New Members

Out of hand

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggyman15

Shaggyman15

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

This will probably get mixed reactions, but I think it needs to be said.
I remember when I tried to join NerfHaven a while ago, but I couldn't because it had been closed to new members. The unfortunate part was that I had been reading the boards for a long time and was planning to join for a while but then I couldn't. I was in fact actually planning on writing an essay to join; however, Cx re-opened the site before I even started it.
Well that isn't the case anymore. People don't familiarize themselves with the boards before they join, no matter how many times they are told to do so. I am constantly seeing "Read the CoC before you post (insert name here)".
New members who post just get their count up are killing nerfhaven.
I would love to see Cx bring back the "If you want to join write us a one page essay on why you think you're ready to be a NH member."
Hell, I would be willing to write an example one! Cx wouldn't have to put it on the site if it sucked, but at least he'd know I'm dedicated enough to write it.
I mean, I would rather be here than NerfHQ mainly becuase of this new IMPM member who has started 14 threads in under a month at that site <_<
Obviously it isn't that bad over here, but I'm just putting this out in the open.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

Unfortunately, putting such limits on joining the site would discourage many possible members from joining, especially some members that might turn out to be useful to the community. Sure, you get some bad members with such an open policy, but as you can see, the administration seems to be able to handle such members just fine.

~ompa

#3 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

I see Talio is reading this.

Be ready for a very agreeing, or very flameful post...

Personally, I have mixed feelings on this.
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

If you want to do something about it, start by leading by example. Yes right now we do have some new members who are hammering out their business here. However notice after we tell them to read the COC, normally it fixes itself. I keep very close track of who causes problems around here, and they are given warnings. Maybe not in the public, but I take care of it. If it continues to be a problem they get the boot. Don't concern yourself with this. Are there new members? Yes. Do we need new members? Yes. If we banned every kid that came on here and took some time learning how things are done, we wouldn't have a member base. The site does need to grow, and if you look at the history of this board only the most numb nutted new guys get the supreme honor.

So follow the rules, written and unwritten, and you'll survive. Otherwise, it's best to let us do our job. Things really are under control.

Talio.

Edit - I have something to add. The post above me is exactly what you're talking about. Clear example of a fucktard saying something useless. So when I say lead by example, it's best to make sure if when posting, you have something more to say then "Talio is about to post."
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

if you look at the history of this board only the most numb nutted new guys get the supreme honor.

The Honor Roll, as of today:

bandit 2  (Suspended until Aug 23 2032, 01:34 PM - Unsuspend)
banditsleader93  (Suspended until Aug 23 2032, 01:35 PM - Unsuspend)
big-haul-of-nerf  (Suspended until Aug 2 2031, 01:49 PM - Unsuspend)
BioSin  (Suspended until Aug 27 2032, 11:57 AM - Unsuspend)
Chaotic nerfer 202  (Suspended until Aug 27 2032, 03:32 AM - Unsuspend)
chores55  (Suspended until Jul 31 2032, 10:21 AM - Unsuspend)
Comrade Lobster  (Suspended until Jan 23 2008, 07:18 AM - Unsuspend)
Crusader41  (Suspended until Feb 14 2032, 02:56 PM - Unsuspend)
Delta  (Suspended until Apr 30 2013, 03:11 PM - Unsuspend)
die u retard  (Suspended until Apr 16 2032, 10:18 PM - Unsuspend)
flinch  (Suspended until Oct 9 2031, 08:54 PM - Unsuspend)
fragger  (Suspended until Oct 16 2032, 08:04 AM - Unsuspend)
jaisee  (Suspended until Sep 21 2032, 02:52 AM - Unsuspend)
jpshyboi9  (Suspended until Jan 19 2032, 01:20 PM - Unsuspend)
kirby_or_die  (Suspended until Apr 8 2005, 07:33 PM - Unsuspend)
Lee  (Suspended until Apr 16 2032, 10:21 PM - Unsuspend)
Max86358635  (Suspended until Dec 16 2031, 01:50 PM - Unsuspend)
Mraow  (Suspended until Dec 5 2031, 04:29 PM - Unsuspend)
nerffreak301  (Suspended until Sep 29 2032, 08:06 AM - Unsuspend)
nerfisgreat01  (Suspended until Feb 18 2032, 08:58 PM - Unsuspend)
NoLifeOnEarth  (Suspended until Dec 6 2031, 07:32 PM - Unsuspend)
nomad  (Suspended until Mar 31 2032, 10:29 PM - Unsuspend)
Paintball>Nerf  (Suspended until Aug 26 2032, 05:39 AM - Unsuspend)
Paintballa69  (Suspended until Aug 26 2032, 05:40 AM - Unsuspend)
Paintballa89  (Suspended until Aug 26 2032, 05:40 AM - Unsuspend)
Slasher56  (Suspended until Dec 8 2031, 02:07 PM - Unsuspend)
soccer  (Suspended until Apr 18 2032, 03:21 PM - Unsuspend)
Sohei  (Suspended until Mar 20 2006, 10:53 PM - Unsuspend)
spazkake  (Suspended until Oct 9 2031, 08:56 PM - Unsuspend)
Speedy  (Suspended until Oct 2 2032, 04:00 PM - Unsuspend)
Spider  (Suspended until Sep 4 2032, 02:48 PM - Unsuspend)
strat1  (Suspended until Feb 14 2032, 02:53 PM - Unsuspend)
Streetz  (Suspended until Aug 31 2034, 01:32 AM - Unsuspend)
sugarfreejello  (Suspended until Mar 31 2032, 10:31 PM - Unsuspend)
symondsm  (Suspended until Mar 2 2032, 03:51 PM - Unsuspend)
Talio,  (Suspended until Jul 31 2032, 10:22 AM - Unsuspend)
torch  (Suspended until Jun 7 2007, 09:42 AM - Unsuspend)
VIVALANATION  (Suspended until Nov 5 2031, 10:11 PM - Unsuspend)

38 grand prize winners in 2.5 years. Two of those were spammers. At least seven of those are duplicates of others in the list. Five of them were PB trolls. Two of them mentioned they were under 13.

That leaves roughly 22 members, less than one a month, who have tried but failed to integrate.

22/1523 = 1.4%

I can live with the admin team yelling at someone every other day and NH losing 1.4% of the shallow end of the gene pool. The reason we closed registration was because I was sick and tired of being the one whipping newbs into shape. Now we have more help and I think things are working out fine.

I'll also take this opportunity to ask everyone to please refrain from doing Talio, Shindig, and Ompa's job for them. The rest of you need to follow the CoC, contribute to the site, and lead by example.

Thanks to everyone for making NH the productive, fun, and generally civilized place it is today.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 achensherd

achensherd

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:33 PM

Wait... why is Talio in the list? <_<

Edited by achensherd, 22 June 2005 - 03:34 PM.

Tomorrow is just a continuation of today.

#7 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

Look closer:

#8 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:06 PM

I agree with the general consensus. While this is a place for nerf veterans to share ideas, it is also a place for noobs who try to be smart about it (like me) and is a very friendly learning environment for us. The admin team is having no problem dealing with trolls and spammers, and leaving it open helps the board stay friendly. If you only let people in based on an application essay first of all you wouldn't get many applicants, and secondly there would be haughtiness among some of the members. The way it is now you have to prove that you are a worthwhile individual and after you do the board is mutually helpful and respectful.

#9 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Now I am aware that this topic is months old, but I don't think it's too much of a concern seeing how there aren't any current threads in this section plus this is only 7 from the top of the page. If someone with power thinks otherwise, then I wouldn't be surprised if this post is missing tomorrow. Also, I do have somthing useful and insightful to say here, making replying in an old topic somewhat more justified. But I'm digressing.

I've been a lurker here for the better part of a year; shut out by closed registration. I had almost given up on the Haven until I came back recently, noticing that registration had been reinstated.

I get the impression that many here think all new members are n00bs simply because they are new. But there are those rare instances where a quality member pops up and may not be given a chance due to something like closed registration. I have an admin and two moderator positions at three water war community forums, so I know the attitude at NH toward n00bs all too well.

My site prebans members that have been a problem on other forums. The real troublemakers never make it to us. Even if that isn't practical on a large and popular forum such as NH, it could help a bit.

Another thing, the Administration here has been doing a great job. Allowing new members to join and post quickly reveals who wants to become a good and loyal member of Nerfhaven and who wants a 30 year Special. That works much more effectively than simply shutting out every new member and losing grip on the fanbase.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

See, I don't think that all members don't even give a chance to newer arrivals on the forums. I think it's just most members here have a very low tolerence for stupidity, hence it SEEMS like no chance is given. Closed registration was not implemented, at least to my knowledge, for the sole purpose of keeping people out.

~ompa

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

We only closed registration for a short period - around a month if I recall - because I was the only active admin at the time and I was drowning. Hiring Shindig and Talio was the solution to that problem.

Welcome to NH.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users