Photo

Review Of The N-strike Three-in-one System

15 replies to this topic

#1 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:08 PM

This is my first post and first review, all in one!

Let me tell you how serious I am about Nerf wars in the office. I proposed this to the higher-ups at my company as a good way of relieving stress because certain co-workers were not getting along and somebody needed to be shot, howbeit with a foam dart or mega missle. We are adults (I'm 37, and we're a bunch of grown men in different departments from 25-45) playing with Nerf guns around the office!

It's been several weeks since we added Nerf Wars to our corporate culture, and so far nobody has died and productivity seems to have improved. We even cleared out all the Nerf Mavericks from our local Toys 'R Us. (Since I'm the Nerf Procurer, I feel like Santa Claus - or an arms dealer - going around the office and peddling these Nerf Maverick's to the employees, and then teaching them how to lock 'n' load.)

The Nerf Maverick smallarm is downright cool-looking and became our "standard" in the office for several reasons. First, anyone can afford $11.00. Second, six darts isn't bad. Third, reasonable range (I know they diluted the power of these guns so that they don't put anyone's eyes out. Of course, I'll be trying to figure out how to mod the Maverick to increase its range). And forth, the darts don't fall out of the gun by accident. Those are the pros. Cons: the gun does jam once in a while. You have to make sure the darts are tucked into their holes. The whistler darts seem to go father than the suction-cup ended ones, but they seem to puff out of their chambers more in the revolver and jam. But clearing the jam is easy. Hey, jamming happens in a firefight. Adds to the laughs.

Some people wonder what place Nerfs have in the adult life. Most want to do paintball fights. This isn't practical in the office. And if you're not properly attired, paintballs can hurt. Foam darts don't hurt; they might sting if you modified your nerf-style gun.

So, get this: I walked up to one of the Engineers and asked him if he wanted to take part in the company spirit. He said no. Then I put a Nerf Maverick in his hand and told him to fire at the white board. He fired not only one but all six darts. Something awoke in him. "Yes, put me down for one!!!" And that's all it took. I'm a Nerf-evangelist!

And so it begins: a search for an "ultimate" Nerf-style weapon without many modifications, hence my review of the Nerf N-Strike. My background in the Nerf Wars go back about 8 years when I was first exposed to them while working at The 3DO Company. I remember the Ultimators and Chainblasters and maybe a Balzooka or even the Arrowstorm. Today's nerf-style weapons are varied in quality and power. So here's my re-entrance into the Nerf community.

The N-Strike, as you can see from the advertisement is three weapons:

1. A massive rocket launcher (the Titan)

2. A small sidearm

3. A semi-automatic weapon (the Hornet)

Please pardon my not using their proper marketing names accurately. As I said, I'm 37. I don't care what they're called; I just want to shoot the guys in the office with them.

Weapons 2 and 3 integrate with the rocket launcher to form a mega weapon. The interesting thing is: how do you manage them all? Well if you're a kid, you look insanely powerful. If you're an adult, you look insanely powerful until some employees laugh at you, and then you'll look insanely dorkey.

The integration of all three weapons is not just physically combining them and locking them in place. They have secondary buttons that if you press a button on the main unit (rocket launcher) it will cause the nerf darts on the secondary weapons to fire individually! A very novel idea.

Things to consider when reviewing:

1. Does the ammo slide out of the unit?

2. Does the ammo jam the weapon?

3. Is the unit ergonomic? (Any sharp edges that might cause discomfort?)

4. Is the unit attractive looking? (No sense in looking like a dork around the office.)

ROCKET LAUNCHER: THE TITAN

First, the rocket launcher. This is the first and most closest thing to the original Ultimator. I recall that some family consumer magazines attacked the Ultimator because after firing it at a small kid, the small kid was half a block away. Not good if you're a parent and that's your only kid and you can't make another. In terms of aesthetics, the launcher is downright cool-looking and scary when you bring it to the office because that big foam missle has got to hurt. But it takes twenty freaking times of pumping before you can build the proper air pressure into it. That's a bit of a workout. And in that time, you have to duck everyone's fire. Yes, you had to pump the ol' Ultimator up a bit. I no longer have my Ultimator so I couldn't say if the foam missles of the N-Strike would work with old Ultimators out there. The missles look very close to those of the Ultimator.

The fins looked tilted and then I notice all three were tilted that way to cause the missle to rotate. It just didn't seem like it travelled fast. The launcher itself requires a silencer-styled red tube to be screwed onto the mouth of the unit. The unit has vents through which air escapes when the trigger is pulled. But then air has to go down approx. 8-9 inches through another series of vents. I wonder if the airflow would improve if I used a Dremel tool and ground them all off. I notice that at the tip of the "silencer" the vents cause air to come out in opposing directions. Those who understand airflow physics: please feel free to comment.

In short distances the missle would travel quickly. In longer distances it was okay. A bit slow bit it made it about 24 feet.

In terms of pumping, the manual says to put it on the ground, step on it and then pump away. If you're an adult, forget it, just pump it with your arms.

Overall this is an attractive and reasonably ergonomic unit but the pumping takes the fun out of it. Once you fire, you'd better have a second foam missle/rocket on your person. I cannot help but wonder if Hasbro intentionally designed the flight of the missle to be slower. But when you have this honkingly huge missle going towards your head and you're trying to duck out of the way and other office employees watch you try to save your own life against a foam missle, that's half the fun of Nerf Warring. ;-) The thing I don't like is having to pump this twenty times. The Lanard Blast Bazooka requires 4-8 pumps and though the missle is lighter (and replacement ammo seemingly more difficult to find) the missle it fires not only whistles but travels a lot faster.)

SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON: THE HORNET

Have you played Halo? This unit reminds me of the Needler - the Covenant weapon that fires energy needles. It's a medium sized weapon that looks extremely cool and is ergonomic. The Hornet requires pumping (again 18-20 times) but it makes a good grip for your second hand while your first hand is handling the trigger.

This has the potential of being an "ultimate weapon" for me but I think it falls victim to bad design.

The unit requires that it's "cocked" first. If you don't and start pumping away to build air pressure within the unit, you'll only be able to fire one dart. If you cock it, then pump 20 times, you have the potential of firing this like a select-fire / semi-automatic weapon. VERY COOL. So when some employee you're trying to get nails you with his Maverick, you take your Hornet and zap him. And before he knows it, another comes, and yet another, and yet another.

Another cool feature is a big orange button on either side that when pressed will launch all six at your enemies.

Now here's the down side. The orange foam darts that come with the unit have a tendency to slide out or even fall out of the forward tubes, so when you hit the trigger the air pressure just "fuffs" and there is no firing. When cocked and primed, if one dart fails to fire, if you pull the trigger yet again you can fortunately fire the next dart in sequence. And there is a sequence. It's good to memorize it. But if you realize your mistake and try to re-insert a dart that has slidden out a bit, it may not come out at all.

Or is there a sequence? Sometimes when I pull the trigger, nothing happens, but then when I fire again, a dart does go out -- just not when I intended to fire. This can be disconcerting in a firefight. You're not sure if your gun works or not, and you're not sure if a dart has slidden out an inch or not.

One solution is to use the refill pack ammo which use black foam. The black foam darts seem to be a very slightly bit larger and slightly more durable than the orange ones. They hug the space in their barrels a little better and have a lesser tendency of falling out.

Imagine my delight with six whistler darts in the chambers and firing perfectly in sequence. But to have it fire perfectly requires some work: cocking it and pumping it 20 times, then making sure no dart is slipping out. It's a pain to have to micromanage the weapon.

Out of the box, the orange-colored soft-plastic site was bent. No biggie, because it does very little to improve your aim anyway. A knife could cut the bent part off easily.

Overall the Hornet has the chance of being an ultimate weapon but falls short. The Maverick has little to no tendency for the foam darts to accidentally slide out of the barrel because when not being fired the chamber is not aligned with the barrel of the gun and this keep the Nerf dart from falling out.

SIDEARM

The sidearm echoes the feel of a real life sidearm with a laser site beneath the barrel. But the red and gray theme shows it's a toy. You can keep one in the barrel for firing and an extra two nerf darts in the available storage holes beneath the barrel. You cock it and then fire. The range is fair. I can get a dart about 12 feet but to hit things carefully I have to fire at an angle and hope it arcs over the cubicle walls and hit my co-worker on the forehead.

It's a reasonable sidearm. It integrates with the Titan on the side, and by pressing a button on the Titan the one round in the sidearm will fire.

Overall, it's an attractive looking sidearm. Maybe simplicity is best here. If I had a big pocket or fanny pack full of ammo, I could have a lot of fun with the sidearm.

CONCLUSION

There is a great misconception that Nerf guns are only for kids. For us professionals who work in Silicon Valley's hi-tech industry, it's a wonderful means of stress relef. For you engineers out there who don't exercise (yes you) this may be the only exercise you actually get. You should thank anyone brings Nerf Wars to the office, otherwise your butts remain numb sitting in front of the computer 9-12 hours a day.

One may gawk at the $39.99 price since the Nerf N-Strike Maverick 6-round pistol retails for $10.00 + tax. You are in fact getting three weapons, not one. How much you value them individually is a different matter. In terms of ease of use and practicality, the sidearm ironically is the best of the three.

The Titan is unfortunately too unwieldly to use in a firefight when everyone's armed with a Maverick pistol and can unload 6 darts onto your forehead while you're trying to pump it.

The Hornet requires too much micromanagement. Being able to launch six whistling darts at an enemy is very, very satisfying, but the preparation and the management to get it to fire quickly makes this toy more frustrating than joy-bringing.

This experience has been valuable. Had we not entered the consumer-end of the market through the Nerf Mavericks we would never have considered a baseline or standard to compare other nerf-style weapons against.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Edited by CSMaclaren, 04 April 2005 - 02:13 PM.

C S M a c L a r e n
Nerf Intelligence Files (NiF): http://csmaclaren.blogspot.com/

#2 Sinfil

Sinfil

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

Nice post.

When you were talking about the scout, with the laser sight beneath the barrel-were you talking about how it mimicks a real gun with a laser sight, or how it has a laser sight. Because the Scout doesn't have a laser sight...

~Sinfil
Rifleman and 1337 modder of the Celtic Wolf Clan.

Myspace

~r4z0rBl4d35~

#3 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

Sinfil, I just realized he may be talking about the nitefinder, but I don't know why...
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#4 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

CSMaclaren;

Nice to see an 'adult' :lol: getting excited about nerf. If you want to get serious about the sport take some time to read some of the back log of topics and use the search function if you have any questions.

Most of us are already aware of the features, benefits and cons of the N-strike set, but it is interesting to see it from someone coming into things fairley fresh.

I would suggest you try an airtech 2000 if you can find one. They are small but pack much more punch than the Scout sidearm after a few modifications.

Edited by J_cobbers, 04 April 2005 - 03:53 PM.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

Or a Nite Finder, of course. It's great stock, and can fire micro Stefans beautifully even without a barrel replacement, just an air restrictor removal. If you can find an "old version" NF, I'd recommend that over the newer ones. The new ones say Nite Finder EX-3 on the box and the old ones just say Nite Finder. J_cobbers is right, with an incredibly easy mod, the AT2K can be an excellent sidearm.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 04 April 2005 - 04:06 PM.

SexD Warves

#6 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

Nice post.

When you were talking about the scout, with the laser sight beneath the barrel-were you talking about how it mimicks a real gun with a laser sight, or how it has a laser sight. Because the Scout doesn't have a laser sight...

~Sinfil

"Scout" - ah, I knew I forgot what it was called.

Yes, the Scout resembles a slightly smaller version of a glock with a lasersite. That's the visual impact that it has though it's modernized and in the red and metallic gray motif. There is no "light" or "lasersite" on the Scout. This part contains two placeholders for extra darts.

This is not in reference to the NiteFinder which does not ship with the N-Strike unity system. The NiteFinder, rather, follows a blue and yellow motif like the Maverick.

Edited by CSMaclaren, 04 April 2005 - 04:26 PM.

C S M a c L a r e n

#7 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

CSMaclaren;

Nice to see an 'adult' :lol: getting excited about nerf. If you want to get serious about the sport take some time to read some of the back log of topics and use the search function if you have any questions.

Most of us are already aware of the features, benefits and cons of the N-strike set, but it is interesting to see it from someone coming into things fairley fresh.

I would suggest you try an airtech 2000 if you can find one. They are small but pack much more punch than the Scout sidearm after a few modifications.

Thanks for the welcome. I've not yet checked into the Airtech 2000 system just yet. I'm worried about darts sliding out of the barrels.

Interestingly Hasbro makes those super soaker type guns and those don't have to be pumped 20 times to build up air pressure. I'd love to see a mod of those to do select fire.

I took apart a Maverick this weekend and the mechanism by which the revolver works is pretty complex, and I don't have the skill to adapt the revolver to a super soaker.

I'll probably post some thoughts on the Maverick in a separate post.
C S M a c L a r e n

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

That is a very comprehensive and well thought out review. I'll have to admit that I caught it in parts, because I've had a few classes this afternoon. I like the different prespective it brings, because I haven't had an indoor nerf war in over 4 years.

It's nice to see another Office Nerfer once again. It's so seldom that we actually see one of you post about the escapes you guys have. I really want to cubicle Nerfing when I get into the work world. I guess I'll just have to settle for outdoor Nerfing at the moment.

Oh yeah, welcome to NerfHaven. Your first three posts have to be the best I've seen out of a new member in ages; then again, you're a professional and a lot of our new members are ~13. Oh well, you killed them anyway. :lol: I do have one suggestion though, the edit button is usually reccommended over double posting.

On a side note, I couldn't help but notice that you have an engineering department. How about hooking a fellow Nerf warrior up with an internship? :P
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

That is a very comprehensive and well thought out review. I'll have to admit that I caught it in parts, because I've had a few classes this afternoon. I like the different prespective it brings, because I haven't had an indoor nerf war in over 4 years.

It's nice to see another Office Nerfer once again. It's so seldom that we actually see one of you post about the escapes you guys have. I really want to cubicle Nerfing when I get into the work world. I guess I'll just have to settle for outdoor Nerfing at the moment.

Oh yeah, welcome to NerfHaven. Your first three posts have to be the best I've seen out of a new member in ages; then again, you're a professional and a lot of our new members are ~13. Oh well, you killed them anyway. :lol: I do have one suggestion though, the edit button is usually reccommended over double posting.

On a side note, I couldn't help but notice that you have an engineering department. How about hooking a fellow Nerf warrior up with an internship? :P

Thanks for the welcome, Shindig. I guess we Office Nerfers are fewer and far between than I'd like. The beauty of the Nerf for the office is that it doesn't hurt like a paintball gun and doesn't make that much mess. Plus, nobody can sue you for firing a nerf dart at someone. Now if you hurt someone in the eye, that might be grounds for dismissal....

We currently don't have an intern program. If we do and if you have the means of staying out in the Bay Area, California, I'd be interested in seeing your resume. There are, after all, a wide variety of engineering disciplines and we may not be the best one for you.

I used to belong to the now defunct 3DO Gaming company. Trip Hawkins, who founded EA, allowed a remarkable culture in that people brought all their childhood toys and propped them up in their cubicals. I'd go by the High Heat Baseball section and see Micronaut-related toys from way way back and go, "My goodness; these toys would fetch HUNDREDS on eBay and here they are in mint condition, all propped up, and nobody comes and steals them!"

Then came the Nerf wars. We had a few megadart shooters in the form of the Chainblazers (or whatever they were called). Those were fun. Once in a while we saw someone with an Arrowstorm and this yellow arrow missle would go hurtling towards you.

But then came... the Ultimator.

By the time we became aware of the Ultimators, it had already been discontinued. Some dumb parent wrote in and complained to the manufacturer that the Ultimator missles totally knocked their kids back and how dangerous they were.

Those of us at the office looked at each other and just said, simple, just don't buy it for your kids. We adults LOVE to have that.

The first time I fired an Ultimator was like a religious experience. The thing was freaking huge. Here was the Nerf version (I think Nerf made it) of something that was the equivalent of another something that could take out a jumbo jet. Go 100 feet or 50 feet (whatever the marketing verbage had said). Yeah, right.

I cranked the lever on the top something like 12 times. I took aim. Back there in 3DO I could aim from Customer Service (CS) down to the artists' den who were working on Meridian 59.

FOOOM!!!!!

The missle PaCHEWS through the air and goes FOOMMM!! past an IT guy and an artist ducks and it lands on the ground.

Of course, the person who loaned it to me was right about now laughing his rear off at my expression. It was a mixture of shock and awe.

The next thing I knew, the people in CS started standardizing on the Ultimator in their department's Office Nerfing because it hurt the most. Once in a while you'd hear these sounds...

Crank-crank-crank-crank-crank---!

Tip-toe... Tip-toe... Tip-toe...

* * * FOOOM!!!!! * * * *

"AUUUGHHHH!!!! DAMMUT YOU GOT ME!!!!"

Laughter erupting from all the cubicles within earshot.

I went to Toy's R Us to scout for some Ultimators. All the clerks said they sold out a long time ago, but it just so happened that instinct kicked in. I looked at a very dull area of shelves that looked like miscelaneous boxes and looked behind them...

... and found one!

Apparently some wiseguy had the same idea but didn't have the cash and so tried to hide it from public view. I picked them up as quick as thinking and armed our I.T. department.

After several months of insane fun, the missles started to wear out. The foam started getting weaker, but the nubs on the front were starting to weaken structurally from all those point blank. So a bunch of the CS people went off to Home Depot and started buying foam left and right to fashion tools to make new foam missles.

There were varying degrees of success. Some were in odd shapes. Some didn't make it far but hurt short range (cone ends). Some looked like they were the tin man from Oz but mutilated into a nerf missle.

In my time at 3DO I managed to barter for a second Ultimator. By the time I left I gave my two Ultimators to my friend to arm him in the CS wars there. He later gave them away when he moved on.

None of us Office Nerfers had the concept of taking the Office Nerf War concept to our next companies. I'm very fortunate to have been an early stage employee with the founders of the company I'm currently working at, so I've helped shape our company culture.

Now we have insane Nerf wars. Maybe I'll tell you guys about it some time....

Edited by CSMaclaren, 04 April 2005 - 05:14 PM.

C S M a c L a r e n

#10 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:11 PM

Very well done. Welcome to NerfHaven. I, although not an adult nerfer (15), participate in many a Office War. My father's office building in Miami has a wonderful bouquet of primary targets. After arming a few of my father's co-workers, we proceeded to have nerf wars hour upon hour. The fun seemed endless.

Untill big brother would come back from lunch. Many times we were quick enough to pull back our weaponry and most of the ammo, as we heard him rumbling up the stairs. Although one time, an intern at the office, a Mortgage dealing office, fired what I remember to be a Maxshot missle alittle late. As boss stomps in, his coffee, and remains of his Wendy's were disintegrated into his nicely worn shirt. He retailiated with, "Why havn't you guys let me play."

After this, countless hours of wars were held, even with my father. Lock n' Loads, SuperMaxx350's, any fun pistol could be seen handed out to friends and enemy's. The fun would only stop when a customer walked in. Sometimes even not. The fun continued almost a year I would say, before many of the former nerfers were replaecd with newer less risky ones. At one point we only had about 12 nerfers left. But then again, we used our fun influence (especially with the Ballzooka) and swayed many more workers to the dark side.

One of the best moments I had was in this office. Like a regular offices, there were possily 50 cubicles, each with their own arms toting gnome, thta would pop off a shot here and then. My father and I had a plan. A 120 shot chain was formed secretly over the months. When completed, it was feed into the angry mouth of a Razorbeast. Foam rang out, co-workers slaughtered, customers diving for covering, it was an amazing sight. Just untill we were into our last 10 shots, when we started to scream in horror that we were almost out of ammo.

Hearing this, many co-workers began to charge our cubicle, blasters in hand, ready to unload on the crazy SOB's. They were then ambushed by my father with 4 WildFires (also secretly stashed). The first two were unloading into unspecting enemies, and the other two which were unleashed when the first two ran out, finished off the survivors. At this point in time, my father put a sign at the top of his cubicle:
"Violaters will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. Anything that remains, deserves to live. Welcome to South Florida Mortgage Company."

It intimidated a many, untill finally again, nerf was torn apart, and those my father switched jobs. I can remember the countless hours I had worked, and nerfed at my father's place of work. I am glad that I enjoyed these memories. From that point forward, I was dedicated to modify and war nerf guns. This is why, I will nerf on forever.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

That was beautiful Moose. I'm not joking, it was. Oh, on you and your dad's 120-shot RB chain, nice. Nerf on.
SexD Warves

#12 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:33 PM

That was beautiful Moose. I'm not joking, it was. Oh, on you and your dad's 120-shot RB chain, nice. Nerf on.

Thanks, I really love this sport, I don;t know why. Ohh, and the chain on ebay by itself fetched 53$ + shipping. Heh.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#13 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:41 AM

I have a new photo of the Hornet. It's about 65k. How can I upload it? I don't have webspace to host this.
C S M a c L a r e n

#14 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:48 AM

ImageShack is your picture-hosting dream.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#15 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image

So here's my photo of the Hornet.

Thanks for the tip regarding ImageShack.
C S M a c L a r e n

#16 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:05 AM

Nerf needs to take a lesson from you about the gun part descriptions. :alien:

Very nice BTW.
Morons With Guns own you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users