Nitefinder Help

copper instead of brass nf

15 replies to this topic

#1 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

I'm some what of a newb with a nf and was wondering if i could mod my nf and use copper instead of brass cause copper is wat i got and i don't wanna go to the store also could you show me a simple mod for the maverick

Edited by trogdor65, 23 June 2005 - 11:13 AM.

#2 robo7fish

robo7fish

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

Yes. That will work fine. I have 4'' of copper on my NF and with three bands it gets ~70' ranges. Also, your darts should fit pretty tight. At least tight enough to where you have to you some sort of stick to get them in the barrel (I use my pinky).

#3 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:46 AM

thx

cause all i ever heard was brass brass brass
oh and by the way pom pom is sweet

Edited by trogdor65, 23 June 2005 - 11:46 AM.

#4 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:46 AM

This is the thing you should read first, before anything else...this article is by far one of the most thorough in the way of getting the principles of barrel selection down for any Nerf blaster.

While I searched also, and didn't find any direct articles (30 days and older) on coppered Nite Finders, it's been my experience and presumption that it isn't the most ideal barrel material (for what kinds of darts I'm using; your results may be better). Others have had pretty good success with it, aside from the fact that it makes your blaster a bit front heavy (compared, say, to CPVC or a Crayola for micro stefans/ stock Nerf micro darts).

Most of the Nite Finders I have utilize a Crayola pen barrel, and achieve easy and honest 40-50 foot ranges, without a stretched spring or added rubber bands. Several people have written threads on modifying NFs with Crayolas; I'll let you do the searching there.

i don't wanna go to the store

How serious are you about modding your blasters? If you take a short trip to the hardware store in your area, you can get CPVC for less than .60 a foot, usually sold in 10 foot lengths and can be cut into shorter lengths in the store. Or, any department store has 10 packs of Crayola markers for a couple bucks.

could you show me a simple mod for the maverick

I think from what I've read, you won't find the words "Maverick", and "simple" when it comes to modifications. Most modders really got into their Mavs and worked the heck on them, and for the most part, a lot of them were happier just leaving them stock.

If you have trouble modifying a Nite Finder, you'd best stay away from fixin' up a Mav for awhile.

-Piney-

EDIT: What robo7fish said. Copper works for him because his darts have a somewhat tight initial fit. Not my darts, they were too loose in copper. Plus, my pinky wouldn't even get anywhere into a 1/2" copper barrel.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

i already have 10 ft of pvc for 98cents and i have old copper i don't know wat size it is let me check

Edited by trogdor65, 23 June 2005 - 11:50 AM.

#6 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:52 AM

i can fit my pinky in my copper

#7 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

have u seen the sweet mav black and white i did that too

#8 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:57 AM

so far i've modded two airtech2000 a scout a titan a bazooka and a bownarrow but all of them were the simplest mod

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:16 PM

Please don't quadruple-post.

Check how tightly your darts fit in the copper, or actually read the article Piney posted. You want a decently tight fit with your dart/barrel for a NF.

~ompa

#10 Trogdorian Grey

Trogdorian Grey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

The main reason copper is good is that you can get it in more accurate sizes than most other materials. Here at the hobby shop down the road from me, I can get pieces of it that are a PERFECT fit for nerf darts. Tight enough to keep the dart in place, but no so tight it restricts movement. I'd also suggest stretching the heck out of that spring, though it's hard to squish it back in the casing afterwards. With the right barrel, bands, sealing of the air chamber (easily done by putting it back together with superglue to seal it), and spring compression, I've gotten 80' -90' distances on my nite finder.

#11 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

when i try to glue the copper it just doesn't stick i've tried like 5 times sorry bout the quad posting do i just have a screwed glue gun? Okay, I will write well and I will use good grammer.

Edited by trogdor65, 23 June 2005 - 12:35 PM.

#12 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

In addition to Ompa's suggestion regarding quadruple posts, please read the Code of Conduct before posting again. Things like capitalization and spelling are appreciated here.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#13 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

Okay so what is wrong with my hot glue, or is it supposed to be like that. should I use more hot glue?

Edited by trogdor65, 23 June 2005 - 12:38 PM.

#14 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

Are you using hot glue? If you are, hot glue just isn't the best glue to use for keeping stuff together (Yes, I'll admit to using hot glue sometimes). However, if you hot glue it in the same spot suggested in the mod on this site, then use the front portion of the gun to stabilize then support (with glue) the barrel, you shouldn't have a problem.

~ompa

#15 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

Thank you.

#16 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:12 PM

Epoxy is your friend.

Stop being annoying.

So what does fitting your pinky in copper have to do with anything?
Indiana '11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users