Photo

Nerf Magazine

Monthly or Quarterly?

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the New Magazine be a monthly or a quarterly?

Should the New Magazine be a monthly or a quarterly?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Well I was having trouble deciding so I decided to let you decide (haha).
Weekly is out of the question. Don't even go there. At all. Ever. Right now I'm leaning toward a full color quarterly, depending how much revenue I draw in.

EDIT:I want be drawing in any, actually. Now that I am E Mailing the mag to anyone who is interested. In that case, it just be an every - other weekly.

Edited by NerfLad78, 26 May 2005 - 09:46 PM.

#2 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

Whatchoo talking about Willis? Did I miss something? You should probably give us some more information as to what you are talking about.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#3 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

Maybe you should look at my previous Nerf Magazine topic, Pm me, or just use the search button for more information.

#4 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

*Deep, prolonged sigh*
And thus, do I make my first major "Stupid Noob" post. And I was really trying not to do that.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#5 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:58 PM

It's really ok. Experience comes with time.

#6 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

You shouldn't start talking about some "magazine" idea when we have no idea what the hell you are talking about; just because you posted an idea about a magazine doesn't mean we already read it. And are you trying to put out an actual magazine or an online periodical? It seems that you are going for the actual magazine idea. Why not just create an online periodical? It's free and a lot more accessable to the nerfing community. Unless you are solely doing this for a profit, you should go for an online "magazine". Just a thought.

#7 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:32 PM

Snake I want a couple of things out of this:

1. Yeah, money is good.

2. I might be able to get people into Nerf.

3. Come on, a Nerf magazine! How cool is that?

Plus, if it gets on the newstand, then Nerf may gain some publicity. This venture can only help the Nerf Community.

BIG TIME EDIT: I've changed my mind. I will email the magazine to anyone who is interested, free of charge. Expect a website or Blog up soon.

Edited by NerfLad78, 26 May 2005 - 09:36 PM.

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

1. Yeah, money is good.

See my post here.

If you are in this community for the money, the only way you are going to do it is through the constant buying and selling of guns. If money is your game, talk to ItalionStallion and then banish yourself to the Trading forum so I don't have to pay that much attention to you.

What happened to selfless people that would do things out the good of their heart and not for monetary reward?
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

I read your post in the other topic and edited the post in question approximately 5 minutes ago. I agree with you fully.

Edited by NerfLad78, 26 May 2005 - 09:44 PM.

#10 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

Shindig, people like you and I are a dying breed.
I hate you.

#11 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

I read your post in the other topic and edited the post in question approximately 5 minutes ago. I agree with you fully.

I'm glad that you see it my way. :)

My suggestion would be to recruit a team of some sorts, so you have a content staff. The first issue doesn't have to be big at all. The best strategy is to not overdo something the first time around, so you have the drive to continue doing it. There is always time to build on what your first issue founded.

Keeping a decent routine (or schedule) will keep things moving; I speak from experience in that area.

I'll look forward to your first publication.

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#12 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

I'm working on it now. I might make a blog to house all te old issues as well. Regarding the "team"... Well... Do Dogs count? Just Kidding. I already have a possible choice for an editor.

#13 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

I always liked the idea of an online magazine. Its tough to pull off though, takes alot of time to get it looking nice and also getting material worth reading.
Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#14 torch

torch

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

Thats a great Idea. I'd defently read that and maybe I could get more pepole into nerf.

#15 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I'm going to officially boycotting this thing. First off, I read a post where you said that it could see newstands. Now let me ask you this, do you know of more then 100 nerfers that live 2 hours from where you live? Can you name one nerfer for every major city in the US (meaning are there nerfers in every city)? Guess what, nerf isn't popular enough for newstands. It won't sell because they are not spread widely enough. Alot of other sports can do it, but they are grossly popular, while Nerf is a small cult. Save yourself the trouble. No one is going to buy your publication, hell some people here have a problem getting a tech target, let alone a magazine with information that will no doubt be just plagerized off the internet sites that already exsist. That with the point that Shinny made, you can be garanteed that it will cost you more to print the thing then you will make. Then there's the issue of whether anyone will read it. What can you honestly offer in a magazine that I can't get online? On top of that, it was tried once (internet mag) and it failed. I will also question your credibility. How long have you been nerfing and a member of the NIC? Do you really have the understanding an insight that I don't have? If not, why would I read your publication?

You need not respond to these actual critisisms, they're all hypothetical, just want to let you know, that while I like to effort put into Nerf, I'd rather see you outside nerfing, instead of sitting inside typing about it. I think you younglings really need to get it into your heads that experience is key in any game, and very few of you have it. Just go outside and shoot something rather then making a magazine.

Nerf on or fuck off.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#16 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:29 PM

Talio:

1. I have been steadily Nerfing for a little over 1 year now. Nerfing on and off for a long time.

2. You're right, but it's still worth a shot.

3. I'm becoming more and more sceptical about making a mag.

I'm going outside.

Edited by NerfLad78, 27 May 2005 - 03:07 PM.

#17 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

Make it quarterly or semiannually as not many new developments happen in the nerf world often. Better damn have an ordering catalogue in the back. For maxshots and LnLs.
Indiana '11

#18 VGN

VGN

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, I'm going to officially boycotting this thing.  First off, I read a post where you said that it could see newstands.  Now let me ask you this, do you know of more then 100 nerfers that live 2 hours from where you live?  Can you name one nerfer for every major city in the US (meaning are there nerfers in every city)?  Guess what, nerf isn't popular enough for newstands.  It won't sell because they are not spread widely enough.  Alot of other sports can do it, but they are grossly popular, while Nerf is a small cult.  Save yourself the trouble.  No one is going to buy your publication, hell some people here have a problem getting a tech target, let alone a magazine with information that will no doubt be just plagerized off the internet sites that already exsist.  That with the point that Shinny made, you can be garanteed that it will cost you more to print the thing then you will make.  Then there's the issue of whether anyone will read it.  What can you honestly offer in a magazine that I can't get online?  On top of that, it was tried once (internet mag) and it failed.  I will also question your credibility.  How long have you been nerfing and a member of the NIC?  Do you really have the understanding an insight that I don't have?  If not, why would I read your publication?

You need not respond to these actual critisisms, they're all hypothetical, just want to let you know, that while I like to effort put into Nerf, I'd rather see you outside nerfing, instead of sitting inside typing about it.  I think you younglings really need to get it into your heads that experience is key in any game, and very few of you have it.  Just go outside and shoot something rather then making a magazine.

Tal, you are being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tough on him :cry: . I recall that he said he changed his mind about the newsstand thing. Tal, you apparently like to smash people's ideas into miniscule pieces. A lot of your posts are diss-a-thons if my memory serves me right :w00t: . Just take a week or so to cool off. :lol: Capiche? Good!

Edit: P.S. : you also add cuss words in every post because of your slogan. There are some of us (me for example) who don't like others saying the f-word (or any other cuss word for that matter) in every post. Also, some people have parents who don't want them being exposed to such language.

Edited by VGN, 28 May 2005 - 09:22 PM.

The founder of the NNN!
Behold!

#19 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Ha. VGN, nice.

I would be willing to help, I can draw nerf guns ok.

-Not (even close or in the same area code as) Groove.

#20 VGN

VGN

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Why thank you
The founder of the NNN!
Behold!

#21 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hate to break it to you, children, but when you grow up nobody cares if your ears hurt when people say "fuck." Talio is very opinionated, I'll give you that, but that's just the way he expresses his opinion. And more than half the time he's right. Especially when it comes to anything nerf-related.

And by "your slogan" if you mean "Nerf on or fuck off," that's the NIC's general unofficial slogan so grow up a bit and deal with it.
Indiana '11

#22 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:06 AM

Edit: P.S. : you also add cuss words in every post because of your slogan. There are some of us (me for example) who don't like others saying the f-word (or any other cuss word for that matter) in every post. Also, some people have parents who don't want them being exposed to such language.

The language used by Talio and others on this board is no worse than what you would hear in a hallway in an intermediate school or high school. I fail to see a problem with their language. I would also like to point out that the post in question is quite clean if you ask me. :D

I can understand parents having a problem with their children being exposed to such language. In the event you do have a problem with this, I would suggest NHQ because of its censoring system.

#23 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, I'm going to officially boycotting this thing.  First off, I read a post where you said that it could see newstands.  Now let me ask you this, do you know of more then 100 nerfers that live 2 hours from where you live?  Can you name one nerfer for every major city in the US (meaning are there nerfers in every city)?  Guess what, nerf isn't popular enough for newstands.  It won't sell because they are not spread widely enough.  Alot of other sports can do it, but they are grossly popular, while Nerf is a small cult.  Save yourself the trouble.  No one is going to buy your publication, hell some people here have a problem getting a tech target, let alone a magazine with information that will no doubt be just plagerized off the internet sites that already exsist.  That with the point that Shinny made, you can be garanteed that it will cost you more to print the thing then you will make.  Then there's the issue of whether anyone will read it.  What can you honestly offer in a magazine that I can't get online?  On top of that, it was tried once (internet mag) and it failed.  I will also question your credibility.  How long have you been nerfing and a member of the NIC?  Do you really have the understanding an insight that I don't have?  If not, why would I read your publication?

You need not respond to these actual critisisms, they're all hypothetical, just want to let you know, that while I like to effort put into Nerf, I'd rather see you outside nerfing, instead of sitting inside typing about it.  I think you younglings really need to get it into your heads that experience is key in any game, and very few of you have it.  Just go outside and shoot something rather then making a magazine.

Tal, you are being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tough on him -_- . I recall that he said he changed his mind about the newsstand thing. Tal, you apparently like to smash people's ideas into miniscule pieces. A lot of your posts are diss-a-thons if my memory serves me right :D . Just take a week or so to cool off. :) Capiche? Good!

My opinions are based on pure facts. Nothing I said was false. If you have a problem with someone who is honest, then you've got tough times ahead of you. You say I like to crush peoples dreams. Yes, I like to crush peoples DAYDREAMS. There is a significant difference. Consider me the voice of reality. If you don't like the fact that I had entirely valid points that basically point to the fact that while it's a noble idea, it's not going to be viable.

Going outside gets cool points in my book. Just Nerf and forget about the other crap. You shouldn't even be working on projects untill you have a regular nerf war every few months at the least. Why? Because the best ideas, and the most useful stuff come from people who play. Thirst comes up with good idea's, but last I saw, he was using a straight tech target. He came up with a semi 2k, good idea, but not really workable for the field. It was a good effort, and through trial and error, we found that it doesn't work. That's progress. For a community to grow it must take part in the activity it is promoting.

Nerf on or fuck off,

Talio.

Edit: As far as the language goes, if you have a problem with it, go to NHQ. It's allowed here and is used often, even by our webmaster. If your parents have a problem with it, you shouldn't be here. Swearing remains legal.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#24 VGN

VGN

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

Thanks to Tal "voice of reality", Air Apache, and Shindig for bringing me back to my senses. I think I needed that.

Edited by VGN, 29 May 2005 - 12:32 PM.

The founder of the NNN!
Behold!

#25 drumsrock92

drumsrock92

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:04 PM

yeah i think your right tal even though there would be some people to buy this magazine there would not be nearly enough money to keep this paper going i mean it would sound like a good idea but nerf needs to be a little more popular to make it work.

Edited by drumsrock92, 05 June 2005 - 12:07 PM.

!!~RoCK oN~!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users