Far Project

Another FAR in progress

22 replies to this topic

#1 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:32 AM

Well, through out most of today and a little of yesterday I've been working on mine and I've completed the plunger and the shell of the lower receiver and started on the bolt and upper receiver. I've also started manufaturing the fire control group pieces and expect to finish that tomorrow(I got the day off from school :ph34r: )
Posted Image

Now though it looks like just a copy I actually intend to use a smaller shell and maybe shorten the shells as well. You can't tell from the picture but I used a lighter 1/2" pvc on the plunger to try and increase ranges and combined with the micro darts I'll be using I'm hoping to break 100' with this rifle. Bolt, if you can could you explain the way you cut the 1 1/4" T couplers for the mag well? The plans weren't very descriptive in that aspect. I have a feeling someone will ask why the glue is green on the stock and the reason is I used a toothpick to mix the glue and it rubbed off a little.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#2 i h8 hippies

i h8 hippies

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

Good job and good luck. I am going to try and build one during summer, because if I start now I won't do any HW until i finish it. ^_^

#3 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

All right then!

I know I'm not alone on this, though mine is a lot more "rough" looking than yours...

Good luck with your fire control group. I'll be starting on mine this weekend too, work schedule providing. Are you going strictly 'by the book'?

Looking great, flamebo. Who cares about the epoxy / glue color, you're going to paint yours too, right? Mine looks like it came from the sewer. ^_^

Onward!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

I think yours is "rougher" looking cause you don't have a working dremel ^_^ I'm actually letting the glue on the crank dry right now, I just have a few more piece to glue in and the trigger and catch mech's will be working, I'm going "by the book" as best I can but because of some details that bolt left out in the write up I have a few improvisations like on the lengh of some of the rods. I'm actually suprised at how easy it is to cut the pieces and fit them together. I still don't have my AR spring, I ordered two on wensday I think and I'm hoping they'll show up today.

Edit: Another question for bolt when he sees this, about how far should the catch rod stick up out of that 1 1/4" coupler?

Edited by flamebo388, 20 May 2005 - 12:03 PM.

And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#5 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

Update: I've finished the lower receiver but photobucket has gone down and I can't get the pictures hosted till later(I don't wanna bother with some other site). And I got the catch rod lengh down so you won't have to answer that bolt.

Edit: Got the pics up

http://img.photobuck...de/DSCN3669.jpg
http://img.photobuck...de/DSCN3668.jpg
http://img.photobuck...de/DSCN3667.jpg

Edited by flamebo388, 20 May 2005 - 03:49 PM.

#6 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

Replied at NHQ as well.

As far as the mag well goes. The front and rear sections are both made from 2 1/1/4" T's cut up and bonded together. You could actually make em out of coupler but I used T's cause they are slightly longer. All there is to it is just mitering them and glueing them together. They entire thing needs to be bored out to slip over 1/1/4" PVC with ease.

You could actually not worry about raking the magazine and jsut use a single T-joint for the front and rear mag well portions. The magazine would be perpendicular to the barrel. You shouldn`t really run into an feeding problems by doing it that way.

#7 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

I replied at NHQ, and now I think I'll go pick up those last few pieces at the hardware store.

#8 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

Update: I've finished the bolt, barrel assembly, and I'm almost finished with the mag and upper receiver.
Posted Image

#9 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

Looks very nice. Good job accurately reproducing the parts, and i like the addition of the Plexiglass sides on the mag.

#10 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:27 AM

Nice. God it must be a lot of work to make one of these. Are you going to be trying nano darts on this gun by any chance? You would probably get longer ranges. Brass pipe nested into pvc or cpvc would make a good barrel for this. But isn't the handle a bit small or is it just me?

Edited by Osiris, 26 May 2005 - 06:28 AM.

#11 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

The handle is alittle smaller but I'm pretty sure bolt has bigger hands than me ;) that handle fits my hand perfectly. I am going to be nesting cpvc into the shells for better ranges though I may try a few other barrels to see what works best. And yes, it takes a shitload of work to build one of these, to get to the point I was at in the above picture it took three days working almost all day each day from sunup to like midnight just to get that far, but most of the hard stuff was finished then. Since then I've finished the mag, made a few adjustments to the bolt(it wasn't feeding right because the chamber was too far forward, plus my cpvc/pvc shells wouldn't eject because they angled to much when you pulled the bolt back), added the rifle sights, changed to a 2" long version of bolt's shells and I intend to finish grinding the feed ramp today. Bolt, if you could I'd like a picture of the mag well from the bottom focusing on the mag catch, you didn't explain it in the plans. I'll get some updated pics later today when I get home from school.

#12 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:43 PM

The magazine catch is just a piece of wire.

In the following image the catch can be seen on the left side of the photo protruding into the mag well about 1/8".
Posted Image

It is slightly beveled on the end, similar to the plunger catch. The magazine has a large beveled area to depress the catch when the magazine is inserted. The catch engages a hole in the magazine when it is fully inserted. The catch may seem small but it is more than suffcient to prevent the magazine from working loose. The magazine is not drop free and there is some friction between the mag and the mag well which helps to keep it in place.

The following picture is of the catch outside of the magazine well. The catch pivots at the top where it bends over. The top brick of PVC acts as a fulcrum. The second larger brick of PVC is just to constrain the motion of the catch. Beneath the second brick of PVC down is a section pof rubber band which keeps the catch in the engaged position. The rubber band section is about 1" longs and is glued to the outside of the magwell over the catch wire. It`'s painted black so it may be hard to see.
Posted Image

Hope this help.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of your rifle

#13 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

Thanks bolt, I had thought it came in from the side. I got the springs today, and after installing one found a few problems. First when I tried to cock the spring buckled and got caught in the elbow. After installing a buckle inhibiter I found the screws on the elbow were to long and loosened them till the spring didn't get caught. The gun still woudn't cock because I had made the catch rod too long and I filed that down but in all this testing managed to break the trigger off( I hadn't made it right, it wasn't thick enough to have the hole in it that the rod needed so I glued a piece of brass to the top and thought it would hold) So while I fix that you guys can drool over the finished mag, which has been tested and does feed.

http://img.photobuck...de/DSCN3676.jpg
http://img.photobuck...de/DSCN3677.jpg

Edit: I forgot I had a concert today, if I do fix the trigger today it'll be past 9:30 when I do, other wise I'll do it tomorrow, I have another doctors appointment so I'll be home sooner.

Edited by flamebo388, 26 May 2005 - 07:24 PM.

#14 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Man, those are stubby little shells......

#15 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

I would have made them longer but the mag was already made, I was originaly going to make the shells shorter and a smaller OD to allow for more per mag but I found out that would require a complete resizing of the upper receiver, I may try that out as a second project since I could still use the same lower receiver and I do have an extra spring.

#16 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:37 AM

Posted Image
That is the almost finished rifle, the cocking mech doesn't always cock(I think I may have sanded the catch a little too far) I'm having a few problems with the seal between barrel and shell and I'm pretty sure the cpvc is too tight for my darts plus this gun, it kinda won't fire the dart any farther than the distance from the shell to the barrel(cpvc works for other guns, mainly pump ones) I also had the extractor explode on me, it literally flew off after firing it one time and I'm a little too tired to fix any of this tonight so I'll probably have it fixed tomorrow. On a more positive note I installed a 3/8" dovetail mounting rail as well as the rifle sights, the mag catch is operational and I finished gluing the mag well together. I tested the mag capacity by shoving couplers in it and found I could fit 7 rather than bolts five, likely because of the differences in springs and I probably made mine longer. I'll hopfully have the gun firing tomorrow and with it ranges.

Edited by flamebo388, 28 May 2005 - 02:38 AM.

#17 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:56 AM

I really like the idea with the plexiglass, maybe somebody could do a FAR out of plexiglas and clear pvc parts only.

#18 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

Good luck finding clear pvc, I only intend to leave the mag clear though, everything else will be painted. And I haven't started working yet, I just got up.

#19 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:12 PM

Yo Flamebo. You ever finish that thing? You were so close in your last picture post. You get it painted? Range tested?

#20 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

I was wondering too. It looks great flamebo! I couldn't have done it better myself (no, really). Good luck with it if you haven't got it working yet. Looks good.
SexD Warves

#21 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

Uh, I just need to put a few more pieces back on, but I had made a second topic after I painted it,http://nerfhaven.com...l=back in black You had posted in there to help with an o-ring problem because of the bolt un-sealing with the shell and I was wondering what glue you used because the o-ring fell off, I just thought of making slits in the bottom to help it hold better. I had the extractor blow up on me after making a new one so I fabricated a new one out of brass and it's working alot better than the pvc ones. I also put a new spring in the ejector because it wasn't ejecting porperly. I'll get some updated pics later.

Edited by flamebo388, 10 July 2005 - 01:42 AM.

#22 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

oh yeah........ Man, I feel dumb.

I used Superglue for everything on the gun. I sanded a flat on the back of the O-rings and the glue sticks very well to them.

Well, keep us informed on it

#23 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Hey Bolt,
What size o-ring did you use on the plunger?
Cant find any with a good seal...
I also wanted to know what you used to create the bell crank?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users