Team NerfHaven Folding@Home

445 replies to this topic

#376 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Prmetheus - not sure what the default is, I think it is 15 minutes.

To both of you, run the fah.exe from a command prompt with the tag -config. You will want to change advanced settings, and Prometheus - you can set how frequently it updates, Lynx, you can choose to set as a service which will make it run the the background. If you are unsure what a certain option is, don't input anything, just hit enter to go to the next.

#377 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thank you very much RAMBO!
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#378 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

Prmetheus - not sure what the default is, I think it is 15 minutes.

To both of you, run the fah.exe from a command prompt with the tag -config. You will want to change advanced settings, and Prometheus - you can set how frequently it updates, Lynx, you can choose to set as a service which will make it run the the background. If you are unsure what a certain option is, don't input anything, just hit enter to go to the next.

Are you using Vista? I tried running it from the command prompt, but it didn't work. Mine is working, but I can't get it into the background at all.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#379 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

I am not familiar with Vista and F@H's interactions.

What code did you use in the command prompt? I might be able to spot an error if you post it.

#380 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

My dos version sleeps after 5 errors for a whole day! Haw can I fix that?

I am running vista and I use the older version and the start menu/accessories/run. I hate vista. It asks whether or not to copy folders and shit like that!!!

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#381 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

You're running the console version and it's giving you five errors? What do the errors say? Sorry if that's not what you're trying to say...

Edit: The only endorsement I would give Vista is a recommendation if you're an uber-gamer. The DX10 support is unrivaled, but not all games/hardware support it either...Bottomline - I hate Vista too.

Edited by RAMBO, 23 October 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#382 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

I am not familiar with Vista and F@H's interactions.

What code did you use in the command prompt? I might be able to spot an error if you post it.

I don't use it. I'm using the FAH504 - console application.

Oops. Sorry.

Edited by Prometheus, 23 October 2007 - 06:14 PM.

I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#383 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:08 PM

That post was a response to Lynx, not you. See the post immediately following yours to see my question to you.

#384 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

Vista say:

CoreStatus = 63 (99)
Error starting Folding@Home core

Excuse my French but:

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING TO MY PROTEIN FOLDING!!!

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#385 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

Sorry - I have never encountered this. I suggest you wander over to the F@H forums, they have some great staffers.

#386 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

So, I've been folding away for a while now, and I was wondering: Does this download an upload information? If so, how do we find out how much it is transferring. I am moving on campus and my university has a 5GB upload and 5GB download limit, and I don't want to be consuming it all for this. I use my desktop so I can't piggy-back off of unprotected Wi-Fi networks at all. Anybody have any ideas?

#387 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

I am not 100% clear on this, so don't quote me.

When configuring the console client, you are asked, "Allow reciept of work assignments and return of work results greater than 5MB in size <such work units may have large memory demands> <no/yes>?" Now, I've gone through about 300 WUs in the nearly two years that I've been folding. This comes out to about thirteen a month (I am using months since I assume your 5GB limits are based monthly). So, I'd say (assuming your processor is not quite as good as mine) that you'll be using 45-55MB both up and down if you set the console to not accept anything larger than 5MB.

However, I am not sure what the program does as far as interfacing with the server while it is processing the WU. I know that it does not have to do do any interfacing, since it will run through an entire WU while disconnected, but I am not sure if it does, just because it can when you are connected. Any interfacing, in my best guess, would be merely the sending of some .txt files. Even if this occured once an hour at a size of a 50kb .txt file (quite large) this would come out to ~35MB/month added to your up.

So, no more than 50MB down and 100MB up/month, in my best guess.

#388 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

I routinely run F@H on my PS3, but does it work on an Intel Macbook Pro?
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#389 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

Yes, there are OSX Intel SMP version of the client.
http://folding.stanf...nglish/Download
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#390 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

Yes, there are OSX Intel SMP version of the client.
http://folding.stanf...nglish/Download

Hey CaptainSlug, that download didn't run right on my mac.
Is there another option?
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#391 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

I don't know. I've never tried installing F@H on any Apple machines. Intel or not.
They don't really have the most effective cooling so I've never even thought about it.

For those with Dual Core processors do keep in mind that you can either install the SMP client, or if you can't get that to work you can install two copies of the single core client in two separate folders and run both at the same time as services. This will utilize the whole processor rather than just half of it. And for some hardware configurations it will even net a higher points-per-day average than a single install of the SMP client.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 February 2008 - 11:48 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#392 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

For those with Dual Core processors do keep in mind that you can either install the SMP client, or if you can't get that to work you can install two copies of the single core client in two separate folders and run both at the same time as services. This will utilize the whole processor rather than just half of it. And for some hardware configurations it will even net a higher points-per-day average than a single install of the SMP client.

Not sure how it works when running as a service, as I don't do that, but note that if you do not run as a service ( ie. you run the console via a command prompt each boot, or if you put it in your Startup folder ), you need to set the machine ID on one of the two folders to 2. Do this by running the console from a command prompt with the -config flag. Make sure you choose to set the advanced options. The last one will allow you to set the Machine ID to 2. Not sure how you run something from a command line on a Mac, but you can probably figure that out.

As far as Intel Macs go, I know two people who successfully installed the console on theirs. What, exactly, was the problem?

#393 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

Not sure how it works when running as a service, as I don't do that, but note that if you do not run as a service ( ie. you run the console via a command prompt each boot, or if you put it in your Startup folder ), you need to set the machine ID on one of the two folders to 2. Do this by running the console from a command prompt with the -config flag. Make sure you choose to set the advanced options. The last one will allow you to set the Machine ID to 2. Not sure how you run something from a command line on a Mac, but you can probably figure that out.

As far as Intel Macs go, I know two people who successfully installed the console on theirs. What, exactly, was the problem?

I don't recall, but i'll try again when i'm at home. College is a bitch.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#394 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

Haha, tell me about it. If you don't get it resolved, and I don't reply, chances are I forgot about this, so feel free to shoot me a PM.

#395 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

I just hooked up 3 machines, one of them being an AMD 5600+ with 3 gigs of RAM. In the first two minutes, it powered through 4/500 parts. It's been working on that 5th for over an hour now. One of the older computers is on 4/150 right now. I shouldn't have installed the graphical.
I'm getting another 2 machines on it tomorrow, I believe.

I'm interested to see where this will go.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#396 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

I reinstalled on my new laptop with a little upgrade in the processor department...

I will have to build my next computer because I am tired of crappy laptops...

Anyone know of a laptop case?

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#397 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

Installing Folding@Home as a background service
Running the F@H client as a service will keep it running in the background ALL of the time including even when all of the users are logged off. To install as a service simply start the client without a client.cfg file present, fill in the information requested (most of the default answers are best unless you have specific hardware issues), but make sure to answer YES to the "install as service" question.

Once the client has initialized, close the client window.
You can restart the client as a service from the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

The service will be listed under FAH with a suffix of the location of the folder it's installed in

You can track the progress of any specific client by opening its FAHlog.txt (records everything you would otherwise see in the client window) or unitinfo.txt (name of and percent of progress processing a specific work unit).
If you have multiple machines on your network running folding as a service you can read these files remotely if desired by sharing the folder that F@H is installed into.

Anyone know of a laptop case?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about carrying cases, docking stations, or enclosures? Laptop enclosures do not exist because the underlying hardware configuration is very proprietary (the only things standardized being interface connectors). Therefore each model or product line has its own tailored shell.
Enclosures are only applicable when there is a set form factor for the part dimensions and mounting hole patterns.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 February 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#398 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

I was talking about a place to put parts inside a case like one would a desktop case.

I just spent WAY to long to find out a top of the line computer is at least $700 cheaper if you make it yourself!

Can't wait until I have a job...

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#399 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

1. I was talking about a place to put parts inside a case like one would a desktop case.

2. I just spent WAY to long to find out a top of the line computer is at least $700 cheaper if you make it yourself!

1. The only hardware you can take out of a laptop and install in a desktop are the hard drive and optical drive. But you would have to buy interface adapters and mounting brackets and the expense and hassle isn't worth it.

2. Of course. It's even more affordable if you don't insist on having the best of the best of everything. It's been true for several years that $1,000 will get you a machine that can do pretty much everything thing you want it to and still last you 5 years before there's anything you really need to upgrade. I've been building computers for all kinds of applications and budgets for about 7 years now. An extremely basic computer for office work is now as affordable as $100, provided you know where to look.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 February 2008 - 07:35 AM.

#400 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

I just hooked up 3 machines, one of them being an AMD 5600+ with 3 gigs of RAM. In the first two minutes, it powered through 4/500 parts. It's been working on that 5th for over an hour now. One of the older computers is on 4/150 right now. I shouldn't have installed the graphical.
I'm getting another 2 machines on it tomorrow, I believe.

I'm interested to see where this will go.

Yeah, don't get excited when you see a new machine going real fast - I've been disappointed at that misconception too. It can be a combination of things that lead to that speed in the beginning being really fast.

Installing Folding@Home as a background service
Running the F@H client as a service will keep it running in the background ALL of the time including even when all of the users are logged off. To install as a service simply start the client without a client.cfg file present, fill in the information requested (most of the default answers are best unless you have specific hardware issues), but make sure to answer YES to the "install as service" question.

Once the client has initialized, close the client window.
You can restart the client as a service from the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

The service will be listed under FAH with a suffix of the location of the folder it's installed in

You can track the progress of any specific client by opening its FAHlog.txt (records everything you would otherwise see in the client window) or unitinfo.txt (name of and percent of progress processing a specific work unit).
If you have multiple machines on your network running folding as a service you can read these files remotely if desired by sharing the folder that F@H is installed into.

Not sure if this was directed at me because I said I wasn't too familiar with the service option. To that extent, I am, but I just didn't know how machine IDs worked in correlation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users