Photo

Help With Paint

4 replies to this topic

#1 dragnet88

dragnet88

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hey I was just wondering what brand of paint people have had success with for their nerf guns. Also, I was wondering if primer helped at all. Thanks

#2 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

I've only painted one gun and I sprayed it with a black primer then brushed on silver acrylic. I used all Citadel (stupid move, that stuff is way too over priced.), but I went shopping for the next gun I'm going to paint and you can get acrylics at wal-mart for super cheap. You should seal it afterward with a clear coat though, my gun is already rubbing back to original colors.

If you're using spray paint then whatever brand you want matters, and a primer coat shouldn't be too important unless you're using bright colors. Spray paint sticks fine to plastic so it shouldn't be an issue. Anyone with more experience painting guns can correct me anywhere I'm wrong.

#3 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

Use krylon fusion, it doesn't need a primer and is pretty tough.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#4 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

I seccond the suggsetion of using krylon fusion, or use Testors Spray Enamel Model Paint, Both are designed to adhere to plastic and work really well on nerf guns. If you use testors, I suggest to use their silver as a basecoat, it adheres to erything cleanly and makes for cool effects with translucent candy colors.

Just Look at What You Can Do With Spray Enamel:
The FLAME2k
Posted Image

My sweet D-Cast (too big to post here)
http://www.geocities...an/D-cast_4.jpg

-Bags :ph34r:

Edited by baghead, 26 June 2005 - 12:09 AM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#5 Drano

Drano

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

Even though different paint brands have slightly different make-ups that adhere to different materials for better or for worse, i think that painting technique is the most important thing in making a paint job look good. i have splatter painted a NF with, no joke, 3 different brands of paint. it looks great

The most important concept in spray painting is what is called 'wetness'. it refers to how much paint is applied in a certain spot in a certain amount of time.

If the coat is too dry, the paint particles are drying before they hit the surface. this leaves a rough surface and the paint does not get a chance to 'sheet' together to form a glossy surface (assumiing you're using glossy paint)

If the coat is too wet, you have too much paint and too much sheeting causing runs.

The proper coat is ofcouse between these 2 extremes and usually consists of 2,3 or mabey 4 passes. 5 is over doing it.

If you can find it get one of those grip handles that mimic the use of a spray gun. either the original "can gun" or the rust-o-leum one. some of you may think that it's not needed, but theres a reason why many tools have grips. I wouldnt use the can gun for graffiti art, but i would consider it nessassary for putting a straight consistant coat on a given surface. I have found both grips at wal-mart in both Cali and in Ohio

Edited by Drano, 05 July 2005 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users