Photo

Whiptail Scorpion Mod

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 03:19 AM

Alright, first and foremost, don't think I'm a newb just because I want to mod this gun. I know it's crappy, that's why I want to try it. Where is the challenge in modding something that already has 25+ walkthroughs available on the internet? So, I took it apart, and I think it has some potential. I had a few questions that I would appreciate feedback on, however- a) obviously, the first step would be to change the innacurate scorpion tail to a barrel- any suggestions where to put it? The back is all ridged, so don't know what to do with it. :huh: I'm going to change the tubing since it looks simple enough. Bigger is better, right? I think I'll pick up some 1/2" vinyl tubing and have a go at it. That way, it will be an easy fit into the barrel.

Alright, other than that, wish me luck! :angry:
"The 'dance goes on..."

#2 wtrent10

wtrent10

• Banned
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:39 AM

yeah, good luck. I hope you get it. I've got two of these guns and I could use a mod. and I think that it makes you less of a newbie because you're pioneering into a different type of challenge. good job, and good luck!!!!!!!!
"This movie is the cause for all mental retardation. every kid I see walking down the street slamming their hand against their chest and yelling some incoherent sound I'm gonna point at them and yell, 'NO!!!!!!!! YOU WATCHED SKY CAPTAIN!!!!'"

~James

#3 jon

jon

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:27 PM

well moding a crapy gun does not make you not a newb. you are not a newb if you an experienced nerfer that ben nerfing for some time now. but for my sugestion i would say for the tail you extend the tubing and have it to where you can shoot out of your arm like spider man but on the other side of your arm. from there spring replacement few ruber bands and you set.
Die you super-monkey fuck!

#4 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, rubber banding and spring replacement are both necessary and obvious. Oh, and like you said, I'm not a newcomer to nerf in general; I've probably been playing for about 10 years now. Mainly, I was curious about any unique suggestions for barrel placement... And I suppose I could get some velcro that goes around your wrist and then epoxy the air tube onto it... The only problem is that likely I would want that hand to squeeze the Scorpion's trigger, so having a dart shoot out of that hand might get in the way of the gun. And when I squeeze that hand, the dart's trajectory might get altered by the flexing of my wrist. It's a unique idea, but I don't think that will work well. Besides, it would feel much better to have a gun shoot it, even though I could be Spiderman with darts otherwise. :angry:

Also, extending the tubing might slow down the air flow, since it has to travel further. I'm not physicist but that seems reasonable to me. A bigger [edit-larger width] air tube would increase air flow, right? But is that what I want with a spring gun? It doesn't deliver all of its air at one time, since the plunger has to go down for it to completely deliver its air payload. Anyhow, tell me what you think. Thanks for the input guys! :huh:
"The 'dance goes on..."

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:20 PM

Sorry to go a little off topic, but way to go, Jangadance. This could start a whole new trend of NERFsmithing; trying to squeeze out max performance from otherwise "loser" guns.

By the way, just for my info, how does the Scorpion shoot darts? I know everyone calls that one (and the Coral Viper?) real crummy guns. I always had difficulty liking guns that look like bugs, snakes, or alligators (what do you pull to get the dart to fire out of a Gator?) :angry: Thanks.

(goes to get bag of SM 350's to work/ tweak on)
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:51 PM

The Whiptail Scorpion functions like a basic spring gun- pull the plunger back with a lever. Except, in this case, you pull the lever forwards. The entire gun is basically reverse of a standard spring gun. Pull the head section forwards, then the air flow pushes out the back of the gun, up the tail, and through the nozzle at the tip of the tail. I think when I finish it will look a little like a modified NB-1, as far as where everything is layed out. The tail is usually aimed a bit high, but the gun pulls the air tube forwards when pressure is applied to the trigger. The basic flaw in this gun is that the tail never truly fires with the tail in the same place, and you fire low or high, depending.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#7 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 08:09 AM

Piney--for the Gator, you pull open it's jaws, and load the dart on the peg.

Anyway, Janga, the mod I did to my Whiptail Scorpion was this: Take the tail, and remove the green things. Hot glue the tube down onto the gun, so that it points forward. It's alot more accurate now. And, if you want, you can stretch the spring.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#8 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 08:24 PM

Mrgrinch, I was looking for something a little more in depth. Anyhow, the Scorpion's plunger chamber is a decent size, I was hoping to increase the airflow to the barrel by installing a new tube in place of the green one that runs the length of the (removed) tail. I'm using 1/2" outer diameter vinyl tubing so I can push it directly into my new barrel- wherever that is going to go. The old tube was 1/4" O.D. Will this give the dart more velocity? :huh:
"The 'dance goes on..."

#9 Black Scout

Black Scout

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 09:55 AM

By the way, just for my info, how does the Scorpion shoot darts? I know everyone calls that one (and the Coral Viper?) real crummy guns. I always had difficulty liking guns that look like bugs, snakes, or alligators (what do you pull to get the dart to fire out of a Gator?)  Thanks.

Yeah I agree with Pineapple. Why don't they make a gun that looks like an elephant and have it shoot brown darts out of its ass.

haha...oh
Sometimes when I'm in my bedroom, and I'm under my covers and I'm all alone............I like to read comic books.

Nerf World Order Clan Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users