New To Nerf, Rf 20 Query!

two birds with one stone.....

13 replies to this topic

#1 deth moad ue

deth moad ue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

Hey all! I've just gotten into Nerf...I've got a Mav and an RF 20 so far. I'm gonna mod the mav clip to swing out further, but first I'm going to adjust my RF.

I was looking at an interchangable clip/increase range mod...I don't want to mess with the turret, but I am interested in range.

To increase the range, the instructions say to remove the bladder (by repeated pumping) and then put a piece of a bike inner tube over it.

I'm sure this would work, but in order to get better/more inventive with modding, it's important to me to know WHY this will achieve better range....also, I assume that the bladder needs to be replaced, but I digress.

My tools so far are screw drivers (various sizes and makes) and a cordless drill. I'm gonna need to get a hot glue gun and dremel at some point....but till then, I'm stuck to simple mods like this one (no new barrels, no franken guns).

Any advice on this or other mods?

Thanks!

#2 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

Do not do the inner tube mod. It increases range a lot by putting the air in the bladder more under pressure, so it moves faster, making the plunger move faster, getting more range. It's kind of like banding a spring gun. However, the rf20's tubing cannot withstand the extra pressure, so the tubes pop after the first few clips.

THIRST
ko

#3 deth moad ue

deth moad ue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

OH! Thanks for the advice thirst. that was EXACTLY what I was looking for...I think I'll not do anything of the sort to my gun then...

Is there a less harmful approach to this then? How feasible would replacing the tubing with stronger stuff (not that I'm willing or capable of doing that) be?

#4 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:34 AM

Your only bet is to use some other, stronger tubing for the tubing from the pump and stuff. Maybe that copper tubing that comes in coils at Lowes. You can get it where they sell the electrical wires in smaller sections. Save your money up and go on a shopping spree for the hotglue gun and the drimil. Of course pick up a nightfinder and AT2K twin pack. That will run you about 17 bucks and the drimil and stuff about 120 to 150.

Enjoy.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#5 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Do not do the inner tube mod. It increases range a lot by putting the air in the bladder more under pressure, so it moves faster, making the plunger move faster, getting more range. It's kind of like banding a spring gun. However, the rf20's tubing cannot withstand the extra pressure, so the tubes pop after the first few clips.

THIRST

I've never had a problem with it in my RF20 or PC...
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#6 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

The PC can take it, the RF20 cannot. I had the tubes blowing up repeatedly.

THIRST
ko

#7 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:49 AM

I rubber-banded my RF20's bladder. Does this have the same effect?

#8 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:41 PM

Your only bet is to use some other, stronger tubing for the tubing from the pump and stuff. Maybe that copper tubing that comes in coils at Lowes. You can get it where they sell the electrical wires in smaller sections.

I think vinyl tubing would be much better and more logical, that is the transparent flexible stuff not pvc. you should be able to get it at home depot but I can't remember what section so just ask an employee.

#9 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:46 PM

Pretty much.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#10 deth moad ue

deth moad ue

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

Vinyl tubing eh? I think my next mod will be to inner tube the bladder and replace toe plastic tubing with vinyl....

Does anyone think that it might not hold up?

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

It's not the tubing itself that you need to worry about, it's the connections. At least that's it in my opinion. I'd switch to vinyl tubing anyways though, and secure the connections with epoxy, jb weld, or plumber's goop.

~ompa

#12 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Pretty much.

Shit.

I think I'll do what Ompa said, though.

#13 kickass jb

kickass jb

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

On the topic of connections, has anyone heard of this new epoxy putting that you work with in your hands and then apply, it is supposed to harden like steel in minutes but I've never tried it.
My arsenal:

RF20, Rototrack, 3x AT3K, 4x AT2K,Big Salvo,SS1,SSII,
2x SSPB,SM 1500,Rangshot,2x EaB,2x Mav,2x NF,
eagle eye,2x BBB,2x SM3000, 2x Tek 6, PC

#14 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:32 PM

I have some of that. It doesn't "Harden like steel" but it does maintain a pretty firm hold. It can be bought from Ace hardware, even though Ace is more like the Gift Shop of hardware stores (haha, a bit of craftsman humor there).

EDIT: The epoxy smells like spaghetti.

Edited by NerfLad78, 29 July 2005 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users