Rolling Block/falling Block

easy, so why not?

No replies to this topic

#1 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

I've seen way to much hype over modern firearms. Lets not forget the 1000 yard matches with non-telescopic open sights*. The rifle that accomplished that has the easiest to manufacture of all actions (besides break-barrel) IMO. So why not adapt it to nerf? I have started a few wood mocks, but do plan a fully working steel moving breech block once the scrap yards open. I have also thought of several forms of propulsion and the easiest would be explosive. Not smokeless powder explosive, but more like aerosol or a fuel/air mixture. If ImageShack were working for me, I'd post a paint pic of homemade casings and chamber, but unfortunately it's not. But so far I'm swaying towards a 5/8" chamber and expired 20 ga shotshells, as I already have the equipment to cycle primers in those, and they hold mega stefans nicely :alien: . But the primer route is the easiest because of the shape and movement of this style action. For examples on which I'm building off of, the Ruger No. 1 action is close to what I'm trying to accomplish, but a rolling block (Sharps 1874, action open) instead of falling block (Ruger No. 1) will be more durable (and easier) if hand built. However, it will be lighter, and I like everything of mine to be heavy, even though it is impractical. Another falling block (Sharps). I have figured out everything for the rolling block except the safety. The falling block I still am working on getting the block to fall by dropping the outer trigger guard, and safety(s), again. Pics as soon as I get a different way to host them. Stock will be softwood (butt/pistol grip, forend), as I can punch one out in a day.

*Although in Europe they are still popular, same as the US equivalent of NRA Hi-Power matches.

<EDIT> I've found a better way to do this, but it now can use pressurized air, so it may become a combat primary, not a "well this might work" test</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 07 April 2005 - 02:49 PM.

"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users