Favorite Band

Who and Why

66 replies to this topic

#1 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

What is your favorite band and why? Just curious to hear what repsonses I'll get. My favorite is Led Zeppelin. They took music from around their time, and pioneered it into a new age, preceding much of the the music we hear today. They didn't just stick to one style of music either, they had a good mix of acoustic and electric songs. They performed music with several backgrounds: Folk, Rock, Blues, Bluegrass, some Latin/Jamaican, and some Eastern-sounding music. Each member had an extensive knowledge of their instrument. For example, Robert Plant was a kick-ass harmonica player. Others are obvious. Once again, just wondering, so respond and express thoughtfully.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#2 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'm going to regret this...

My favorite band is Saves the Day, because it's not to hard, not too soft, they know the deferance between singing and screaming and because I wear vintage T's, tight pants, blazers and thick rimmed glasses (sometime). sue me

Edited by TheHaze, 02 April 2005 - 06:31 PM.

When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#3 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

Saves The Day is actually a decent band. They get a bad rap from the emo bands on their label/tour with. Alot of their lyrics are rather morbid and sick if you listen. Sounding like a 12 year old when you sing doesnt help their image either, but I still like them ( their first 2 CDs anyways ).

My favorite band is The Living End. They are an australion punkabilly band. They mix 50s rock, rockabilyl and punk into their music although the newe stuff is taking a more traditional rock sound. I'm into that kind of non-mainstream revival type music. I also have a thing for 3 peace bands and people who use upright basses in their bands. They are also a very very good live show to go to. They sound ALOT better live than they do on CD.

#4 Fishman602

Fishman602

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

Gotta go with N.W.A. Straight Outta Compton is by far one of the best rap albums I own.

#5 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

Blink 182 is my favourite band because they have good music, they're funny and wear cool clothing.
~Halfling

#6 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

It's a tie between Shadows Fall and Chevelle.

Shadows Fall website
Chevelle website

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#7 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

Dave Matthews Band all the way. Those guys are awesome down-to-earth musicians. Boyd Tinsley is a very good violinist. Leroi Moore will knock your socks off with his horns. Carter Beauford is a drummer to look up to. Stefan Lessard was a bassist prodigy. And then... Dave Matthews. Not the most skilled guitarist, but has the most unconventional and creative ideas.
All in all, DMB is a creative, rock/jazz/blues group. If you haven't listened to 'em, give them a try.
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#8 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

Well, I suppose you could figure it out if you all had accounts at Audioscrobbler.com and joined our Nerfhaven group... then you could just look and see what people like. I urge you all to join. My name is Ashplisken on Audioscrobbler, if any of you are interested.

Anyway, favorite band is hard to say. Maybe top 5 would be easier... top 5 in no particular order.

Metallica
In Flames
Neurobox
Anthrax
Pink Floyd

Man, it's so hard to choose... well, here's more anyway:

Dog Fashion Disco
Led Zeppelin
Pitchshifter
American Head Charge
Corrosion Of Conformity
Faith No More
Therapy?
Gwar
Nuclear Assault

I'd have to say that in my book, those are all honestly tied for first.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#9 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Well, I like many bands. But my favorite that got me into the Alt. Rock genre has to be Sum 41. They have some metal and hard rock elements in songs, and they have a lot of meaningful songs. Still Waiting, for example, is basically American Idiot but made a few years earlier. And Motivation, which is about being fed up with all the crap in life. And then there's Fat Lip, which takes that little metal element and has a little message of "we're having fun, and fuck you if you want to stop it."

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

DaViS

"Lately, I feel like I don't give a shit."
-Motivation

"Don't count on me,
To let you know when.
Don't count on me,
I'll do it again.
Don't count on meeeee,
It's the point your'e missing.
Don't count on me,
Cause I'm not listening!"
-Fat Lip

Edited by Davis, 02 April 2005 - 09:37 PM.

QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#10 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Dave Matthews Band all the way. Those guys are awesome down-to-earth musicians. Boyd Tinsley is a very good violinist. Leroi Moore will knock your socks off with his horns. Carter Beauford is a drummer to look up to. Stefan Lessard was a bassist prodigy. And then... Dave Matthews. Not the most skilled guitarist, but has the most unconventional and creative ideas.
All in all, DMB is a creative, rock/jazz/blues group. If you haven't listened to 'em, give them a try.

I'm sorry, I can see DMB being your favorite band, no one can ever argue that...

But Dave Matthews being Unconvential and Creative?
Name's Ash, Housewares

#11 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

*My top 4*
-Chemical Brothers
-Interpol
-Beastie Boys
-Super Furry Animals

I've developed a better appreciation and understanding for some of the electronica out there, and The Chemical Brothers are my favorite band. They never repeat rythms or certain patterns; each of their cd's are totally different and excellent at that. I really enjoy their music because it's not your everyday techno, it's deep and complex in most cases. Their music seems a lot more meaningful to me.

Interpol comes in close at second, both their cd's rock hard and they are amazing live.

#12 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Blink 182 is my favourite band because they have good music, they're funny and wear cool clothing.
~Halfling

*start rant*
It's people like you that makes listening to Alt Rock seem disgraceful. I suppose you also own a skateboard (but can't do shit) and also shop at Hot Topic? I hate the people who are stereotypical about their music, that they have to live their life arround it. Not to mention rap...But I will. Think about it. The majority of gang crime in the U.S. in the last few years is the pushing of the "ghetto" life-style that Rap puts on people. The only rap I can really stand is Eminem, because he takes the real musical qualities of Rap, and isn't a complete wigger.
*end rant*
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#13 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

Muse
Because every album is a story, each track leads into the other and the whole thing progresses. And also because their music flat-out rocks.

Powderfinger
Because Aussie rock has been dead for a while, and there isn't a song on their album that is filler or sounds like shit.

Hilltop Hoods
Because Aussie hip-hop makes me laugh :D

Yeah, and join the Audio Scrobbler NH group!
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#14 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

~Halfling

*start rant*
It's people like you that makes listening to Alt Rock seem disgraceful. I suppose you also own a skateboard (but can't do shit) and also shop at Hot Topic? I hate the people who are stereotypical about their music, that they have to live their life arround it. Not to mention rap...But I will. Think about it. The majority of gang crime in the U.S. in the last few years is the pushing of the "ghetto" life-style that Rap puts on people. The only rap I can really stand is Eminem, because he takes the real musical qualities of Rap, and isn't a complete wigger.
*end rant*

I hope the only thing you are ranting about is the Clothes comment. If it isn't, you are a cock. If it is, then ignore this post.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#15 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:05 PM

Oh man this is a doozie. Well I don't really listen to just one type of music, I linten to almost every type of music you can throw out, minus rap, and like... death metal. Lets throw down a list:

Ska- Less Than Jake (pre-Anthem)
Rock- Guns and Roses or Pink Floyd
Jazz- Quintet from Kind of Blue (fucking geniuses)
Classical- David Lanz... or Mozart
Techno/ Trance- Delerium or DB
Alternative- Weezer

Thats just some a slight taste.

Also, Dave Matthews Band is pretty amazing. I raelly hate how they sometimes fit into the "pop" genre becuase, well pop sucks ass. People that like songs like Crush need to go and take a long look at their life becuase it sucks. I hate how all of the DMB songs that people don't really like or hear about are the ones that are the most complex. Songs like, Halloween, Seek Up, Two Step, All Along the Watchtower and especially Dreaming Tree. People that don't know shit about music can't stand to hear a band play in anything in mixed meter (i.e. 5/8, 7/8) becuase they are stupid and can't follow it. But the live recordings of of DMB where the intro is a ten minute long jam session are fucking amazing.

Boyd Tinsley is a very good violinist. Leroi Moore will knock your socks off with his horns. Carter Beauford is a drummer to look up to

True dat, if anything thats an understatement. They way that the sax, drums and violin communicate and work together is simply astounding.

Actually, yes. Dave is an amazing song writer. Listen closely to the lyrics f Bar Tender, it's pretty awesome. I might just think that because I'm a very religious person but it still sweet.
I'm not saying that you have to like them, I'm just saying that they do have an immense amount of talent. If you still don't believe me, the go find the recording of Dreaming Tree from Before These Crowded Streets and try to figure out all what time signature each member is playing in at a specific time, and good luck to ya.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#16 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

~Halfling

*start rant*
*end rant*

Your insulting me because I like the cloths Blink 182 wears? Your a stupid fuck.
~Halfling

#17 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

-Start-

Lots of useless banter

~Snip~

More useless crap

Some appauling song lyrics

-End-

Well bud, you're just an emo kid hiding behind his computer screen. Suck it up, people's opinions differ from your own.

I could write an essay about how fake Sum41 is, and how much of a tool you are for liking them, but my time is better spent doing other things. I will say one thing about them for you though. Their entire "Chuck" CD is not only worth chucking over, but 8 songs on the CD have vocal melody parallels to songs by bands like: System of a Down, Metallica, Slayer, and many others. Not only are the vocals the same, but the guitars aren't much different. The drums are also laughable; thats not Steve playing the double bass, it's a computer.

Sum41 isn't metal at all, they're just crap. The fact that they come from around my area is just insulting. I hated Sum41 from the beginning, they were just another MTV band.

I'll stick with the Eagles, thank you very much.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#18 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:05 AM

Now Common Cam..."Chuck" is great. All the best songs from various artists all wrapped in a nice box full of bullshit. I must double that, when saying that it hurts my eyes that the GTA is represented by these dicks...God, Someone get me the rope.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#19 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:15 AM

I have no problems with Sum41 or any band for that matter. Let people listen to what they want to listen to. Some of the music I listen to isn't the most musical chalanging stuff ever but I still like it. There are times where I want good music and there are times where I want mood music (fun, mad, sad...) I feel as long as you can tell the differance then you're set. Sum41 is not "good" music because power chords and easy rymes will never be "good music" but if that's your cup of tea, power to ya.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#20 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:20 AM

My favorite band is Hall and Oats. By far the best thing that ever came out of the early 80's. You can't beat songs like Out of Touch and Maneater. I also wish I could be as sexy as John Oats. Just check out his mustache and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Dark Shrimp, 03 April 2005 - 01:21 AM.

Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#21 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:01 AM

If you browse NHQ, this is probably no surprise to you...

AC/DC

Angus Young is absolutely one of the best guitarists EVAR! He is extremely creative and does some of the best solos I've ever heard, and he is very improvisational. Look at any of their songs. They are AMAZING. Thunderstruck, it's pretty hard to pluck that fast. And who would've thought of such an amazing riff? Back in Black. Rarely does a band use pull-offs, and NEVER that fast. And I've never heard a rythm guitarist as good as Malcom Young. AC/DC ROCKS.

Another really good band is Lost Prophets. Lost Prophets uses a lot of instruments and they're sound is different from most.

[Rant]
And I'm tired of hearing about this rap crap. IT SUCKS. There is no musical talent involved in rap WHATSOEVER. I even made up a song about it, but we won't get to that because I don't want anybody stealing it :D. Some rap is just people talking. I can talk fast too, but does that mean I have any talent? No. I will never like rap, ever. Never I tell you!

So you know what I say to rap? "For those about to rock, we salute you."

[/Rant]

Edit: Grr typo (and no I am not referring to 'evar.' That was done on purpose)

Edited by MattPaintballer, 03 April 2005 - 02:02 AM.

"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#22 Bobert

Bobert

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:45 AM

The Clash and DK all the way
\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
proud owner
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\

#23 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:57 AM

I'm not saying Dave Matthews' lyrics aren't well written, I'm saying the music sounds far from unconventional.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#24 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

Sorry if I came across being a bit... agressive. Had a bad day, and I've liked them for so long. What I should have said was, Dave's(just him) guitar playing is creative and not mainstream. I should have said that was from a guitarists viewpoint. The band is a bit different too. How many modern guitar-drum-violin-saxes-bass bands are there.

Duce, you're right about the pop thing, and the mixed meter thing... and well, a lot of stuff you said was right.

Edited by CTA then and now, 03 April 2005 - 08:07 AM.

Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#25 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, I'm saying from a guitarist's point of view he really does nothing special. His guitar work isn't exactly what I'd call unique.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users