Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Team NerfHaven Folding@Home

445 replies to this topic

#76 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:54 PM

Not if you get the Windows NT/2000/XP "No-nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option) version and set it to run as a service. It will launch at boot time rather than at login time. It's more efficient than the GUI or screensaver versions too.

Can I say it? I <3 Cx.

Thanks alot, I'll get to downloading that right away sir.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#77 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:11 AM

Posted Image

2978th place!

Congrats all on breaking the 3k teams mark - there's only a week or two between us and 2k.

Keep em folding!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#78 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

both are running windoze xp sp1 with the F@H prog allowed to make outound connections, firewall is a semi-homegrown prog, F@H is allowed to make connections through it as well

i dont know whats wrong, but you can bet my BBB that i'll find out

Edited by Devious, 19 July 2005 - 08:17 PM.

#79 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:46 PM

Well, my comp crapped out running the screen saver version, something with the video driver so I got the console version instead.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#80 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:24 AM

As cool as the screen saver version is, the console version is much faster and nicer on the system.

Posted Image

quasar holds on to second place, Team NH moves past a couple hundred teams into 2796th place.

New contest rules!

When I wake up on Christmas morning, I will check the team stats and send a PM to the person with the highest point total who isn't named cxwq. I will ask them which of the fine prizes (listed on the first page of this thread) they would like shipped to them at my expense.

The duration of this contest is such that nobody should concede the prize to quasar or baelnorn or shinny just because they're in the lead right now. Any one of them could lose access to some of their machines and someone who's been chasing them could get the opportunity to sneak past and grab the prize. Always keep an eye out for people who might be willing to set up the client on their computer to help you out.

2000th place ETA: Sunday

#81 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

How much better is the console version? Can I switch even though I have a screensaver one? Will I lose the past week of work if I do?
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#82 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

How much better is the console version? Can I switch even though I have a screensaver one? Will I lose the past week of work if I do?

If you're in the middle of a work unit, don't switch. Wait until it finishes, then uninstall the GUI and install the console as a service.

#83 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

Is there a way I can get a WU that doesnt take two weeks to complete?

#84 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:26 PM

You have to disable large WU in the settings. I dont use it much so I don't know how.

Consult the FAQ if in doubt.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#85 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:38 AM

Edit: Woot!- 14th place

I also got the console version.

Edited by nerfspecialforces, 21 July 2005 - 05:16 PM.

QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#86 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

Welcome to thehaze, cranky, NSF, Viper, and FIDO! We're now up to 23 members.

Team NH is now 2451 of 39196, having moved up 345 spots since Tuesday night.

We've finally hit the reasonably competitive teams so our climb up the rankings has slowed considerably.

Baelnorn and quasar are still virtually tied for the number two spot. quasar held it for most of the last three days but Baelnorn is on top by 100 points this morning.

Keep adding CPUs!

#87 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:29 AM

So wait, do I have to keep this console thing running all the time? Or does it run in the background or what? I ran the console install or whatever, and it gets some "work", and then it says "Copyright blah blah blah 2000" and then just sits there. I'd like to help out, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edited by JSkater, 23 July 2005 - 10:39 AM.

QUOTE(Arcanis)

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#88 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Do you have to finish a WU to make it on the list? My computer is still working on a rather large one.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#89 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

So wait, do I have to keep this console thing running all the time? Or does it run in the background or what? I ran the console install or whatever, and it gets some "work", and then it says "Copyright blah blah blah 2000" and then just sits there. I'd like to help out, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Same.

My progress log remains at 0%, and when I acutally run the client in MS Dos, it just sits there saying "Step 1 of 1 000 000".

I really want to help out, but I really don't know what's going on here.

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--

#90 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

Same.

Ditto

I have two computers running the graphic one and they are working fine but it appears the one comp I have runing the console version isn't doing anything.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#91 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

Alright, I'll try to explain the console version step by step.

First, uninstall any version(s) of FAH you currently have and delete the directories they were located in.

Download the console version and save it to c:\fah\

Open a command window, cd to that directory, and type FAH502-Console

Answer the first three questions with:
[Your name]
Yes

Leave the rest default by hitting enter until it starts downloading a work unit.

Once is has started working on the work unit (you see it working on frame 1 of x) restart your computer.

It will automatically stop the running process when you restart and when your machine comes back up, it will start the FAH client as a service. If you hit ctrl-alt-del and click the processes tab, you should see all the spare cycles going to FAH instead of the idle process. In general, if you're not doing anything, CPU for the FAH process should be around 98 or 99%.

You are now done, it will download work units and process them entirely in the background. If you want to check on how it's doing open the file c:\fah\unitinfo.txt and check the WU name and percentage done.

If you follow these steps and it's still not working for you, let me know.

#92 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks a lot.

It turns out it was working. I'm just impatient. I was operating it on a mac too. Probably should haved stated that when I said it wasn't working. Meh, all's well that ends well.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#93 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

Currently 4000/5000 done. Is 5000 a big WU?
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#94 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

Cx, since I sent you the PM, the program is working, I'm on 20000 of 500000. I'm not sure if it's running as a service though.

EDIT: It isn't running as a service, I have to start it up everytime.

Edited by Black Wrath, 24 July 2005 - 02:00 PM.

--

#95 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

Hammer, if it's frames your referring to on the GUI version, then yes, it's sort of big. But there's bigger ones.

Work unit completion is dependent on the speed of your CPU. My P3 takes about 3-4 days to complete a WU, and that's pretty much running without any apps going on (I ususally spend only about an hour or so in my office every day, so my comp time is low there). It'd naturally take longer if other stuff is taking up compute cycles so it is commensurate with your usage. I know you know that already [/repetition].

On my house comp, I noticed it measures in larger numbers (house one runs the console 'no nonsense' version). I think it's referred to as 'steps' (I'm in my office as I type this, so I don't remember). So lots of patience is required because it simply updates progress with a line of feedback every so often (sometimes up to 2 hours/ line). At least the GUI version does some neat graphics of protein strings being folded(?), so that one is entertaining at the least.

Fold on, dudes.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#96 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

Piney, the console version does measure in Steps.

My console is updating every 5000 steps, and I'm getting an average 25 minutes/5000 steps, so I'm going at 30 steps/minute. I really want that to be 50 steps/minute, I can't wait to get this WU done and on the charts; I really want to be a part of this.

50,500/500,000

--

#97 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

I just downloaded the no-nonsense console and joined the NH team. Err, I think I did.

When I hit control+alt+delete there is two FAH things listed - FahCore_82.exe and FAH502-Console.exe. Most of the CPU is going to FahCore_82 and none of it is at FAH502-Console, is this correct?
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#98 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:46 PM

I just downloaded the no-nonsense console and joined the NH team. Err, I think I did.

When I hit control+alt+delete there is two FAH things listed - FahCore_82.exe and FAH502-Console.exe. Most of the CPU is going to FahCore_82 and none of it is at FAH502-Console, is this correct?

That's correct.

--

#99 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:27 PM

Okay, I think I might've done something wrong, but I dunno what. I'm not on the list.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#100 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Okay, I think I might've done something wrong, but I dunno what. I'm not on the list.

Cx said that you don't get on the list until you finish a WU, and the list refreshes. You won't know if anything works until you've finished the work unit.

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users