need help

13 replies to this topic

#1 alex6432

alex6432

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:28 PM

Hi,
I just started to nerf and my first gun i got was a nf and was instantly hooked. Well now for the modding part. besides brass what is the next best barrel replacement? I can't find any brass and home depot and thats the biggest place around that i would guss has it.

~Alex

#2 doomforu

doomforu

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

crayola is one type. cpvc or petg is another. Ace Probalby hase cpvc i donno about petg.

wlecome to nerf

Edited by doomforu, 07 June 2005 - 04:32 PM.

May doom great you with a whole hearty smile and milk and cookies.
(I love cookies) (But not sugar cookies)

world domination (oh that was my 5th grade self in a straight jacket saying that)

#3 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

If your using micro's, I'd say use PETG. If you can't find that, I'd say cpvc. For mega darts go with 1/2 Pvc.

EDIT: Thanks NM I didn't think about that

Edited by Sqiggs89, 07 June 2005 - 06:44 PM.

Been a while.
#bro

#4 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

You will not find quality brass at a hardware store. Check a hobbies shop that has RC car and train stuffs.
An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

#5 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

I hear Brass can be found at Hobby Stores.
In my oppinion, and being the only good barrel material I've used, CPVC is the next best for its great quality, and great availibility.
Doing just simple mods to a NF and adding 3 inches of CPVC significantly make it better. Mine gets about 70-90 feet.

Also, Home Depot might not have CPVC (but I heard it often does, but my doesn't), but Lowe's does arround here, if HD doesn't have it.

By the way, CPVC is a good investment because you don't need a metal saw to make pieces, and you can use it on most modern guns.

I say, you being new, buy CPVC, buy FBR, buy a glue gun (all the before stuff can be found at HD) buy some fishing weights (Wal*Mart) and an AT2K pack (Target) and you are set. It's a lot less stuff than it sounds. :) 5 Feet of CPVC is like 5 dollars. FBR, Glue Gun, fishing weights, and everything else used to make your own darts (which performance is much better than stock darts) is like 7 dollars. An AT2K pack gives you two guns for ten bucks. When an AT2K is modded with CPVC, you will get 100 feet (and more with a great mod). It is an insanely easy modification anyway. I suggest two AT2K packs. Quad barrel 3, single one(for some variety and experience) and with so many high-powered guns, your friends will want to get into Nerfing.

Well, I hope this covers everything. Wow, this is becoming my officoal post to all newb topics!

DaViS

Edit:
I can't believe that everyone beat me to it. Thats what I get for a long post.
Noticed the last sentence sounded offensive to newbs, I meant people who say in a dignified way "I'm new, what should I do."

Edited by Davis, 07 June 2005 - 04:40 PM.

QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#6 alex6432

alex6432

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:39 PM

Do you think that hobbie zone would have brass? Or hub hobbie center? ;) Also I dont see any at2k packs at my target all there is there is night finders and mavricks :) .

~Alex

Edited by alex6432, 07 June 2005 - 04:43 PM.

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

You will not find quality brass at a hardware store. Check a hobbies shop that has RC car and train stuffs.

I get K&S brand brass at my local ACE hardware store. I can take pictures.

SOME stores don't carry good brass, I've found that most ACE hardwares I've been to stock brass, you just have to look around. And ask the old guys, they seem to know EVERYTHING. So if there's an ACE around you, try there.

If that doesn't work, I'd follow suggestions and use cpvc or a crayola barrel.

~ompa

#8 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Your right, it’s possible. But normally speaking you don’t. I see more post from people claiming they can’t find brass at they’re ::insert hardware store name:: than I’ve ever seen from people who can’t find it at a hobby shop. To my knowledge there is no major common use for 9/16” brass tubing in construction or home improvements out side of novelty/decor. This being said when you do find brass at hardware stores it’s in my experience strange OD not what fits most darts.

Edited by MysticNinja, 07 June 2005 - 05:09 PM.

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Sqiggs, it's not necessarily going to be PETG. It's whatever fits your darts. Alex6432, 9/16" brass should work, but you can't just say, "This is the best and that is not." What if your FBR is fat or skinny? Just take your darts and try a bunch of things. That's what cxwq says, and I've tried it and it works better than buying something that everyone says is great and having it not fit your darts.
SexD Warves

#10 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, a lot of people have some good luck with CPVC, but not me. My darts are way too tight for it, so I use brass (I'm gonna get some PETG one of these days).

#11 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

I've gotten all my quality materials from a hardware store. Maybe your hardware store isn't good, but Elliot's Ace Hardware works for me.
Indiana '11

#12 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

Davis, $5 for cpvc is a rip off, I got ten feet for $2.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#13 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:59 PM

Davis, $5 for cpvc is a rip off, I got ten feet for $2.

My dad picked mine up for me since it was so cheap, and I never asked the price. I was guessing.
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Lots of Ace locations have K&S brass, The Train Stop has K&S brass, so does Pegasus Hobbies. OSH has Steelworks brass which sucks balls.

Rule of thumb: Try Ace if you have one nearby, then start calling local hobby shops. The hobby shops will generally know what you're talking about and give you accurate info over the phone. Most Ace employees won't even realize they carry the stuff so you have to search around yourself.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users