Homemade Vortex Rings

possible?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

I was looking at livestrong bands the other day, and thought about vortex rings. If one was to cut the bands to the approximate diameter of the vortex rings, glue and tape them at the glueing point, then glue/tape two of those together, they might be able to make one. It would have to be taped in such a way that they would fit in the gun snugly, and then the spoiler would have to be cut as well where needed, but other than that it could work.

Criticism?

TS

#2 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

Criticism?

Too heavy?
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#3 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

Though it is basically the same kind of material as the vortex koosh ring, it is not the same width or thickness of the vortext ring. The Vring is almost twice as wide, and is also skinnier. If you were able to cut and bond the homemade ring very well, I'm guessing you would get it to fly off, but not achieve the same distance as an actual Vring.

#4 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

The reason the vortex ring gets so much distance is because of the bournelli effect where the air is moving faster over the outside of the ring than the inside. That effect mightbe hard to achieve and make it stable and even.

#5 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Principle viper, principle. But yes he's right, the vortex rings were like ring mini airfoils. I don't think a livestrong band is very aerodynamic and it is too big.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#6 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, good points guys. I was just wondering if it was possible at all. I doubted it at the time myself and was just throwing out ideas.

TS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users