Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith

The Final chapter?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Spaztic 75

Spaztic 75

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

OK, who didn't see this thread coming. So this movie seemed a lot darker then his others, it was rightly rated PG-13, a kid that was too young was in the theatre with his parents started bawling, so what do his parents do? Tell him to shut-up. Personally I think it was a good and fitting close, though others might disagree. The graphics in this one were flat out astounding. At points I forgot it was a computer, the detail is maticulous, even on the big screen.
In the big picture I'm still next to nothing, he never talks to me.

#2 Jester

Jester

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

I saw it, and highly enjoyed it.
Member of the Chaos Brigade. Home to the Elite Iowa Nerfers.

#3 i h8 hippies

i h8 hippies

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:59 PM

I though it was awesome. In my opinion, on par with A New Hope and Return of the Jedi and better than The Empire Strikes Back. At first the prequels were turning out to be dissapointments(Episode I and II) but this one was excellent.

#4 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:43 PM

Lucas owes me some money after the first two prequels, but I felt like I got what I wanted out of this one. Except for the romantic dialogue which Lucas should outright apologize for and the end Vader scene with the craptacular "NOOOOOOO!" finale (you know what I'm talking about). Other than those two terribly lame instances... I thought it was the most solid effort we've seen since IV, V, and VI.

Edited by Evil, 23 May 2005 - 06:44 PM.

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#5 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

It was an interesting piece of claptrap. I laughed. I cried. Not as much as I laughed, though, but they were certainly coupled.

Really, Lucas weaved a lovely mockery of the original series, complete with cornball romance and horrid acting. I found it quite entertaining, truly. Definitely a good end to the first trilogy (perhaps the only one worth watching), and a suprisingly good setup to the original trilogy. I watched the original trilogy after watching this film (DVD... I would rather sans "special edition"), and see that this new film was quite well fitted to the original story.

I just wish they hadn't tossed the new Anakin into the DVD version of RotJ. Bah ugly.

Edited by Zero Talent, 23 May 2005 - 07:36 PM.

"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#6 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

I just wish they hadn't tossed the new Anakin into the DVD version of RotJ. Bah ugly.

On top of that, it makes no fucking sense why he's young in that scene.

#7 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Overall, I'd probably give it a thumbs down, but I will go so far as to say most of it was good enough to belong in the same series as the origional trilogy. Several things irked me, such as how Dooku, the main bad guy of the last movie, died like a chicken in the first five or so minutes. Or perhaps the shoddy acting. Maybe how much of an idiot Anakin is. "In order to save the life of my wife, I will go slaughter countless Jedi, children, jedi children, maybe impale some kittens upon some poles.." Oh, and the whole scene with Samuel L Jackson dyin. "Why should we kill him?" "Because he's evil! I don't really give any good reasons!" As opposed to "He just slaughtered like three Jedi masters, didn't you notice the bodies as you walked in?" or something to that effect.

Also, why did Palpatine's lightning reflect off of Windu's lightsaber back to him? As I recall, Yoda's just kind of absorbed Dooku's lightning. Man did Palaptine look REALLY funny right after he zapped himself, when he stood up and talked to Anakin.

Another thing that always confused me. Blocking shots with a lightsaber. If they made a shotgun, or maybe something automatic, or maybe something that fired bullets are really high speeds, wouldn't the Jedi be in trouble?
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#8 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:43 PM

The movie sucked. Nothing cool.
1. Scenes by crayola
2. That dumb thing that made the annoying voice that Obi wan ran around on
3. Jedi going down like bitches

-Vader did not help hunt down and kill the Jedi, they did not hunt the Jedi, they had clones kill them. Not to mention two Jedi took out around 150 battle driods in the first flick, yet these other Jedi go down like punks from three or four clone troops, wtf mate?

4. Unnessecary flips
5. More space ninja's

-I guess after the empire is formed, marjuana becomes legal, cause everyone seems to slow down

6. Anakin doesn't kill Padme
7. Stupid Chewie cameo

-honestly, anyone who doesn't know the Chewbacca back story is gonna be confused as hell how a General becomes a pirates first mate

8. crappy acting all around

-"You're beaking my heart, Anni!"

9. R2D2 upgrades

-obviously R2 units are the equivilent of Honda's in a galaxy far far away. Anakin seems to have put an engine super visor and nitro system in him

10. Obiwan never serves under Bail Organa

-"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars"

11. not enough of the actual war

-The political story line should have been a back drop to the war, not the other way around. Star wars politics are boring.

12. Yoda/Palpatine fight was about as interesting as an in house retirement center boxing match

13. I can't think of anything that was really cool in this film.

I just don't get it. Why is it getting such positive reviews? Is it because it didn't suck as much as the first two? Well just because something doesn't suck as bad as it's predicessors, that doesn't make it suck any less. Point is, the whole thing sucked. Thank god for LOTR, I would be severely worried that good movies could no longer be made.

Here's the way I see it. The logistics for these flims are off. Lucas is not an Effeminate writter. He wrote A New Hope, filmed it and got the footage taken away from him. Fox assigned new editors to the film and made it what it is. Then new writters got put on for the next two flicks, and Lucas merely produced the flims. I don't doubt his abilities there. I think he's got genious vision, is one of the best producers ever and by far is one of the few film makers to be able to make and populate an entire world of his own. However, this time, he wrote and directed the films, which is obvious he has very little talent in. He bit off far more then he could chew.

I'm actually quite alright with the way things turned out. It's just a movie, and I don't have any kind of attachment to these films. I like the originals and that's all I care about. I know what the storyline SHOULD have been for the prequels, so I really didn't need these movies at all. I am quite concerned however that the DVD release is forcing the prequel shit down my throat. I garantee someday when Lucas is out of the picture, they'll release a theatrical version DVD and call the current version the directors cut.

LOTR, here I come,

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#9 kickass jb

kickass jb

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

Talio, got a good point there. It was good enough for me to download, but not pay to see. Anyway, I'm off to watch Lucas' real great movies....**music** INDIANA JONES!
My arsenal:

RF20, Rototrack, 3x AT3K, 4x AT2K,Big Salvo,SS1,SSII,
2x SSPB,SM 1500,Rangshot,2x EaB,2x Mav,2x NF,
eagle eye,2x BBB,2x SM3000, 2x Tek 6, PC

#10 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

I really enjoyed it, it was probably my favorite Star Wars film.

The action was absolutely amazing, from the very first scene, which was possibly the best looking space battle in any Star Wars movie. The movie immersed you in the action - unlike previous Star Wars space sequences where it sorta felt like the action took place in only a small portion of the available space. I didn't really care about how quickly Dooku went down, it just emphasized how powerful Anakin had become. The fight was still cool and I didn't feel cheated by it. The "Order 66" scene was absolutely fantastic - it didn't seem to me like it was too easy to kill the Jedi - all of them were caught off guard and in Episode II it was obvious that they weren't invincible. And Yoda lopping of the heads of 2 clones - that was awesome. It was also completely tragic and the image of Anakin marching into the temple with the troopers behind him was stunning. As for the one on one saber battles, Obi-Wan vs. Greivous was cool if a little short, and the climactic Yoda vs. Sidious and Vader vs. Obi Wan montage was awesome. If the Yoda scene was dissappointing it was only because it was impossible to top Obi Wan's duel.

As for the acting, the dialogue was poor but there really weren't too many scenes defined by the dialogue. The acting as a whole wasn't actually bad. Anakin's transition was done very well, and Ewan MacGregor was great as Obi-Wan. But the movie's plot and imagery were what really carried it.

The story was phenomenal. The reason for Anakin's transition was perfect - motivated not by pure evil but by his fear of losing Padme. It really made him seem more human and torn because it wasn't such a clear black vs. white decision. In addition, it fits well with Episode V because it explains why Yoda and Obi Wan are so afraid of Luke's desire to save his friends. The writing had it's moments too - I really liked the "so this is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause" line. And I was happy that this episode was more morally ambiguous than the original trilogy. In 4-6, the Dark Side was portrayed as the path for those hungry for power purely because of selfishness. But this movie showed that even a desire for power with the intention of saving someone's life is the path to the Dark Side - Anakin's transition was selfish but not in the simplistic way that I feel the original trilogy makes it seem.

I really didn't find any discontinuities, "You served my father in the clone wars" is still appropriate because Obi Wan never really fought in the rebellion - he only fought for the Republic during the clone wars and fighting for the Republic is definitely serving a senator. I'm pretty happy with the Prequel Trilogy as a whole - it begins with an entirely different feel than the original trilogoy but by the end it is clear how the transition occured. It also shifts the focus of the original trilogy and the saga from Luke to Anakin/Vader - it was always supposed to be about him, but Luke sorta stole the show. I think his transition is communicated a lot more effectively now.

Edited by merlinski, 23 May 2005 - 10:02 PM.

#11 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:05 PM

Talio sir, that was one fine post and for the most part I agree with you.

[[Merlinski Consecutive Non-Nerf Related Post Count: 4,471]]

Thank you. Good night.

Edited by Evil, 23 May 2005 - 10:07 PM.

#12 ShatteredDreams

ShatteredDreams

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

It also shifts the focus of the original trilogy and the saga from Luke to Anakin/Vader - it was always supposed to be about him, but Luke sorta stole the show.  I think his transition is communicated a lot more effectively now.

So Luke, the protaginist in the original trilogy, stole the show from Vader/Anikan.. and it was supposed to be about Vader/Anikan because.. I'm really not following you. I guess now a days, movies are supposed to be focused on people other then the protaginist, or other then whoever the film evolves around...right.

Anyways, the new one.
I guarentee, I spent more time laughing at the shitty acting then actually watching the movie.
I liked the special effects though, those were fantastic.
Other then that.. I really don't think it was that interesting, it's better then number two though.
Anakin is still a rather stupid character, I mean, well, he just fucking sucked. "I'm going to save you and our baby.. by turning evil.. and killing kids.. and friends.. in order to get power from a person I'm not even sure is telling the truth." What the hell?
Vader's last roar was classic though, some friends and I have decided that he was trying to copy Chewie, either that, or Chewie is really Vader's stunt double, but secretly, don't tell.

Whatever, I loved the original trilogy, and enjoyed them very much. I'll stick with the original trilogy.

Edited by ShatteredDreams, 23 May 2005 - 10:12 PM.

"Diplomats are just as esential to starting a war, as soldiers are to finishing it."- Will Rogers.

#13 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

I am going to haft to agree with Talio as well.

Plus, LotR roxors my boxors :blink:
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#14 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

Overall it was the best of the 3 new episodes, but like most I agree with Talio. I enjoyed it for the most part. The acting could have been better. Padme could have been beat a little more for ruining the first 2 movies and the fight scenes a little cooler. (General Grevious dies way to easy... he had 4 sabers and couldnt take one stupid Jedi) O well I liked it overall.

#15 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

Acting is subpar. Dialogue is subpar. I still loved looking at it.

#16 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

The acting and dialogue isn`t shitty because of bad acting...its shitty cause that`s the way Lucas wanted it....... Lucas instructed the actors exactly how he wanted the lines read, and that`s what you see on screen.

You know damn well Samuel Jackson and Ewan MacGregor are good actors.....

#17 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:27 AM

You know, I was thinking the guy that played Anakin was doing a better job of acting once he went dark side, but then it occured to me this was because his character was now a cold hearted emotionless type guy.

#18 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

The acting and dialogue isn`t shitty because of bad acting...its shitty cause that`s the way Lucas wanted it....... Lucas instructed the actors exactly how he wanted the lines read, and that`s what you see on screen.

You know damn well Samuel Jackson and Ewan MacGregor are good actors.....

That, and the script itself. What made the last few scenes of Empire good? You were pulled in by the tension and the drama, not distracted by the fighting. The whole dual between Luke and Vader was just a conversation punctuated by occasional dualing. Even during the actuall combat, Mark Hamill does a decent job of showing anger, desperation, outrage, and fear. In ep. III the end is just a bunch of overdone and flashy lightsaber coreogrophy interupted by half-hearted dialogue. The only facial expression any of the characters ever showed in Revenge of the Sith during a dual was the "I'm gonna kick your ass" face. Even yoda's got to have a goddamn bad-ass facial expression and pose.

In the origonal movies you had good directing, passionate actors, the best action elements (well done lightsaber fights, harrison ford, chewbacca taking care of buisiness) an emotional script that's easey to follow and identify with, and the best damn soundtrack anyone could want.

The new movies have crappy direction on the part of a guy who's lost all his enthusiasm and desire to make an entertaining movie, otherwise good actors playing one dimensional characters (fucking mace windu has about as much depth as a guest villan on the A-Team), way too much focus on stunts and coreography without any support from the rest of the plot, a predictable script with really subpar attempts at intrigue, and an obviously frustrated but insanely talented composer who has no idea how to save the script.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#19 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

Oh hell yeah. The special effects, sound, and the whole visual aspect was amazing. But script and love scence sucked major ass. The sounds effects where great too, except the whole thing about there not being any sound in space... :blink:
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#20 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

Ah, you forget one major aspect. This all happened a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. So we can't criticize Lucas for portraying history. And, who knows, maybe there was sound in space in that time era and place.

AA
Indiana '11

#21 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

we can't criticize Lucas for portraying history

Hush!

Langley, guest villian on the A team....I almost had an accident.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#22 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

I cant believe nobody remembers the greatest part. Remember that trippy show palpatine was watching whn anikin walked in. Those weird balls of water that the snake thingies were swimmin around in.

-tEx

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#23 Spaztic 75

Spaztic 75

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:02 PM

Although the appearance of Chewie was unnessisary, it does line up with the story, if you read some of the books you would know that wookies have a long life-span, and that their homeworld was invaded and Chewie was taken as a slave only to be saved by Han who refused to execute him. Although you'd think Chewie would have said something to Luke about Yoda.
In the big picture I'm still next to nothing, he never talks to me.

#24 buddynerfer

buddynerfer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

You read the books? :)
I'm just kidding.
I thought it was ok-ok. I didn't like how Yoda failed to even injure the Emperor.
But some of the scenes were quite powerful, like when the cowering little 7-year old padawan, says to Aniakan(or Darth Vader, to be correct) "can we come out now?" and he just lights his lightsaber. That made my uncle start crying. But. Lucas says he wants that B-movie feel to it, but he went a little lower like B- or C.
One thing it needed, A ROtJ-esqe musical scene. That would have been awsome.
Adversity breeds genuis!

#25 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:00 AM

Apparently they cut out a scene with Padme and some other basically planting the seeds of the rebal alliance. I think that scene would have been good to have myself. In the next movie the rebels just seem to be there suddenly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users