revisited after some absence.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

A series of events happened after I began to cut some pieces to begin working on my variant of the FAR, more suited to what I wanted to make (single-shot springer, countering the X-bow fanatics)...

- I got really busy at work, which is actually a good thing.

- My son lost interest in having a FAR...so this'll definitely be for me now.

- I'm working on an assignment here at the Haven.

- I got a bunch of AT2ks, and am having great fun with them.

- My Dremel tool stripped it's chuck while using it for work. :blink:

So...the parts just sat in a corner, almost forgotten.

I decided to get myself excited about it again and start some pre-assembly to get inspired (and the Dremel fixed, or it'll be a lot of hand-filing for me!)

Posted Image
Here is the initial fitting, nothing internal...just a put together to get me going again.

Since the Dremel is broken, I decided to just mark out the limits of where I can cut to ensure a good reload, and not hit my hands when firing. The bolt will cover the opening most of the time.

Though it's a single-shot, I'm keeping the bolt return spring and housing above the upper receiver, allowing me to close the bolt by simply hitting the bolt lever downward and letting it slam home (after loading a dart, of course.)

This still leaves room to add the magwell and magazine should I decide to go that way, but as of now, I'm staying with the single-shot setup.

Posted Image

Here's a test fit to make sure no moving parts get in the way.

Back to the saw! (Until I fix/ replace the Dremel). It's a little closer, but still a way's away. Hope the rest of you are working on yours, too.

-Piney-

EDIT; I see that my black marks go way beyond what are the limits of the spring being compressed...I'll definitely NOT cut that far toward the buttstock.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Lookin' good their Piney. I like how your not completely copying bolt's write up and putting some of your own ideas and style into it. I hope others do the same.

Keep us updated and good luck.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#3 Nerf Warrior

Nerf Warrior

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

Yeah I like it. Good luck
-†Nerf Warrior†-

#4 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

Whoa. That is some skank ass PVC you got there Pineapple. Where did you pull that from...your septic tank? :rolleyes: Looking good. It doesn`t lstragne at all without the magazine. Not that is should. Are you using a different kind of spring? The brach is pretty far forward and it looks like you have about a foot of bolt travel. Was that just preliminary taping? What did you actually cut it to?

Its sad that no one really seems to care much about this. 4 days and only 169 views and 2 replies...pathetic.

Good luck, take lots of pictures, and keep us informed!

Edited by boltsniper, 18 May 2005 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Hah! That's a good one, I never realized what it looked like... :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, this is all scrap pieces from my maintenance pile...part of my administration of this facility is the upkeep of an irrigation system for a 6 1/2 acre property. I have in my storage PVC in sizes from 1/2" to 4" diameters. I also have both 200psi and 600psi grades of pipe, boxes of fittings in every size, and both manual and electro-mechanical valve systems, as well as three control stations. So you can say I have quite a bit of 'stuff'. I also had to become an overnight expert at basic hydrodynamics and plumbing (pipe diameters+ lengths to pressure differentials and the effect of H2O throw on landscaped areas).

But the pipes for this project were scraps that were left over from new installations and repair jobs, and I pulled from them, therefore the dirty look. I'm out to show that it doesn't take too much in the way of money if we just use some ingenuity and creativity to get something from paper to an actual product.

Not having finished the bolt yet, and being without a Dremel for the time being, I just traced with black pen some of the limits where I can / cannot trim away. I'll be consulting your plans again for the final cuts.

Still figuring out what to use/ leave out since the bolt doesn't need a shell extractor nor ejector. I'll have to get creative there and share it when done.

I found a trigger/ pivot assembly I'll jury-rig into the lower receiver/ fire control group, and improvise on return springs, etc.

Thanks for the comments...I'll take this thing to the end if it kills me. I christen the project, "Poo Fighter". ;)

-Piney-

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>

#6 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

How's it coming Piney? It's been almost 2 weeks since your last post. Don`t mean to rush you, just curious...

#7 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

I admit, I kind of stopped working on it, though just for a little bit...

...I got a new toy, a golf cart ('95 EZ-Go Medalist, homemade pick-up bed on it). I'll admit I've been spending more time on the Buggies' Unlimited forum than on Nerf fourms.

I MUST finish the F.A.R., and upon success, make more of them. By necessity. Just the lift kit and tires for the cart will cost more than I've spent on Nerf in the last four years.

Just wanted you to know that I haven't abandoned it. Just got distracted. Fore!

-Piney-

#8 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

That's hot!

I'll have to take a look at it tommorow when I get more time, but that thing looks exactly like what I had in my head.

Great job Pinney, your the man.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users