Photo

How Can I Get A Hold Of Andy Of Nerfcenter?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I've tried going through his site links etc. and have come up empty on contacting Andy Grau. Does anyone know his active email? I am looking to help in some way, maybe through funding etc. so we can get NC back into the groove.

#2 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:43 PM

If I remember correctly the finances weren't the main issue, it was that he no longer wanted the burden of maintaining NC - that's why he left it up as an archive that doesn't require any effort on his part.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

He posted his email here when he last commented on the subject.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Coincidentally, the last time Andy posted here was only days before NC's registration ran out. I emailed him with similar requests, to fund the site completely, or even better to take it over, since Talio and I actually correspond with the folks over at Hasbro. Who else gets better info, and who better to man the helm of the site than me and a team of people who actually USE the products.

Here's the thing.... Andy is a pompous ASS. He has never responded to a single email I sent, and refuses to relinquish the NC name and content, let alone the domain. I don't even know what his motives are because I'm clearly capable and enthusiastic about running the site, yet he just let's it sit there without any new info. As far as I'm concerned, Andy is only doing a disservice to the NIC by keeping the site as is.

I have stronger feelings about Andy personally, many of which I share about guys like Hal and a few others in the old community, but thats not the point. If you're trying to do anything with NC, you are wasting your time.
I hate you.

#5 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:41 AM

I don't even know what his motives are

Portfolio pimpage? Wait, that's NO!

If you look at his old thread [C linked to it] you will see his teaser.
http://www.nerfcente...c2005teaser.jpg
Look at the date on the news post, no wonder I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#6 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. LOL, I've known that for awhile OMC, while his graphics are pretty and his reviews are neat the guys ego seems to be insane. The guy claims to have his own "legal team" for nerfcenter and if you listen to the way he posts his language is full of signs of delusions of grandeur as if NC is some fortune 500 corporation.

#7 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

It really is sad that he won't let NC live on. Its a travesty that NC is just sitting there collecting dust. Its been 3 years since the forums officially went down and threads are popping up monthly. Shows you how much intrest people still have in it. Hell, i still use their reviews all the time!

#8 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

If you are all so enthuastic about keeping it going why not make www.nerfcenter2.com or something and make it your own, but keeping it similar to NC.

#9 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

That, genius, is why Viper [and I gather some others privately] are trying to contact Andy.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

Now I don't know about all these personal slurs, I never knew Andy personally and it sounds like none of you do either. However, he always had a much higher oppinion of NerfCenter than it deserved. He seemed to feel that, despite it's perpetual standing as the NIC's #2, NC was the best site out there and was always just a step or two away from coming back as a dominant force. Twice he offered basically to obsorb NH with the attitude that it would be a huge break for us.

The point is I doubt he'd ever consider turning over control of his baby to anyone else. If you want to start a nerf news site...start one. If you can't make a success of it without riding the coatails someone else's site.....well then you can't make a success of it.

#11 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:43 AM

Legal team? Sounds like he's shooting smoke up your ass. First off, use his content! You're not making money off of it, and neither is he. So even if he sues you, what's he going to sue for? Pain and suffering? Yeah, cause you know he's spent all that time updating the site recently. Fact is, I think he's full of it, and I don't see him going on any kind of crusade to stop the incredible injustice that using his content would cause. So frankly, I think we're faced with a put up or shut up opportunity. Either we swipe it, giving him the move of legal action or shutting up, or we shut up ourselves. There really isn't any other option unless he considers talking.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#12 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

Legal team? Sounds like he's shooting smoke up your ass. First off, use his content! You're not making money off of it, and neither is he. So even if he sues you, what's he going to sue for? Pain and suffering? Yeah, cause you know he's spent all that time updating the site recently. Fact is, I think he's full of it, and I don't see him going on any kind of crusade to stop the incredible injustice that using his content would cause. So frankly, I think we're faced with a put up or shut up opportunity. Either we swipe it, giving him the move of legal action or shutting up, or we shut up ourselves. There really isn't any other option unless he considers talking.

Talio.

I'm not quite sure if this was what you meant, fair Viking, but I say save everything to notepad, paint, etc, and repost it on a new website. Update often, maybe even use NC2 as the name to keep the site format the same. Then, if he comes back and says "What the hell?", ask him "What the hell?" is he gonna do about it.

DaViS
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#13 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:44 PM

I am extremely surprised that copyright law is not more well known at this forum. That would be his ground for any legal actions regarding someone else using his site's content.

http://www.whois.sc/nerfcenter.com or http://www.whois.sc/iproductions.net

A Whois returns his email address, phone number and mailing address. Drop him a line if you are serious about talking to him.

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

As noted, the content belongs to Andy. If he doesn't want to update it that's entirely his right. It would also be his right to make it disappear forever. Isn't it enough that he continues to pay the hosting for all those reviews? I don't know when he became such a bad guy for deciding to have a life instead of spending all his time managing his nerf site.

Like Vacc said, if someone wants to start a news and reviews site, by all means do so. When Vacc and I left NO we didn't demand that Hal relinquish the domain and we didn't steal any of his content. This site opened with a few new homemade writeups from Zero, a new strip from Groove, the mod writeups from my personal site, and a completely empty forum.

#15 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Hard to imagine here or NHQ being empty. I can't think of what that would be like.
SexD Warves

#16 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

Cant imagine NHQ empty? Yeah... Ok.

Call him, he cant ignore a phone call, maybe hang-up, but atleast you know he heard you.

#17 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Pre-hack, not now.

I wouldn't bother him with a phone call; that might get annoying.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 06 June 2005 - 05:45 PM.

SexD Warves

#18 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

Like Vacc said, if someone wants to start a news and reviews site, by all means do so. When Vacc and I left NO we didn't demand that Hal relinquish the domain and we didn't steal any of his content. This site opened with a few new homemade writeups from Zero, a new strip from Groove, the mod writeups from my personal site, and a completely empty forum.

You also emailed a bunch of people who were pretty involved in the NIC, and invited us to join the forum before it was entirely opened to the public. That definitely helped to give the forums a jump-start and a lot of credibility.

#19 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hard to imagine here or NHQ being empty. I can't think of what that would be like.

Are you kidding me?
QUOTE ("Devious")

#20 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

You also emailed a bunch of people who were pretty involved in the NIC, and invited us to join the forum before it was entirely opened to the public. That definitely helped to give the forums a jump-start and a lot of credibility.

Yeah, we used you guys... <g>

Looking back at some of those early threads is kind of fun. This forum had a very high IQ when the membership was about 100. It's kind of gone to hell since then.

On the plus side, as of last Friday I'm done with school forever so Karma might actually get worked on soon.

#21 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

Are you kidding me?

*SIGH* One more time...PRE-HACK. Not now. As in, before March 9th, 2005.

Anyway, like most have been saying, if Andy doesn't want to update the site, that's his business. Heck, he's probably even moved on to other things and completely stopped Nerfing altogether. Unless someone has spoken to him recently; correct me if I'm wrong. If you guys want to see NC alive so badly, just create a new one. Prove everyone your worth and create a great website with great content. I wouldn't bother Andy, though.
SexD Warves

#22 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

Are you kidding me?

*SIGH* One more time...PRE-HACK. Not now. As in, before March 9th, 2005.

Don't edit your post and try to make me look like a jackass.
You only suceeded in making yourself look like a little bitch for not just pointing out that you misspoke, and tried to make a little flame into something big.

Anyway, the rest of you are only repeating eachother. In my oppinion, (which changed since last post, which I won't edit ^_^ ) just set out to do what he did. Make your own reviews.

The thing I never understood about Nerf Center, was the usefulness of stock gun reviews. If NC was still arround, Andy would say that the AT2K sucked out of the box. Yet, it remains one of the top ten Nerf guns when modded.

Maybe a mass ammount of reviews based on mods would be more sucessful.

DaViS
QUOTE ("Devious")

#23 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Hey, Davis...uh, look at when I edited that post. That was an hour before this little flame war took place. So you look like a little bitch, not me.

Normally I would've apologized, but since he was too stupid to realize what I just pointed out, I won't.

EDIT: Not hours, only about one hour. But my point still stands. I'm done posting in this, because I realize I'm getting on everyone's nerves. Davis, if you want to keep arguing this, PM me. Sorry everyone.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 06 June 2005 - 08:46 PM.

SexD Warves

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

This forum had a very high IQ when the membership was about 100. It's kind of gone to hell since then.

/sigh/

#25 CaptainCC

CaptainCC

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

Andy's content is Andy's content. It's a thing we call private property. He has the right to all the property since he did most of the work. He has no obligation, moral or otherwise, to give it up. That's the beauty of capitalism. Last I recall, this wasn't a communist regime. He's not a pompous ass because he wants to retain the site he worked to achieve for so long. Why the hell should he feel one ounce of obligation to give it to any of you? See, what we do in capitalism is compete: go make your own site! He made his, now it's your turn. These damn liberals and their warped mentalities thinking other people's property, hard earned money, and lives should be interfered with. I hope he's sitting at the computer laughing at you because of your gross lack of creativity and ability. Do you really consider yourself so deficient that you can't recreate what he did? I hope so; I also hope Andy considers it a compliment that you love his site so much that you feel you have to take his property because you can't compete with its quality. Move to Cuba; your ideals might be better served there. Stop bitching and make your own damn site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users