Is It Feasible?

homemade automatic

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tornqvistism

Tornqvistism

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:37 AM

I'm planning on making a few homemade automatic nerf guns that aren't gravity-fed like the power clip. I don't have much experience with nerf guns, but my friend does and I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before. Has anyone here made an automatic gun? If so, I would like to know how you went about creating it and if it worked or not. Any input will help.

#2 southpaw

southpaw

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

Many have tried to make auto nerf guns. No one has succeeded and i don't think anyone ever will.

And the Powerclip isn't gravity-fed.

Edited by southpaw, 30 June 2005 - 08:12 AM.

Sup?

#3 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

He meant, he's making a gun that's not gravity fed. Like the powerclip.

Unfortunetely, there isn't all that much support for homemades. You've got Boltsniper who's pretty much our homemade guru and while it's quite commendable, many of us just don't have the time or energy to take on and finish those types of projects. Mainly, most of them can't actually be used to play. It's a sucky scenario, because I know alot of guys are into it and would love to use it, however most of them are pretty clumsy or far too powerful. Boltsnipers Far seems to take care of this, however, it's probably the most abitious build to take on. I tried to make a modified version of it and failed miserably (I don't have enough time for that stuff).

No on has made a full auto gun yet, but talk to Bolt, he could probably do it. I wouldn't expect to use anything you build in wars though. It's mainly for show. Consider it a kick ass potato cannon.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#4 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

While boltsniper's FAR is an absolutely awesome homemade, it's still quite a bit behind the kind of technology and complexity you would need to build something fully automatic - which says a lot about how insanely difficult it would be to build this. That said, I looked into it a bit so I'll give you my ideas.

The powerclip is based on a repeating mechanism that utilizes a spring and air pressure. Air is allowed to seep from the tank into this mechanism, and as the pressure rises, the mechanism expands (with the movement of the reservoir being opposed by a spring). As soon as it reaches a certain point, the air is released, and the spring closes the valve again and the process starts over. There are several different designs that could accomplish this, but they're all pretty difficult.

The other option is to follow the Airsoft route and make it electric powered. You could theoretically modify boltsniper's FAR to complete an electrical circuit at the point where the gun must be cocked, and use an electric motor or linear actuator to retract the spring. However, the force of the spring in his gun makes it nearly impossible to do this with any kind of speed without using a huge and expensive electrical motor.

#5 Tornqvistism

Tornqvistism

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

Yeah I looked at Boltsniper's FAR and I think I discovered a way to theoretically modify it so the plunger could be fully automatic, but would it actually work? I have no idea. I'd have to try it out and it probably would end up not working anyway. The problem is with the bolt and how I could make that automatic. Yes I could buy an electric motor, but as you said it would cost a ton of money. Did Hasbro discontinue the Powerclip, because I can't find it anywhere except for ebay.

Would it just be easier to try and replicate the Powerclip instead of trying to make another type of automatic?

#6 Shotty Master

Shotty Master

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

kukos nest, if you made a homemade powerclip, i imagine your name would be there in nerf historyu with the likes of Stephan Mohr and Boltsniper. Goodluck.

#7 Tornqvistism

Tornqvistism

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like a good idea then
It's deep and rich like silt on a riverbed and just as neverending. The currents mouth below me opens up around me. Suggests and beckons all while swallowing. It surrounds and drowns and washes me away. - TOOL UNDERTOW

#8 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Yeah I looked at Boltsniper's FAR and I think I discovered a way to theoretically modify it so the plunger could be fully automatic, but would it actually work? I have no idea. I'd have to try it out and it probably would end up not working anyway. The problem is with the bolt and how I could make that automatic. Yes I could buy an electric motor, but as you said it would cost a ton of money. Did Hasbro discontinue the Powerclip, because I can't find it anywhere except for ebay.

Would it just be easier to try and replicate the Powerclip instead of trying to make another type of automatic?

What is your theoretical plan? Because the basic problem is that you need a source of energy - whether it is from electricity or air. You could also theoretically make one plunger pull fire multiple shots, but if it's any more than 3 or 4 shots you wouldn't have much range.

#9 Tornqvistism

Tornqvistism

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Well yes I was thinking air would be the best option because electricity is just too expensive. I was thinking that instead of using an expanding spring such as the one boltsniper used for his plunger I would use a retracting spring. The trigger mechanism would be very similar to boltsniper's except for the fact that the plunger catch would be located on the rear end of the plunger (holding the plunger forward instead of back). When the trigger is pressed, the plunger catch would release the plunger which would move backward. The next part was the part that I was very doubtful if it would be feasible or not to make it airtight and to successfully make it out of PVC. My idea was to have a PVC pipe shaped like a "(" attached to the top of the plunger. Along this PVC piece would be one hole. This piece of PVC would have to be airtight with the side of the receiver. Along the receiver, two holes would be made. One, towards the front of the gun, would be the exhaust. I would probably have to use a solenoid valve for this hole. One, towards the back, would lead to the air tank and a regulator. When the trigger is pressed and the plunger goes backward, the hole on the piece of PVC on the plunger and the hole in the receiver leading to the air tank would line up pressurizing the plunger and moving it forward rapidly. When it reaches contact with the bolt, the exhaust solenoid would line up with the one on the plunger, relieving the pressure and the retracting spring would bring it backwards where the holes would line up again, sending the plunger forward again and so on. Now the only problem would be with retracting the bolt. I haven't thought about it thoroughly yet. That's where I said an electrical motor would probably work best. My idea for the automatic plunger is purely theoretical and probably wouldn't work at all with the materials that are available. It was more of a spontaneous idea than something I'd actually do. Tell me what you think. If you don't quite get what I tried to explain I'll see if I can draw a picture or something.

Edited by oneflewover_the_cuckoo's_nes, 30 June 2005 - 10:03 PM.

It's deep and rich like silt on a riverbed and just as neverending. The currents mouth below me opens up around me. Suggests and beckons all while swallowing. It surrounds and drowns and washes me away. - TOOL UNDERTOW

#10 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Did Hasbro discontinue the Powerclip, because I can't find it anywhere except for ebay.

Heh, I got a free one at MANIAC, and that's only because they made a special order for 200 to be made (Thats the factory's minimal requirement), so they had a couple extra. The only re-release that they mentioned was the BBB.

#11 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

I gave boltsniper a mechbox for an airsoft gun along with another mechbox, sm1000,at2000, and a rattler awhile back. Let's see what he can come up with.

With the already installed mechbox all you'd need to do is have spring fed clip or gravity fed that drops darts in front of the battery powered piston, the only problem is how much power that will create from that tiny piston, though its more than I originally thought due to the thickness of the spring. It runs on a rechargable 7.2V battery.

We could make a better piston and gears for sure at an online place that charges $200, all they need are the CAD diagrahms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users