Brass Barrel Splitfire?

How long to make barrels?

7 replies to this topic

#1 DrunkenSloth

DrunkenSloth

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:53 PM

Cxwq's mod says to use 6 inch barrels to get the best performance. I was wondering if smaller barrels, say 4.5 inch, would result in a noticeable performance reduction. The reason is that I want my SF to be holsterable and easier to carry as a back up. The huge barrels on Cxwq's mod will get in the way imo, and 4-4.5 inch barrels (or whatever barely sticks out the front) will be a lot more manageable to carry as a backup. Thanks.

#2 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

Umm, shorter barrels can make two problems. One is that your accuracy can be affected and generally if your barrels aren't proper length you will lose some range. I've never touched a splitfire but thats how it generally is for most pump guns. Talk to CX though, its his write up he knows best.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

If you make the barrels shorter than 6" you will simply have to pump it less or it will fishtail and lose accuracy and distance.

Actually, you lose accuracy and distance either way so go ahead and pump it all you like.

In short, I strongly suggest you make the barrels at least 5" long if you're using micro stefans.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:01 AM

I had 6 inch cpvc barrels on my spitfire and got 80 ft flat with six pumps(not plugged pump) Then I switched it to 4 inch cpvc barrels and got the same ranges but a little less accuracy. So I switched back to six in barrels. It works fine in my holster with 6" barrels and is not cumbersome.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#5 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:23 AM

Well, I believe if was ::BlueIce::/BuckBogey(??) who suggested making your barrels volume 1/2 that of the airtank. So if we calculate the volume of the splitfire airtank, then we're fucking idiots. From this information, we gather that 5-6" is the ideal barrel length for the Splitfire. Thank you ::BlueIce::/BuckBogey(??)!

I've learned so much from him :o

THIRST

Now who was it...

Edited by THIRST, 12 July 2005 - 10:24 AM.

ko

#6 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

CPVC and Brass are two different barrels. Depending on your dart fit, CPVC should be tighter than brass. So with that, CPVC barrels are generally shorter.

#7 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

I use brass on most/all of my guns. For my SplitFires, I used 5" barrels. It works well, but I would also suggest using 6". That should work well too if not better in terms of accuracy.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#8 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

And as for holsters, I have two SF's modded that way and they still fit holsters fine. You just have to have a hole in the end for the barrel to go through.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users