anyone else thinking about this?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Hey all,
Why do they make guns stupidly? I mean in such a way that their range or power is ridiculously restricted and they have no chance of making the ranges advertised on the box?
Case in point: the First Shot. This gun doesn't actually have a barrel, instead it has a hollow peg that you fit the darts over. Nothing wrong with that really, till you look at the end of the peg. It has a great big "T"-shaped orange air restrictor, this makes the gun pretty much unusable since almost no air ends up getting through, which is a real shame given how nice the internals are.
But restriction is fair enough, we dont want kids shooting their eyes out, what's stupid is the restrictor damages the darts. Yep, tears chunks of foam out of them with its badly-designed T-ishness. This just strikes me as dumb, why on earth would you sell a product that not only vastly under-performs the printing on the damn box because you crippled it, but will actually render itself unusable over time?

If anyone has another example of stupid gun design please post it up.
Deus ex Anthropos

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

Hey, nobody buys our dart refill packs, someone tell the engineers to put a sharp edge on the front of the restrictor so it kills the darts.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:29 PM

The reason nerf and nerf-like companys purposely make there guns underperform is because they target them mainly at young children and they say in various e-mails that we are not their #1 audeince...And that is why we modify these guns. Hope that helps.
~Halfling

#4 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:27 AM

... and besides, I don't know about you guys, but modding is almost the whole reason I'm in this. I like taking something that has a lot of potential and gettin it there... or exceeding it.

#5 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:50 AM

The points you try to touch on, Grumschnitz, seem to be in conflict with each other. You question why they make guns restricted, but later explain why they do so. It is correct though that they have saftey issues with projectile toys, pretty much the only reason to lower a gun's ability. The box says some number just to attract people to buy the product - within reason they can fabricate what they like for a range and not suffer consiquences. I've seen some pretty poorly designed nerf guns in the past though, including one I gave to goodwill, the autogrip.

#6 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:01 AM

hmmm, I only meant that being safety-concious is okay up to a point. Making a gun that fires 4ft is just pointless.
What was wrong with the autogrip if I may ask?
Deus ex Anthropos

#7 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

What was wrong with the autogrip if I may ask?

It has these weird air restrictors that are just like big holes in a barrel. There is also some vinyl tubing between the plunger tube and barrel, which costs you small airflow.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#8 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:15 PM

I don't know about you guys but I love the autogrip. If you get good at it you can manage to hold another gun in the same hand and it won't really limit your performance.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users