Next-gen Console E3 Pics

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft

75 replies to this topic

#26 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

I honestly don't think xbox will get off to a jump start until halo 3 hits shelves. Sure, Perfect Dark Zero looks like its gonna be popular, but it's just a space filler upper until Halo. I also heard ps3 and halo 3 come out the same day? I don't know. And what is this I hear about downloading games for the revolution, someone explain.
Universtiy of Illinois Fighting Illini

#27 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

You can download any nintendo game ever made onto your revolution from home. And yes X-box will be releasing halo-3 on the same day as the PS3 gets released.

#28 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:44 PM

Like it’s been said how developers use the hardware is what is most important. Though what is being forgotten it that it’s quickly (this system generation in particular) becoming much easier for developers to avoid being restrained to one system, making multiplatform games is easier. What is most important is what the consol manufacturers will offer for exclusivity. In that Microsoft has the edge.

My 1.99~ cents.
An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

#29 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

What is most important is what the consol manufacturers will offer for exclusivity. In that Microsoft has the edge.

I agree with your first point but MS having the edge in exclusive franchises is rediculous.

The only exclusive xbox title that the average gamer cares about is Halo.

Heard of Zelda? Mario? Metroid? I think Nintendo does absolutely everything wrong as far as hardware development and marketing go. Fortunately for them, they have several of the most compelling franchises ever.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#30 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

All three are going to be comperable performance wise....its how they market em and play their cards that will dictate its success. PS2 did well because it came out before Xbox and gamecube...so everyone bought one. There really aren`t that many proprietary games to PS2. I own an Xbox and a gamecube but no PS2. I have yet to find a game that I said "damn, I wish I had a PS2 to play that on". With the 360 releasing before the PS3, then Sony needs to change this and score some killer PS3 only games. Otherwise I don`t see the PS3 doing well if the game selection is similar to the PS2.

The Nintendo franchises (Mario, Zelda, MEtroid.....) are goldmines and I don`t know why they explot them more.

#31 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

The only exclusive xbox title that the average gamer cares about is Halo.

Mostly true, but MS does hold the Perfect Dark, Ninja Gaiden, Oddworld, Dead of Alive and Elder Scrolls franchises which are all pretty hard hitting. However, I still do agree with you and bolt that Mario, Zelda and Metroid blow all of those out of the water. Personally, as a hardcore Nintendo junkie, I'd like to see the Revoloution come out as the dominant console.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#32 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

Your right; let me try restating what I meant.
Sony is undoubtedly devious when it comes to hardware device or format exclusivity. Microsoft as a whole, its advertising departments, its software development departments, and research departments have more experience with eliminating competitors by buying out or otherwise gaining access to exclusivity. Though I may be lookings at thing in to wide a scope; Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are massive companies with comparable histories I suppose. Loyalty is hard to compete with I will say that, but in the end the customer wants what they want.

Edited by MysticNinja, 19 May 2005 - 06:18 PM.

#33 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

I love how Microsoft "owns" the Perfect Dark line. Even though it was the N64 that made PD worth a shit. It still pisses me off that Microsoft bought Rare.

The only one I'll consider picking up is the Revolution. Nintendo has consistently proven to me to have the most engaging games.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#34 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that Microsoft bought Bungie to make Halo console-exculsive, nobody here would give two shits about the xbox. And don't deny it, because it is true.

Another thing to consider-Microsoft and Nintendo are going to be losing in the sense that the PS3 is using the disc format which is probably going to become the standard within the next few years. And if you whine about "who needs 25 gb blah" realise that you can't fit hi-definition video onto a dvd. It's going to keep going up and up.
Morons With Guns own you.

#35 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:35 PM

Revolution or the PS3 are probably gonna come out on top.

Dont make me come through the computer and crush you. That is the worst statment I ever heard.

I eat Microsoft fanboys, kid.

From what ive seen of PS3 in one game the enemys were still expressionless, detailless black shadows. The graphics were also not comparable to the trailers ive seen of 360.

but it doesn't really matter, just how the developers use it

Exactly. Microsofts affiliated devlopers just used it better making the graphics better.

Also, ps2 wrecked their system by overloading it with sports games and thell probably do it again. Thats all that ever came out for it basically. Sure RE4 came out for it but GameCube had it and even with better graphics.

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#36 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

Guys, this truly is no debate. Doesn't the xbox 360 have some form of connectivity with...*gasp*Windows. Maybe some windows features even?

Right, so, can I have a stable video game system? Preferably one that can't be *SOD nuked.
Tyranny Response Team

#37 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that Microsoft bought Bungie to make Halo console-exculsive, nobody here would give two shits about the xbox. And don't deny it, because it is true.

2 years ago I didn`t have any of em. I was a PC gamer only. I bought an Xbox mainly for its ability to be modded. True, you can mod a PS2, but there isn`t nearly as much homebrew software out there for it. Xecuter and Xodus are already diving into the hardware and software of the 360 and I don`t doubt that there will be a modchip out for it soon after its release. And for that reason alone....I will probably buy one. Microsoft actually supports the homebrew crowd and realizes it is a good segment of their market. I beleive/hope that will continue and carry over to the 360.

I think Sony will get the "cool" points for having HD-DVD compatibility and I bet they use it heavily in there marketing campaign, but I seriously doubt that there will be many games large enough to require it. The current Xbox has a dual layer DVD-9 drive so it could technically read a disc with up to 9 gigs. No game I have ever seen has exceeded 4.5 gigs. The 360 will have same drive so MS obviously doesn`t think games will pass the 9 gig mark either. I would be willing to bet that even though the the PS3 has the drive, the games will still be put on cheapest medium...ie standard DVD or dual layer.

#38 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

So shiny :ph34r: and awesome.

#39 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:30 AM

Revolution or the PS3 are probably gonna come out on top.

Dont make me come through the computer and crush you. That is the worst statment I ever heard.

I eat Microsoft fanboys, kid.

From what ive seen of PS3 in one game the enemys were still expressionless, detailless black shadows. The graphics were also not comparable to the trailers ive seen of 360.

but it doesn't really matter, just how the developers use it

Exactly. Microsofts affiliated devlopers just used it better making the graphics better.

Also, ps2 wrecked their system by overloading it with sports games and thell probably do it again. Thats all that ever came out for it basically. Sure RE4 came out for it but GameCube had it and even with better graphics.

First off; you better tell me what game you're talking about because there's probably a reason theyre like that. Have you seen Killzone 2 dude?

Besides, if the Xbox 360 is so great, why is there no graphical difference between the Xbox and 360 versions of Tiger Woods Golf 2005?

And overloading with sports games? PS2 had an awesome group of third-party developers and there were plenty of arcade ports, fighting, and action games.

#40 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:59 AM

The nintendo Revolution will win, at least in my mind, PS2 and Xbox only had good violent games. Sometimes those games are good to take stress away, but nothing beats a old fashion snowboarding, or spaceship racing game. Im gonna be flamed for saying this...

A game doesnt need to have so much blood and gore it makes a butcher faint.
Or so much graphics that it makes your head hurt.

#41 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Nintendo won't come out on top unless Halo 3 is a bust. PS3 Won't come out on top unless Halo 3 is a bust. Xbox 360 will come out on top unless Halo 3 is a bust.

I think it will end up being the Xbox on top, Nintendo in the middle, and PS3 at the bottom.

Edited by Jin Kazama, 20 May 2005 - 12:33 PM.

Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#42 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

I think you can bet that I will be buying the Nintendo Revolution. There are so many games that Nintendo has put out over the years that I would love to play. The ability to download past games, would be the biggest reason why I would buy it. The chance to play games like Super Mario Brothers 3 again is worth 300 bucks.

I brought my N64 to school, and that was awesome. Over the course of finals week, I played nothing but Goldeneye and couldn't have been happier.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#43 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

New GameBoy Micro. Note how small the game cartridge to system ratio is. This thing has the highest resolution of any GameBoy.

From my exclusive log-on info on Nintendo's Press Site. Don't try to go there yourself - you need a password. :wink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look how small it is...here's a digital photo from E3 at Nintendo's Press Conference.

http://img223.echo.c...6/object9ev.jpg
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#44 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

That's because your watching the Killzone 2 trailer. The helghast (killzone enemies) are suppost to be detailless black shadows, it's part of the atmosphere of the game. Also, the trailer only showed basic grunts, the faces of commanders aren't hidden by the space nazi gas masks, and therefore will be alot more detailed.

I'm definitely getting the ps3, I love Red Faction too much.

Edited by rusty, 20 May 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#45 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

That's because your watching the Killzone 2 trailer. The helghast (killzone enemies) are suppost to be detailless black shadows, it's part of the atmosphere of the game.

So part of the atmosphere is for devlopers to be lazy and make more crappy games where you cant see youre enemy. It seems like to me just a cop-out.

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#46 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

That's because your watching the Killzone 2 trailer. The helghast (killzone enemies) are suppost to be detailless black shadows, it's part of the atmosphere of the game. Also, the trailer only showed basic grunts, the faces of commanders aren't hidden by the space nazi gas masks, and therefore will be alot more detailed.

I watched that trailer. For awhile there, it blew me away. Then something occured to me: There was absolutely no actual gameplay in that trailer. I then had a good laugh. Maybe I am just insane, but in my experience if a game dosen't show gameplay in it's trailer, the game it'self isn't going to be that pretty.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#47 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

So part of the atmosphere is for devlopers to be lazy and make more crappy games where you cant see youre enemy. It seems like to me just a cop-out.

Yes, because an entire game system's atmosphere is defined by one trailer ^_^ .

Nerforbust - ever heard of SSX?

Whoever said that games are becoming more multi-platform is right. And that's the reason that most of you guys are looking at the wrong thing. A lot of you are dismissing the PS3 because Sony doesn't have a lot of exclusive developer contracts. But the PS2 is by far the best selling of any current console. While die-hard fans are likely to buy a system just to play a single game, the majority of consumers just look for one system that has a lot of games and that they like to use. That's what was so popular about the PS2 - there is a huge game library and it's controllers were better in my opinion than the X-Box's or Gamecube.

#48 Shotty Master

Shotty Master

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

I got this in my email the other day.

Hey Ubisoft fans!

You might know that this week is an exciting time in the video game industry - the week when all of the year's top games are unveiled at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles. For those of you who can't be there in person, check into ubi.com for an inside look at all the exciting events and news on Ubisoft's mind-blowing lineup, as well as some hot trailers and deals on new and old games.

Ubisoft's E3 Lineup

Peter Jackson's King Kong
The Official Game of the Movie

Groundbreaking Collaboration between Visionary Creative Talents: Acclaimed game creator Michel Ancel and the Montpellier studio working in collaboration with Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson and visual-effects company Weta Ltd. to develop a game that will capture the imagination, vision and emotion of the Effeminate film in impressive detail.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® 3
www.ghostrecon.com

Also to be unveiled this week is Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 3, one of the first games to storm next-generation consoles. Showcasing the real, advanced military technology of America's future soldier, Ghost Recon will take you to the battlefields of tomorrow and drop you into an urban war zone. Stay tuned to GhostRecon.com for intense gameplay trailers and more news.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Prince of Persia® 3
www.princeofpersiagame.com

Battle your way through stunning new Babylon environments as two formidable warriors - the Prince and his darker self - in this masterful blend of combat, stealth, platforming, and puzzle gameplay. Check back soon for a first look at what will be one of the best trailers at E3, and find out why Prince of Persia 3 will be the best in the series.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Far Cry Instincts™
www.farcrygame.com

Stranded on a remote island, hunted by hordes of mercenaries, Jack Carver will need more than an awesome arsenal to survive this wilderness hell. Luckily - unnervingly - he finds himself growing faster. Stronger. Better equipped to kill than ever before. He is evolving into the ultimate predator, and there is nothing he won't do to destroy his would-be hunters now. Check out the console action here.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Heroes of Might & Magic® V
www.mightandmagic.com

The world of Heroes has been consumed by a battle between chaos and order. Wave after wave of monstrous entities are assaulting the kingdom, intent on destroying all that is good. Your renowned party of heroes must defeat the forces of evil and save the realm. Witness the amazing next-generation visuals of this anticipated strategy game here.

ESRB Rating Pending.

AND 1® Streetball
www.and1streetballgame.com

Ever wonder what it feels like to electrify the crowds with jaw-dropping streetball moves? Ever wanted to step into the shoes of AND 1 legends such as AO, The Professor, Sik-Wit-It, or others? Check in to www.and1streetballgame.com for an exclusive look at the AND 1 Streetball game trailer, and check out the skills, style, and original moves that could make you a playground legend.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Blazing Angels™: Squadrons of WWII
www.blazing-angels.com

Lead your squadron of Blazing Angels through the most famous air battles of World War II. Fly through Germany's industrial terrain for a bombing raid, engage in fierce dogfights over the Pacific, or emerge from cloud cover over London and engage the enemy. From the Battle of Britain to the attack on Pearl Harbor, your air combat skills will create history. View this new air combat action here.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Myst® V: End of Ages
http://myst5.ubi.com/

In this triumphant grand finale to the legendary Myst saga, embark on an Effeminate journey into the heart of a shattered empire and decide the fate of a civilization. Developed by the original creators of Myst - Rand Miller and his studio at Cyan Worlds - Myst V: End of Ages continues to improve upon a series already renowned as the pinnacle of adventure gaming. Get a first glimpse here.

ESRB Rating Pending.

187: Ride or Die™
www.187game.com

Featuring Larenz Tate (Menace II Society), Noel Gugliemi (Training Day), and rising rap artist Guerilla Black, 187: Ride or Die™ plunges you into an over-the-top street-racing gang war where victory depends on ruthless driving and deadly shooting skills. 187 follows a streetwise hero, Buck, in his battle to defend the turf of his mentor Dupree. Check it out here.

ESRB Rating Pending.

America's Army®: Rise of a Soldier™
www.riseofasoldier.com

The only game developed by the U.S. Army makes its debut on consoles this year. As the most true-to-life Army experience, America's Army lets you create your own soldier and rise through the ranks as you prove yourself in frenetic single-player and multiplayer missions. Check out www.fragdolls.com during E3 for updates on the multiplayer competition hosted by our smokin' hot street team.

ESRB Rating Pending.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Lockdown™
www.rainbowsixgame.com

Whether you want to battle friends, enemies, or insanely aggressive A.I., your wait is almost over. It's official - the tense, terrorist-hunting action of Rainbow Six Lockdown is hitting consoles this September! Be sure to check out our E3 coverage of the first hands-on multiplayer playables as well as the official E3 Lockdown tournament at www.RainbowSixGame.com.

ESRB Rating: MATURE for Blood, Language, Violence.

I cant wait for the Soldier one, GR3, and R6 Lockdown.

#49 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

That's because your watching the Killzone 2 trailer. The helghast (killzone enemies) are suppost to be detailless black shadows, it's part of the atmosphere of the game.

Dude. Get your fucking ass off the chair, go get a dictionary, and read the definition of atmosphere. You're doing nothing but making yourself look like a dumbass by still posting here.

#50 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:51 PM

There are moral reasons to keep the enemies we routinely shoot, blow up, hack, slash, and otherwise maim in video games as less than individual and unique people. To say they’re just lazy is a stupid assumption. Besides, in all honesty no game in my mind should just be bought for pretty pictures.

Heroes of Might & Magic® V
www.mightandmagic.com

The world of Heroes has been consumed by a battle between chaos and order. Wave after wave of monstrous entities are assaulting the kingdom, intent on destroying all that is good. Your renowned party of heroes must defeat the forces of evil and save the realm. Witness the amazing next-generation visuals of this anticipated strategy game here.

The "Heroes of Might and Magic" series was one of and will always be one of my favorite games for PC, I never thought I’d see another. I hope it doesn’t suck like I think the new Prince of Persia game will; some times it best to leave a wonderful single game alone, let it die and stop raping it’s cold dead body. Anyways, we may be getting off topic. Theirs a time and place for discussion of necrophilia and that’s not here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users