Photo

Why Not, Eh?

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Why Haven't You Joined The NH Folding@Home Team? (207 member(s) have cast votes)

Why Haven't You Joined The NH Folding@Home Team?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

For those of you who haven't seen the other thread, we have a new Folding@Home team and need participants.

It doesn't hurt, doesn't cost anything, and once you install it you won't even notice it's there unless you go track your stats. Best of all it's for a good cause.

So what are you waiting for?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:52 AM

Heh, I'm almost done on this large work unit, but I was having some conflicts with programs and it was draining resources, because I set it at 100% CPU. My mate who idles a lot isn't running it at the moment, and all my other friends run SETI. Well thats my excuse anyway :blush:
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:57 AM

You should add the option "My parents won't let me" in there. :blush: Don't ask why, I don't know, but my dad pretty much doesn't let me have anything on the computer but AOL and IE, but I will ask again and see if I can convince him.

Hmm...I wonder how many will vote "I don't own a computer." Good luck with it. Plus I hadn't heard about it till now, but I don't see why that's a reason not to do it, but mine is, again, not allowed. I'll try again to gain permission and do it, which I might be able to do, so expect about 50% to see me on the list in the next week.

If I can't then good luck everyone and it's a good thing you're doing, but I might be able to pitch in. I hope so.
SexD Warves

#4 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

I totally would, except I'm at NYU for a few weeks so I can't.

However...ompa and I discussed going into the library and secretly downloading it onto all the computers under his name...

I don't think NYU would be too pleased if they found out.

AA
Indiana '11

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, there should at least have been an "other" option. As simple as I can put this, it's all about technical problems. Running a web server cluster and WAN work group on a bloated system with less then average speed is no picnic, especially when you're not a certified engineer yet. Frankly as much as I'd like to help, I've got to many issues to hammer out, most of it being insecurity about my own system. On top of it all, I had a power outage this morning. Checking the logs on both my system and remote systems, there were two users on the system at the time checking their email. That means, almost certainly, data has been lost. Now I have to go dig through backups and do a full file system restore. This is sure to take up most of my weekend.

In closing, why haven't I joined? I work all day and have to come home to a hood rigged system that I've built from nothing and make it work. I don't have an abundance of time to sit here and install new software and then track it. Sorry, CX but as soon as I get another processor box I'll make sure to set aside a priority for this.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

You should add the option "My parents won't let me"

I'd guess that means you don't own a computer.

secretly downloading it onto all the computers

I suspect that this is just amusing talk and that you don't intend to do it, but I'll disclaim anyway. It's against F@H's user agreement to install the client on a machine without the owner's express permission. It's also probably illegal. I like the thought though <g>

Talio, I'd make an option for "It would upset my underpowered and jury-rigged systems that I spend all my spare time admining" but I don't think that would apply to very many people. You could have just picked the Breasts option, no?

#7 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

I heart boobies.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#8 The Anarchy Department

The Anarchy Department

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location:The high-end, suburbian ghetteau, currently orbiting Pluto

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:07 PM

That thing NerfMonkey said. For sure. My personal computer doesn't have Internet access. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

~TAD, your favorite little alien smiley.:blush:
Your mistletoe is no match for my T.O.W. missile!
~Futurama

Suffice it to say this.- Words were exchanged, flashlights were thrown.
~Me

#9 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

I voted "I don't own a computer" because I don't. I'm using my family machine, the only one in the house. We've had to reformat twice already, and it isn't even a year old. One of the reasons for that is that my mom and my sister don't really know how to look out for potentially harmful programs and files.

I know that this isn't a harmful application, but the fact remains that my dad is very strict about downloading and installing applications. I'm sure that even if he knew it was safe, he'd say no just because he'd know that something he couldn't control had access to his computer.

I'm personally fine with his iron fist, all I have to do is ask and explain what I want to do with the computer, and he'll either say yes or no. In this case, he has said no, and I'm fine with that.

If I had my own personal computer, I'd try to help out as much as I could, no doubt.

Sorry Cx.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

I'm not entirely sure my mom knows how to download programs, or how to install files, and my dad uses his labtop. However, I cannot for the life of me get a single friend to download it onto their computer. Well, except one, but her labtop is too slow and isn't always on to really make much of a difference. Everyone else are being assholes about it, so it looks like I'll have to tell them I'm installing a cool screensaver on their computers (which it can be) and loading it onto all their computers by myself.

I do not have a monitor switch, because I have 2 working computers and 1 working monitor, and I really don't feel like having to unplug and plug in my other comp every time I turn it on/off. Plus, my other computer is about 5 years old...

Who the fuck voted breasts? Come on now.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 15 July 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#11 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

How about that the only computers that I have are at work and I need to avoid putting on any software that could interrupt processes that run on a millisecond time base. Seeing as that's not a choice, I'll vote for breasts.

#12 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Who the fuck voted breasts? Come on now.

You must have missed my earlier post. As such, I shall reiterate:

I heart boobies.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#13 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:58 PM

A few pages down in the comments I'm going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that joining the NH F@H team is, in fact, breasts. Then everyone who picked that will be forced to sign up.

#14 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Allow me:

Women in later life (older age) could be considered to be looking for a more stable relationship. Now, stability usually consists of a stable monetary income, a preferably high one. Through signing up for F@H, you can claim that you were involved in the research of such and such cures and technological advances. You could probably use this to convince some naive girl that you are in fact extremely intelligent and benevolent, but factors which may be seen as leading to a decent salary, if you correlate intelligence and salary as I do. As a result, you will get with the particular girl, and probably get your object of value, "breasts".

As for teenagers, I suppose you could use the following reasoning:

Women in my school at least pay attention for at least a short while to things or subjects that would usually elicit "aww" from people (stereotypically). Sign up for F@H, and describe what it does. If they ask what it does, describe how it can be used to research and eventually find cures for multiple diseases and problems, hopefully hitting on something someone they know has. They may think of you as benevolent, and at least start talking to you, giving you a starting block to get your "breasts", although it's probably highly illegal, especially considering the age group I'm speaking of. So uh, don't do it?

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 15 July 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#15 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

I don't think it will fuck up my PC, my PC's already fucked. I can give it a try, but I dunno how much good it'll do, the POS is so slow. The most I can say is that I'll give it a shot. I was tempted to join at first, so I'll try to follow through.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#16 Illadar

Illadar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

I leave it running just about all day/night, execept that for some reason F@H interfears with Battle feild 2(which is a really great game) so I turn Folding off when I'm playing.

#17 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

You should add the option "My parents won't let me"

I'd guess that means you don't own a computer.

No, I don't have my own computer; all I have is the family computer but I might get my own soon.
SexD Warves

#18 fastkill

fastkill

• Banned
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

Not enough memory on my computer and I dont want folding stuff on it!
New Breed

#19 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

Although the time period is unknown, as soon as my computer is finished being built (basically me becoming un-lazy), I will run it as much as I can whenever it doesn't interfere with whatever I am doing.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#20 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

I honestly don't know wtf it is. Can you explain what it is exactly?
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#21 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

LastManAlive  Posted on Jul 26 2005, 10:11 PM
  I honestly don't know wtf it is. Can you explain what it is exactly?

Why don't you go to The Folding@Home FAQ page and read?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#22 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:41 AM

Ugh...collosal crash, power outage, lost slave, filled hard disk and one of the nastiest Yum updates I've ever been privied to. In other words, Leviticus 1.0 is dead. I'm currently salvaging everything I can, but I've now witness what can happen if you don't monitor your scripts right and rig up a couple of slaves via TCP/IP. I'm working on doing some possible hardware upgrades. Long story short, Leviticus 2.0 is up and running with double the disk space as his brother. What this means is that I've added this project as a priority on the new build. I can't garantee I'll add alot because I'm also going to be suffling out processor speed to a German group who's developing AIDS research. I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with it, but they've made some pretty significant discoveries in the last few months. I can split it up though. The germans use it for development purposes, meaning when they need to compile something, they get to use some of my processor speed. 2.0 will still be slow though I'm affriad.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#23 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

I was unable to go to that link you gave me and I still just don't know what it is.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#24 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

Personally, the breasts just have me dumbfoundedly unable to download it. B)

We should start a NerfHaven team 2, for all those like myself who were late to jump on the bandwagon and would trail in the current one. ^_^
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#25 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

Personally, the breasts just have me dumbfoundedly unable to download it. B)

We should start a NerfHaven team 2, for all those like myself who were late to jump on the bandwagon and would trail in the current one. ^_^

If you have enough CPUs, or run your single one long enough, you can still break the top 15, I'm sure. I caught up to 17th place pretty quickly with just one CPU, and I'm about to gain 15th place in a few hours.

Just let your computer fold and fold, and you shouldn't be left in the dust.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users