Photo

Blowguns

My Blowgun and what other ones are like.

25 replies to this topic

#1 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image
This is my blowgun. It is almost 3 feet long, and is made of type M .5 in copper pipe. My first blowgun used the default type of .5 in copper, but it was heavy, so I switched to type M (type M is wider and lighter). It is a good weapon, having good range, accuacy, and ROF. A few other people use them in the clan. We make them by getting a long piece of pipe and attaching a mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is made of a piece of pipe (usually) that fits over the .5 in copper. Then a piece of FBR is cut in half (the long way) and wrapped around the pipe to make the mouthpiece. This is covered in duct tape and a hole is cut or melted into the mouthpiece to allow the user to load and fire the blowgun. Mine has ammo holders that can hold a maximum amount of 28 rounds. I know that other nerfers use blowguns, and that they are different than this one. I would like to know more, like what they are made of and how good the range is. And yes, I cover almost all my guns in duct tape.

Edited by ssgtsiler, 17 April 2005 - 02:23 PM.

"War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left"

#2 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

does the copper work well? what kind of ranges do you get? i have heard that copper is one the wrst barrel materials so i have never tried it...
Wah!

#3 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

Well, copper is thinner, and the dart fits tighter. This allows more air to push it out and not escape out. PVC would be too big for a blowgun, unless you had bigger lungs than me (you most likely do). It works pretty well, it can hit far targets, but I havent measured the range yet.

EDIT: O yeah, and use grammer and capitalization- I dont usually, but I dont want to get kicked ;)

Edited by ssgtsiler, 17 April 2005 - 02:40 PM.

#4 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Wow! Nice blowgun! It looks just like my friend's blowgun, but this one is for Nerf.

A while ago, Duce posted a picture of some of his stuff, along with one of those stick horse things. I responded saying he should turn the horse thing into a blowgun. Here is the thread on NHQ.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#5 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

he should turn the horse thing into a blowgun

I'm workin on that. I'll post a pick probably friday becuase I'm busy during the week.

I have this weird piece of pvc that gets a little bit wider at one end, like it has a built in coupler or something. It makes it easier to load. I use that as a blowgun and plan on attatching it to the horse somehow. You'll see.

ssgtsiler, that blowgun is pretty awesome, nice job. I would try using pvc. In pump guns its better to have a little bit looser fit and less friction. Blowguns are just the same, with a looser fit, the dart will sort of ride of a cushion of air inside the barrel, which will eliminate mos of the friction, allowing the dart to travel faster and farther. In spring guns, you want a tight fit to allow more pressure to build up behind the dart before it is released. Thats why I use crayolas on all of my spring guns and pvc or copper on my pump guns. If you read this, you will have a better understanding of it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, which is likely.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#6 Supreme Admiral FDG

Supreme Admiral FDG

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

I would just like to say how increadible deadly ssgtsiler is with his blowgun. It's silent and he has increadible accuracy with it.

In a side note, you can half see the FDG symbol in the picture (between the right most dart holders)

-Supreme Admiral: FDG
This has been a transmision from the Supreme Admiral of The First Davion Guard.

End Transmision.

#7 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

Looks like one kick ass gun. How far does it go? Great job!
Been a while.
#bro

#8 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

I would suggest finding a new matrial. Constantly blowing into it will create moisture witch will rust the inside. If it doesn't rust it will still get a kind of build up on it slowing darts down as they move through the piping.

#9 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

NinjZ, Copper does not rust. It oxidizes, but siliva wouldnt do that very quickly. Also, we have tried PVC for blowguns. It is not as good as the copper, but you would have to compare them yourself. This dosen't mean its accurate, but my friend and I were hiding behind a stone wall, and our 2IC comes up and starts shooting at us. We hid behind a tree, my friend popped out and hit him right in the forehead!!
One last thing, THE SUPREME ADMIRAL IS BACK!

Edited by ssgtsiler, 17 April 2005 - 06:29 PM.

#10 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

I remember my blowgun stage. I think a lot of people go through it, or maybe just the good nerfers. ;) The design is nice; it's much more complicated than any other blow gun that I ever made. The ammo holders are definitely a good idea.

My hope is that eventually you will consider using a regular nerf gun. Blowguns work well in woods warfare, but if you go out into the opening, you're done. I've seen it happen before. Things are all fine and dandy when you're behind a bush or a tree with protection, and you don't need a good range of motion. But believe me, the torque required to move that quickly out in the open must be horrendous. If you're up against someone with a regular primary or even a good Nite Finder, the advantage is definitely on their side, not yours.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#11 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

I remember my blowgun stage.  I think a lot of people go through it, or maybe just the good nerfers. ;)  The design is nice; it's much more complicated than any other blow gun that I ever made.  The ammo holders are definitely a good idea.

My hope is that eventually you will consider using a regular nerf gun.  Blowguns work well in woods warfare, but if you go out into the opening, you're done.  I've seen it happen before.  Things are all fine and dandy when you're behind a bush or a tree with protection, and you don't need a good range of motion.  But believe me, the torque required to move that quickly out in the open must be horrendous.  If you're up against someone with a regular primary or even a good Nite Finder, the advantage is definitely on their side, not yours.

I agree, but in our wars, blowguns usually win. Maybe you are not as good as me,(which I sort of doubt) but they are good weapons, which work in any outdoor terrain. Also, your blowgun may have been different than mine. I also use regular guns, which are fine by me.

Edited by ssgtsiler, 17 April 2005 - 07:55 PM.

#12 Whiplord

Whiplord

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

I have about 3 blowguns. I is a 3 foot blowsword type weapon with a griup and ammo holder attached. The other 2 are basically replicas of each other. 2 feet long with a roughly 6 inch foregrip , all of them are made of 1/2 PVC. The two 2' blowguns can bind together and make a two shot blowgun. They also have bayonets that can attach bto them when seperated.

I <3 blowguns

#13 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

The end attachment on the blowgun I have is for attaching silencers, bayonets, and other mods. I think you shouldn't get too attached to blowguns, because it is good to experement with different combos of weapons and stuff. I usually carry: Blowgun, RF20 or loser, and my nite finder.

#14 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but I was wondering why anyone would need a silencer on a blowgun. Now the only blowgun i have ever had was when I was fooling around with a peice of 4' PVC before I cut it down for a mod but to me it sounded silent enough.
Wah!

#15 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

NJNerfer, its for fun! I just like making things, I like nerfing. Making Things+Nerf=Cool stuff!

Edited by ssgtsiler, 18 April 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#16 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

This may sound like a dumb question but I was wondering why anyone would need a silencer on a blowgun. Now the only blowgun i have ever had was when I was fooling around with a peice of 4' PVC before I cut it down for a mod but to me it sounded silent enough.

Ehh, super ninja people? It's a perfectly reasonable question. The thing is, in most wars and situations where nerf is used, there is almost none to no ambient noise. So that little phoot may sound silent enough, but in most situations it's distinguishable. Everyone wants a super assasin gun, and blowguns are a pretty good option..

#17 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

Pretty cool ssgtsiler. I couldn't use a blowgun like that though, considering that it is about 3/4.5 of my height.(Yes, I am that small.)
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#18 CaMbLaM

CaMbLaM

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

Are blowguns really powerful? Like can they work like blast bazooka or max shot? They just seem wimpy, maybe it's there name because nerf sounded wimpy until Illadar point blanked me with his max shot. I just don't understand how a blowgun can fire 130 feet, unless you have a vo2 max of like 75+. I am wondering mainly if blowguns are worth it and do they really work?

#19 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

one really easy short blowgun is the orange plastic tubes put on snowplows so they can be seen more easily, if you see one that broke off or feel like a little vandalism/theft/destructipn of property they're quite good

#20 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

When I wrecked with a blowgun back in the day (and I most certainly wrecked), I used a 3 foot piece of 1/2 PVC. I steadied it with both hands but one of those hands also acted as my "ammo holder". I'd always have micros in a pocket and in my hand so I could reload as fast as needed. Simple and insanely effective.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#21 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

I had one blowgun that was made of around two feet of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC, and I had a "T" connector in between two roughly foot-long pieces to connect them, then there were about six inches of PVC in the bottom of the "T" for a handle. I think it slowed the darts down a bit going through the middle, so its range wasn't anything to behold, but it was a quiet, accurate, fairly quick-firing little thing. I loved it, blowguns are so versatile, and easy to make. Good job on your blowgun, by the way! I never thought of using copper.
SexD Warves

#22 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:08 PM

BAH! PVC isnt good for blowguns, in my small realm of experience. I tried it once, and it sucked, well for me at least. You guys might have more lung-power than I do.

#23 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

siler, do you use micros or megas? Stock darts or Stefans? And what size PVC did you use?
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#24 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

What is the average range for these blow guns? Whenever I've tried to blow a dart out of PVC, I only end up getting 20-30 ft.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#25 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

you have to use a sudden sharp blast of air to shoot it, blowing it out wont make it go very far

Mine is a 3' piece of 3/4" CPVC, i can get a mega stefan to about 70-75 feet & it's insanely accurate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users