Photo

Arrowhead Discovery With Microdarts

3 replies to this topic

#1 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:18 AM

Howdy, here's my second starting thread since joining.

Today, guess what arrived at the office? Two classic Arrowstorms! That's right! I found them on e-Bay for what I felt was a reasonable deal considering they're classics. (I'd really like to see Nerf sites put the classics into one section and all modern and readily available ones in another so that you can tell which aren't around anymore at a glance.)

The arrowstorm is loud. It may not be obvious from photos but the way they are fired is by pulling the rear grip away from the forward grip. As you do, the round in the 10 o'clock position rotates to 12 o'clock and the round fires.

Now originally these were made to fit those yellow arrows, as I understand. I don't know if the design was intentional or not but it seems Megadarts have no problem being fired from them. Some darts -- yellow and pink -- arrived with the Arrowstorms and sometimes take a little bit of encouragement coaxing into the barrels.

But imagine my surprise -- get this -- when I considered Microdarts for these puppies. I had thought I needed to modify them. And in terms of diameter the barrels are wider than the microdarts. However the microdarts' and sonicdarts maximum diameter -- thanks to the rubber suction cups or rubber ends -- fits into the barrels quite nicely. Push 'em all the way down and then pull back to fire. They go a nice distance but accuracy and range falls short. The larger Megadart can go about, oh, 40 feet while three sonic darts I fired fell short by 6, 9 and 12 feet approximately. There are exceptions though. Sometimes a sonicdart seems to go very far. It's a little unpredictable and the results aren't always the same.

However this is probably negligible in an office firefight. This is not to say that you don't have to have good range because you do need to occasionally fling a dart at the loudmouth fellow employee who's taunting you from five cubicles away. But it's better tactics to sneak up a little close because in the time the dart takes to sail across a few cubicals, your opponent can duck all too easily. In such case I sneak up close and try to bounce a shot off the ceiling (don't do this if the ceiling is made out of a material that's white and crumbly, else it'll mess up some people's hairdos, contaminate coffee, etc.)

Anyways, range is important but as a short- to medium-range weapon it's not bad. Once in a while people run into each other, scramble backwards to get at each other. The Arrowstorm is formidable because it reminds you a bit of an ol Thompson / Tommy Gun from the ol' Al Capone days. The loud clacking noise, however, is a bit annoying. I may need to treat it with some kind of thin silicone lubricant because the plastic looks a bit dry.
C S M a c L a r e n
Nerf Intelligence Files (NiF): http://csmaclaren.blogspot.com/

#2 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

(I'd really like to see Nerf sites put the classics into one section and all modern and readily available ones in another so that you can tell which aren't around anymore at a glance.)

There's a Nerf site with some excellent reviews, but it is outdated because the webmaster won't update it and would rather die than hand them over to some other site that would continue the scientific gun reviews. Anyway, enough of my rant on how Andy from Team NC is a prick.

You want to look at Nerf Center.

That's pretty much your best bet for figuring out what is a classic Nerf gun, and what isn't. You will find the reviews very comprehensive. If you have any questions regarding a gun that that is not on that list, use the forum search at Nerfhaven. If you can't find anything, ask us a question about it, I'm sure one of us knows the answer.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#3 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

My arrowstorm is probably one of my favorite guns, regardless of the notso good accuracy, it's just awesome to fire.

If you're planning on using it in office wars, I would suggest you put crayola marker barrels into all 6 barrels as this will allow micro darts to shoot 40-50 feet and also have better accuracy than the mega darts. If you're going outdoors and want real power, put 6 inch 9/16th" brass barrels in each one and you'll be hitting 70-80.
Morons With Guns own you.

#4 CSMaclaren

CSMaclaren

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

... as I just found out myself. The microdarts have diminished accuracy; they fire and the range is okay but the accuracy isn't the best... I'll stick to my Maverick for now.
C S M a c L a r e n
Nerf Intelligence Files (NiF): http://csmaclaren.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users