Not in the way that you might think

4 replies to this topic

#1 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

I recently acquired an RF20 that I want to modify to fire a different kind of ammunition. I have used the search function, just in case, to make sure no one else thought of my idea already, but I highly doubt that someone wants to mod their RF20 to fire rice. That's right, I said rice! I know about removing the air restrictors and putting a couple of rubber bands around the air bladder to increase the firing pressure, but since this will be my first mod, I would like some help from all of you. You see, I am a member of the Rocky Horor Picture Show in Aberdeen, NJ and everyone knows me from there for bringing Nerf guns to use for crowd control and to shoot the cast, but I wanted to bring something interesting for one of the scenes in the movie. Any suggestions? My main concern is how to get the rice into the barrels and not have it slip into the firing mechanism, thereby jamming the gun.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#2 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

Well, first of all, you probably are not going to need the 20 barrel assembly. I'd probably start by opening the gun up and seeing where everything is. Since I don't want to make a rice firing gun myself, I'm not going to open mine up and ponder this. To solve the rice going backwards issue, you'll need some kind of mesh that allows air through, which you will place between the area of the barrel where rice goes and the firing mechanism. One thing I'm unsure of: do you want the rice to fire in single pellets or just bursts of rice like a shotgun effect?
As for the actual rice firing part, I would make some sort of hopper like paintball guns have to mount on top. You will probably want to single barrel the rf20 (sound crazy?). The rice would flow into a part of the barrel, and then the barrel will funnel to create higher pressure as the rice leaves the barrel. I don't know how far/accurate this rice needs to fly, so I could come up with a more efficient barrel design too if you like.

#3 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

I am sorry; I don't think you can have rice as ammunition. First, every grain of rice is different, so there would be a horrible seal between the rice and the barrel. You would also have a hard time putting the rice into the barrel. You would have a hard time finding tubing that would have a small enough ID (Inner Diameter) to fit rice. Finally, as you said, there would be the problem of rice falling into the firing mechanism.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#4 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

I am sorry; I don't think you can have rice as ammunition. First, every grain of rice is different, so there would be a horrible seal between the rice and the barrel. You would also have a hard time putting the rice into the barrel. You would have a hard time finding tubing that would have a small enough ID (Inner Diameter) to fit rice. Finally, as you said, there would be the problem of rice falling into the firing mechanism.

Uh, I don't think he just wants to fire 20 grains of rice...

Open up the gun and open up that red turret, then cover the entire bottom part of the inside with mesh and cut the long poles off of the air restrictors. Those air restrictors are necessary because if you don't leave them in the air will go other places than the barrel.

Don't try increasing the piston pressure, it won't be useful.

The only thing now is how to make the rice not fall out of the front, mabye putting something there that comes out when the rice hits it?
Morons With Guns own you.

#5 thermal

thermal

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

dude, i have the airtechs modded for rice, ill bring them friday. its so sweet. all you do is leave the crayola barrel longer, and put screen on it, and shove. should work for every nerf that uses the crayola barrel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users