Pull out the ole' Sharpshooter!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

Yes, that's right... a Sharpshooter 1 mod. Oh, my! :lol:

I hadn't seen anyone post one nor could I find one while searching through archives and the Internet. It's very simple and produces a pistol that is actually practical for a Nerf war and is a pretty good sidearm. So here it is, my SSI mod:

First, I took the gun apart. I took out the plunger and took off the spring and stretched it real good. Next, I cut off a piece of CPVC that is 4 inches long. I used 1/2 inch CPVC so I could shoot micro sized darts. I took the 4" CPVC piece and I put it down over the rod on the end of the plunger. I marked where the CPVC touch the plunger tube with a Sharpie marker. Here's a picture:
Posted Image

Now, take a saw and cut as straight as you can on the mark you made on the plunger tube. This removes the rod and makes a bigger air hole.

Next, take the 4" CPVC piece and hot glue it to the plunger tube. Hot glue it on really good to create a good air seal. You cannot have any holes between the CPVC and the plunger tube.

Let the hot glue dry. After you let it dry, take some electrical tape and wrap it around the plunger tube. Everything should look like this now:
Posted Image

But, before you can put everything back together, you will have to take a Dremel tool and remove some of the plastic around the hole where the old dart rod went through because the CPVC is much bigger than the original hole. Be care and try to make it even as possible so your barrel doesn't end up crooked.

Now, reassemble the gun. Put on some rubber bands for more velocity. It should look like this:
Posted Image

Here's a picture of the barrel new barrel from the front:
Posted Image

Ranges are as follow:
Long: 68'4" (flat with a 1.5" 3/0 weighted Stephan)
Short: 59'7" (flat with a 1.5" 3/0 weighted Stephan)
Angled: 74'6.5" (with a 1.5" 3/0 weighted Stephan)

Accuracy: 86%(13 out of 15 hit the target) at 45 feet on a 1.5'x1.5' target

This will make good use of that old Sharpshooter that you couldn't shoot do to using type 1 darts. Feel free to ask me questions. I hope you all enjoy it.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

That's really awesome. I've got a friend I could buy an SSI from; now if I do I'll have to do this mod. You've been pumping out a lot of mods lately Noid. Good job!
SexD Warves

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

Thanks, man.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#4 chris

chris

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

I hope there's not a rule on bumping old threads.

Anyways, I've done your mod, WITHOUT A DREMEL ( used a pocket knife ).

Also, what brand of tape and glue did you use? I ended up putting a coupler in because the barrel kept slipping left and right. Good mod Starbuck. I'm Getting 55' flat.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

I Dremeled mine out to I wouldn't have any sliding around. As for the tape and glue... it's 3m electrical tape and I have no clue what brand the hot glue is. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#6 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

I had a friend in undergrad who modded their SS1 with similar success. He used PVC thread adapter like these
Posted Image

It's really impressive that, with a little work, the orignial nerf dart gun can hold up to the newest.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

It's really impressive that, with a little work, the orignial nerf dart gun can hold up to the newest.

Oh, yes... with a little TLC, the Sharpshooter can be right on par with most of today's spring pistols. I've been known to tote mine around... :D
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users