beat thing. But eh, I have some dis-agreeances... and I'm sure a few people would like to disagree with them. Anyways

Ska and ska-influenced music are different. We all have to recognize this fact. I often say sublime isn't ska, and often, I mean it. Though, this is entirely opinon.

Anywho, due to this, defining the first wave, 2-tone, and 3rd wave is quite difficult. Well.. if you want to be precise that is. I don't really want to define them.. but, it's, in my opinion, not in the timeframe, like a few people think, but in the sound. Not that it matters much, as the former thought is usually a minority.

Anywho, I should probably disagree now. I don't really think the only thing seperating ska and punk are the up-beat/down-beat. I really think there is alot more to it. But I hate genres, and I'm tired.. so I'll edit this post when I feel like explaining.

*edit*
oh wait! this thread is about reggae! oops..

You reserve the right to disagree, Cadmond, however I was simply stating the difference that a music professor would give you if you were to ask him. Most of the definition of Ska has to do with the fact that the strong note is played on the up beat. I wasn't really trying to give a be all end all rule to define it all.

But in latter news, pants.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users