Greetings

Introduction and some comments/questions

5 replies to this topic

#1 userjjb

userjjb

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hello all, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Josh, but you can call me userjjb, it's the name I use on most everything. I'm currently a college student at UMass Lowell in Massachusetts. Some friends of mine are nerfers and got me interested in it. I've spent the past couple days reading and learning what I can from the infinite wisdom of the many members here.

I'm excited about doing some mods. I plan on going to the store and picking up a couple of Nightfinders. I did a simple crayola barrel mod on my friend's NF but it didn't do much for range (using some micro stefans), I get about 35 ft which is crap for the NF I guess. I popped a second o-ring on the plunger, thinking it would give a better seal (which it did, it's much more airtight), but it didn't change the range any. I'm assuming that all that extra air is being wasted because the stefan leaves the barrel too early. Has anyone else had this problem?

To remedy this I plan on doing a nested brass barrel for it next. Hopefully the snug section of 7/16 will help with the wasted air. At first I worried that I'd have trouble finding brass tubing like some others, but I found the thread about DoItBest.com and there actually is a store right near me, so I plan going and picking up some brass on Monday, hopefully they will have it in stock.

It was much to my chagrin to find out that the Arrowstorm and Crossbow are in such demand. I actually have both at my mothers house in New York. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly both were in pretty poor condition. I'm eagerly awaiting my next visit to her house to see if they are salvageable.

Anyways, I suppose I have gone on long enough.
When life gives you lemons, simply say more morphine please.

#2 SwitchbladeatJM

SwitchbladeatJM

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:21 AM

Welcome to Nerf Haven userjjb. Nice first post, but I have to disagree with something. I crayola-barreled my nf, and it got somewhere around 40-50 feet. Well good luck nerfing.
A member of a 6 man clan.......the C.C.A.N.

"Shibby" -Dude Where's My Car

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

You should see a drastic increase in range by switching over to brass- I'd suggest using 17/32 and 9/16 though, as suggested for most mods on this site, unless you're using some really skinny stefans.

Welcome to NH.

~ompa

#4 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

After doing the crayola mod for my nf, i slid some 1/2 pvc over the crayola barrel (glue it for less chance of breaking it but you should use a rod to jam the dart down, dont glue it for breachloading but more chance of breakage becaue you may put the barrel on at a bad angle and break it) so it uses the other air being pushed out and it increases accuracy and stability. Hope this helps.

-tEx

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#5 userjjb

userjjb

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

Errr, your right ompa, I meant 17/32, too many numbers and no sleep does that to you. What's the best way to keep the two sections nested? Will epoxy or hot glue on the inside of the 9/16 and then sliding in the 17/32 section do the job?

Also, I was planning on using a 4" section of 9/16 (is this appropriate?), how long should the nested 17/32 section be? Finally, does this mean it will have to be a breach loader, or will the barrel be short enough so i can muzzle load?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'd hate to measure/cut/assemble and find that I should have done something differently, when I can ask those with far more expertise and knowledge than I.

Edited by userjjb, 08 May 2005 - 10:56 AM.

When life gives you lemons, simply say more morphine please.

#6 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

Also, I was planning on using a 4" section of 9/16 (is this appropriate?), how long should the nested 17/32 section be? Finally, does this mean it will have to be a breach loader, or will the barrel be short enough so i can muzzle load?

Nest 1" of 17/32 in 4 inches of 9/16, using plumbers goop/epoxy to seal it. Epoxy is strong, but brittle and not airtight unless used in a small space(such as the space between 9/16, and 17/32. Plumbers goop is more flexible, airtight, but not as strong. Use either. Hot glue could work to, for what your using it for, but its not as strong; I wouldn't trust it in most of my guns.

The gun wont be a breech loader, you would blow the dart down the brass, making sure its snug in the 17/32. So, you'll have to muzzle load. Keep the other o-ring on, it does wonders for the gun. Also, some rubber bands or a bungee would be helpful if you want it to get a few more feet of range, but NF's wont get past 65-70 feet, and some people on this site slightly angle, and exxagerate their ranges, so if your only getting 50-55, its to be expected.

THIRST
ko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users