44 replies to this topic

#1 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:35 AM

When: June 25th (see above) 10am-5:30pm
Where: Deal Park, Ocean Township
Who: Anyone who shows up with a Nerf gun and some darts is in.
What: Continuing with our trend of innovation and experimentation, Vacc and I have been hard at work on new game types, scenarios, and ways to intimidate you with complex rule wordings.

Vacc and I will continue to post additional info, directions, and suggestions in this thread as the war approaches. In keeping with the tradition, my posts will be harsh and foreboding omens of doom while Vacc's will be uplifting and inspiring calls to arms.

I only want to see solid commitments in this thread; who you are, how many you're bringing, what time you're arriving, what time you're leaving. The more people that can show up to this the better. I do not want to see bullshit posts about how you might be able to attend if your Mom agrees to vacation in Montreal so that you can meet your Uncle, who's hiking to Boston, where you'll grab a bus to Philadelphia to meet your friends so that you can be there by 4:30. Asshole. Aside from that, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there.

FYI: Those of you who attended last year's Deal War, I want to start hearing some input and suggestions that will help ease the suffering of newcomers. I also plan on reposting some of the post-war comments from last year, especially Talio's since he's our resident Viking Philosopher and always insiteful. Yes, there will be a more traditional lunch break this year. No, we will not be serving Clams, Oyster, or any other fucking mollusks.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#2 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

I'll be there by myself, seeing as my ever decreasing pool of friends currently contains no nerfers. Oh unless you count my dad, who, if it's not to hot out, will walk around and pick up darts for me B) .

#3 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

I might be there but as of now I'm working on June 25.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

Viking Philosopher? That is a bit superior to Terrorist I suppose.

I thought everything went well last year, but I'll give you my thoughts for the most part.

Starting round - best I can remember it was an open field with a ridge of pine trees. Matt made a last stand with throwing his primary down, offering Vacc a pistols only duel. The climactic ending was that after Matt threw down his gun, Vacc just ran after him with a crossbow. I liked these rounds, great warm ups.

Grove rounds. Wasn't bad, biggest problem is just the size and lack of anything remotely resembling cover. You had a few tree's here and there, and that bunker, but past that there wasn't much. In all fairness, there was a tad bit of stupidity going down here from a tactical vantage. Every member of the LCM was on one side of a pine tree with Joe and Wave on the other. I had a clear shot on the left side, and the LCM didn't move, eventually having the rest of the Horsemen bergade trample through and take almost all of them out. So my opinions of the games here are probably a bit biased. I liked the death matched, but agian, it's basically a field.

What you did have was that kick ass bunker. During the CTF rounds, it was a pretty cool place to shoot around a bit. Biggest problem with the CTF though I think is that it was really one sided. No one touched our flag in the bunker, and once someone grabbed the other one, there was just mass confussion. I think if we do anything, it might be better for an attack and defend stand point with two flags in the bunker. Worth a shot, but I'm a big advocate that CTF really isn't a Nerf game. Our speedball flag was good, but again, there was confussion. What needs to be stopped in CTF are those long track star runs. Once Tyler or Shinny gets hold of a flag, it's all over, they're too quick, and Nerf guns aren't enough to compete with that kind of run. If anything, the woods might be better for it. Lots of area to explore, plenty of cover. If we set it up so the two sides don't know where the flags will be, but that they will be out in the open, it could be a fun long war type thing.

However with that, you could run into a couple of problems. A. If we do standard 4:20, it could turn out that it's more effective just to kill off the entire other team rather then making flag runs. This happens in Paintball CTF quite a bit. We could do spawn points, but then your looking at a round that potentially would never end.

What you could do however, is make that the highlight of the day. If I remember correctly, after the woods we went over to the path, did some pistol rounds and went to the bathrooms for an arena round. Well I think we decided that arena would work better with pistols (and me not having head on collisions with Chris). So what we could do is get our warm up round in over at the pine ridge. Hit the grove for some mid morning Death match, do lunch, full scale spawn point CTF (multiple flags even would be fun) for most of the afternoon, and then Pistol arena to wind down the day. Would be kickass, but rather unconventional.

Moving on, the pistol rounds later in the day were just standard pistol rounds. Even the two man didn't thrill me all that much. If we're going to do arena with pistols, lets just do that, it will be alot more fun.

Arena was one of the best game types I've ever played. I was blown away by how much fun that was. Four darts, three lives. Someone dies in the arena they stay there. Last team to be left standing in the arena wins. Only problem..collisions with large Scandinavians and average sized Arians are ugly. I wish we could have done this a little longer in the day, it was pretty much the highlight for me. I know, Chris, that you said you'd rather do it with pistols, but I thought primaries worked well. Either way, the game type kicks ass and I hope we keep it in the line up.

Past that, I'll be there at least. I can't speak for anyone else and I doubt I'll want to have to deal with another person in the bone shattering conditions we play for these wars. I garantee you all will feel pain. Walking the entire day without a real lunch break was killer. I'll be packing again, because the whole thing felt liberating not having to leave the park or really stop the action. I dug it, highly.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, I know that I will be attending. I'm just gunnafind someone to car pool with so if anyone needs a ride let me know.

#6 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

I might be there but as of now I'm working on June 25.

Well if you have to work then you have to work, but obviously we'd like to have you there. See what you can do, I'm sure there's some way for you to work it out.

As for the carpooling comment, I hope that's not a problem because we deffinately need some kind of solid LCM turnout for this war to turn out like we want it to. Keep us updated on exactly who's coming.

VACC

#7 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

Something retarded about bacon...seriously, ignore this shit.

#8 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:26 PM

Questions about the bacon from someone who isn't even coming...

#9 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

exactitude is not a word...

#10 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:27 AM

exactitude is not a word...

It is a perfectly cromulent word, evil doppleganger.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:01 PM

Ok, enough bullshit, let's stay on topic here. Does anyone else have any kind of useful feedback?

VACC

#12 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

Alright people, we're two weeks out from the war so it's time to put down your fucking precooked bacon and get serious. So far we've gotten a total of 3 confirmed attendees in this thread outside of the Horsemen, needless to say I want to start seeing others chime in.

After talking with several attendees from last year I have a few comments and suggestions I want to throw your way:

- Everyone who's planning on attending the whole war must be at Vacc's house BY 10:00am, we will most likely have some sort of bagel/juice combination so you can grab breakfast there while we shift everyone's crap from one car to another. Vacc is about 5 minutes from Exit 105 on the Parkway, those of you from in-state should know about how long of a travel time that means for you.

- If you're planning on arriving late I suggest you contact Vacc or I personally to get specific instructions on how to meet up with us mid-game. Deal park is like a small nation unto itself and we're going to be all over that shit. Once the war starts it's going to be near impossible to reach anyone by cellphone so you're really going to need precise instructions. Vacc and I usually use aerial photography to find our way around this place and that is no lie.

- On the topic of guns; I'm going to suggest everyone bring 2 primaries especially if one of them is an airjet. Your guns are going to be taking more shots and more abuse than any war in recent memory, last year we had several people's primaries go to shit after one or two rounds and that can really put a damper on your day. Also, everyone should bring at least one SPRING pistol. Why spring you ask? Simple, it levels the playing field which is half the point to a pistol round.

- Ammo? 75-100 darts per person depending on how aggressive they are. We're going to be constantly changing game areas so be prepared to lose an obscene number of darts unless you really dedicate yourself to scouring the area after each match.

- Food. Once again we will be eating a brown bagged lunch on site. No McDonalds, Wawa, or Dairy Queen so don't even ask. It might also be a good idea to pack yourself a Gatorade or two. As far as what type of food to pack, some prefer beef jerky and Power Bars while others stick to more traditional peanut butter and jelly. The choice is yours my friend.

- Water, about a gallon per person and that's coming directly from last year's hard math. Whether you want to pack a cooler full of waterbottles and carry that around or get a giant water jug is up to you. Either way, you're gonna need it.

- Sunglasses, goggles, or some sort of protective eyewear is mandatory for anyone under 18. For everyone else, it's just good common sense. Any and all injuries will be treated on site by Death (who I think might have a First Aid merit badge, maybe) or Vacc (who usually relies on his knowledge of Pro-Wrestling to ease his patients' suffering).

- Misc. Suntan lotion, tick repelant, and a small repair kit might not be a bad idea. I leave it for you to discuss amongst yourselves who's bringing what.

That's about all for now. I'll probably edit this message within 48 hours or so to add some more info. Feel free to PM me any questions or just post them here.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#13 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

I just got off work for that day so I will definately be there on the 25th.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#14 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

I plan on being in attendance.

LCMers should contact me if they are interested in a car pool. It's not a problem, just be prepared to help fill the tank on my jeep. :huh:
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#15 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

- Everyone who's planning on attending the whole war must be at Vacc's house BY 10:00am, we will most likely have some sort of bagel/juice combination so you can grab breakfast there while we shift everyone's crap from one car to another. Vacc is about 5 minutes from Exit 105 on the Parkway, those of you from in-state should know about how long of a travel time that means for you.

Just wondering, why can't we just meat at the park? Also, Hersh will be there.

#16 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

I don't believe you can watch bad Japanese action flicks at the park.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#17 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

What did I miss?

Edit: Post 100 :)

Edited by RAMBO, 13 June 2005 - 10:41 AM.

#18 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

Well, at least we can't watch them in high-def.

RAMBO, you'll see why when you meet at Vacc's house.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#19 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

The post above explains why we can't meet at the park. The park is huge and we will be moving constantly. You will not be able to get us on our phones during the war either. If you're not there at the begining you'll pretty much be outa luck trying to track us down. Besides, don't you live 2 minuts from my house!?!? Suck it up, be there dude.

VACC

#20 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

I believe Rambo lives in PA. And what's up with this cell phone business, do they not work?

#21 The Fred

The Fred

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

Famine et al,

I'll be there on the 25th.

Fred

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

And what's up with this cell phone business, do they not work?

They'll work, but just as last time there's not gonna be a whole lotta time to answer them between battles and I wouldn't recoment carrying them while you fight.

VACC

#23 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:05 PM

I need directions to Mike's house. Please, give them to me.

#24 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

Ok, I'm just gonna quote the directions from last time. I don't recall anyone having any problem with these last time, but if there are any questions feel free to IM or PM me (IM works better).

DIRECTIONS!

From NJ Garden State Parkway (North or South):
- Take GSP to exit 105 Eatontown, merge into Right most lane after tollbooth.
- Pass through first traffic light and take the jug handle on to Hope Rd. North.
- Pass through the same traffic light again and continue straight on Hope Rd.
- At next traffic light turn Left onto Pine Brook Rd.
- Take Pine Brook Rd. to next traffic light, turn Right onto Wayside Rd.
- Take Wayside Rd. for approx ½ a mile and turn Left onto Rutgers Dr.
- Make first Left onto Columbia Dr.
- Make first Right onto Cornell Ct.

From Highway 35 (East or West)
- Take Highway 35 to the Main entrance of Ft. Monmouth.
- At traffic light in front of Ft. Monmouth, turn onto Tinton Ave.
- Continue straight down Tinton Ave. until road ends. There should be a big gray building in front of you.
- At traffic light turn Left onto Wayside Rd.
- Less than ½ a mile make a Right onto Rutgers Dr.

From Rt. 18 (South Bound)
- Take exit 15A Wayside Rd. North/CR-38
- Merge on Wayside Rd. North
- Travel straight approx 1 mile (through Pine Brook Rd traffic light)
- Turn Left onto Rutgers Dr.

Once you are all on Cornell Ct. look on your left for a gray house near the end of the street with a Red Jeep Cherokee parked in front. That’s my place. If any of you have questions about the directions, PM me or famine for clarification.

It will be fun.

VACC

#25 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

I still find it so weird that I practically lived around you guys when I was younger and Bill used to hang out with my cousin in high school. Small fuckin' world, especially when I think of how many times I've been around Vacc's neck of the woods and passed Bill's old house and apartment literally hundreds of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users