Advice For An Airsofter

Choice of Gun for an Airsoft Shotgun

3 replies to this topic

#1 VBUser

VBUser

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:55 AM

Well, I've been Airsofting for quite a while, and just was awakened to the world of Nerf as a sport. Quite cool.

My friends and I play Airsoft in the backyards, with hand cocking single shot pistols (which, interestingly, have mechanically similar innards as with spring Nerf guns). I just got a First Shot, and easily Crayola barreled it to shoot minis. Having read about using Glue Stick chunks in Nerf, I developed my own shotgun shot method.

I stuffed a 2x4 inch piece of napkin, folded over, into the barrel makes a wad. I then poured in 10 Airsoft BB's, and then covered that up with a smaller piece of napkin (or klenex) wadding. The paper wadding is less expensive than foam, and it is biodegradable! (If you play airsoft, I wrote up the whole thing in great detail on Airsoft Ohioforums (I actually live in SoCali, but Airsoft Ohio has popular forums.).)

The First Shot gives this about a 10 foot spread at 8 yards range. (If only my stupid TRU wasn't totally out of Max Shots, I could crack that monster open to see how very many BB's I can blast out!) This is perfect range for backyard springers. I'm gonna Dremel out the little thingy on the bottom that you attatch the ammo clip to, then put a cloth strap to it for a one-point sling. This will make a great backup and/or tactical weapon. The extra wadding keeps the bb's inside the barrel fairly well while not being used.

One problem that prevents it from being a primary weapon: It's single shot, and reloading takes half a minute!

What I really need advice on is my next gun to buy for shotgunning. I want to get a Nerf gun that has multiple barrels to load up with lots of shotgun wads.
* This will be a primary weapon, so I'm not worrying about bulk.
* I'll be buying from retail, so it'll be an AirTech or Triple Shot.
* I don't want to mod too much, so it'll need to have air volume and power out of the box.
* I'm not afraid to put in Crayola barrels, so it doesn't have to come with tube style barrels.

I'm really looking at that AirTech 4k...twelve is an inviting number, with the auto-rotating barrels. That's 120 bb's I can blast out in a short period of time. Also, the 3k looks just as cool. Unmodded, is the 3k superior enough (in terms of raw air power) to warrant the loss of half the barrels?

So, which multi-shot gun (2k, 3k, or 4k) can I buy with the most power right out of the box?

(A few side questions. Is the AT1000 a spring or pump gun? Does it have good power like the First Shot?
Does the AT2k feature automatic barel revolving or not?
Has anyone Crayola barreled a Triple Shot, and does it have power comparable to the First Shot?)

By the way, this looks really cool if you drop a tiny scoop of baking flour in with the BB's. Boom! cloud of smoke!

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:01 PM

The 2k, 3k, and 4k are all pretty weak out of the box. To get them up to snuff you need to pull the barrel plug air restrictors and block the overpressure release valve in the pump. Beyond that, I'd suggest starting with a 2k or 3k since the 4k may not rotate properly with the extra weight on the barrel assembly.

The 2k does not auto-rotate.

The 1k is spring but not comparable to the First Shot in power.

The Triple Shot is similar to the First Shot in power - it does fairly well with a barrel replacement.

Overall, the 3k probably gives you the best combination of ROF, power, and reliability. Check out my 3k writeup in the mods section for internal pics and details.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 VBUser

VBUser

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the help! Always nice to find admins who look out for the noobs!

And now, to raid my Toys 'R' Us!

...Plus Home Depot for foam, and the local Airsoft shop, Tactical Air, for some more BB's.

#4 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 08:22 PM

Yeah.. don't get the AT1k. It's a piece of shit and isn't worth the five dollars. Spend 10 dollars on a Lanard X-Stream Air Max Shot. You'll be happy. Another good gun to get would be the AT2k. It's easy to mod and it's damn good. I wouldn't get the AT4k for the reasons Cx listed, but, I wouldn't get an At3k either. It's rather difficult to mod, and I, no offense, wouldn't really recommend it to a newer person. Although the 2k isn't auto rotate, it's good. I highly reccomend that. As I said, the AT1k is a worthless, weak, puny piece of shit.

Oh, I see you can't get a max shot.. contact me.. I've got an extra one i can sell...
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users