Photo

Market For Surgical Tubing?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

Since I'm going off to college and won't have a ton of time to devote to my nerfhub project etc. I want to become the distributer of modding materials etc.

I was starting with surgical tubing because its basically like REALLY BIG rubberbands that you can only find at my father's place in Indiana's local Medical store. Imagine instead of 10 bungees like 1-2 surgical tubing bands that last forever.

Is there anything else I could buy in bulk and distribute to all you nerf fans?

Nerfhub

Edited by Viper, 01 July 2005 - 01:35 AM.

#2 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

Here's a few websites worth your time:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (search for latex rubber tubing)
http://www.kentelastomer.com/
http://www.primelineindustries.com/ (check out box tubing for 7/16" wall tubing - extremely thick)

#3 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

I would definetely buy some surgical tubing from you. That's a pretty good idea. Now find pink foam and a cache of crossbows. You could potentially pass OMC and IS as the Nerf crack dealer.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#4 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

I don't know why you would need to - you can easily buy it for yourself at McMaster. It's not really that much cheaper in bulk and I don't see why anyone would need more than three or four feet of it. :D

#5 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

What about dayglow orange foam backing rod?

#6 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

What about dayglow orange foam backing rod?

Dude, that would be friggen schweet. What sizes would it come in? I was disappointed to find that pink FBR only comes in 1/2"

I mean, just think about it, FBR... Whoa...

Edit: You don't know of any Indiana nerfers do you?

Edited by MattPaintballer, 01 July 2005 - 12:44 PM.

"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#7 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:09 PM

I'd like surgical tubing. But it depends on how cheap it is and how cheap the hospitals... I mean stores around me sell it for.

And I like orange FBR.

Edited by nerfspecialforces, 01 July 2005 - 01:10 PM.

QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#8 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

Surgical (or latex rubber) tubing is not very expensive at all. The real question is why anyone would want to use it! It works best as a constant pressure source (when pressurized).

If you're looking to use it to stretch something, you might just be better off with bungee cords. You must also remember that bungee cords come with built in hooks, while LRT does not. LRT takes damage very easily, and one small scratch easily will break the tube in half (I've seen it before in pressurized chambers, let alone stretched LRT).

#9 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

Bungees are just a bundle of rubber bands wrapped in cloth. I prefer surgical tubing because it's cleaner looking and easier to cut to the right length. Some has built in hooks as well anyhow. And I've seen comparable strength in durable tubing to bungees anyhow. Also, I've found bungees to be more expensive.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#10 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

^ You could tie them on also. That's only on the smaller diameters though - larger ones would be dangerous. I personally haven't had any trouble with using larger springs when modding though. :D

#11 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

... Surgical tubing is way stronger than bungees.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#12 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

Surgical tubing is far stronger than bungees.

#13 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:49 PM

Viper, lovin the idea of Orange FBR, would you be able to get it in a little more durable foam than the pink stuff? It's realy fragile, like half my darts I made from the Pink fbr you gave me are already kaput. The foam broke down after like 4-5 shots form most of my strong guns. BTW: how would one go about convincing a company to produce Colored FBR? I've been meaning to try and get Neon Green if i could find a place.

-Bags ^_^

Edited by baghead, 05 July 2005 - 09:49 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#14 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:15 PM

Ask shortshit baghead. He got a canadian manufacturer to make it at a 2500 ft min order. That FBR was shortshit's and yes it was a bit fluffy, try using clay as a substitute weight so that you don't have bb's flying out of your darts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users