Boltsniper's Homemade

Trying to make it

78 replies to this topic

#51 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

boltsniper - on your directory of pics: are they all the pics you have or do you have more? if you do have more, i need any pics you can get me on the upper and lower recievers. thanks
Wah!

#52 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

in case some of you have had trouble with the schematic. i have tried to interpret it and i think have had some success...

Posted Image

I hope this helps you. I know it helped me alot with bolt, ramp and plunger setup...

Some Questions:

What is the mag release made out of/ how does it work?

what exactly did you do the the T-Joint?

What kind of spring is the action spring?

What kind of spring did you use in the lower reciever?

What is on the end of the barrel that is a brownish/greenish color?

how did you make/ where did you buy the sight rail? if that is what it is...

the pin in the lower reciever holding back the plunger is carbon rod, and so are the pins holding in the action spring correct? can this bee reliabley replaced by wooden dowels? i seem to think the wood would break under the main spring's pressure...

what is the pink color in the lower reciever?

one more question: in the nf you can replace the o-ring with electrical tape, could you do the same with this gun?

more questions to come as i start building this monster of a gun... thank you in advance...

Edited by NJNerfer, 10 April 2005 - 04:30 PM.

Wah!

#53 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

Anyone know how Boltsniper attachted the extractor and what he attached it to?
Current Projects:
1.Nerf XM8 Assault Rifle (WIP)
2. Nerf Gatling Gun (in planning)
3. LD-1 Rifle (in planning)
4. Striker Pistol (in planning)
5. Nerf Shotty (in planning)

#54 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

wow dude lots of questions. I didn't make the gun so i don't have all the answers but heres some

What is on the end of the barrel that is a brownish/greenish color?

Thats the fake silencer that he added

the pin in the lower reciever holding back the plunger is carbon rod, and so are the pins holding in the action spring correct? can this bee reliabley replaced by wooden dowels? i seem to think the wood would break under the main spring's pressure...

Correct, wood would break, but i don't see why you couldn't use any other type of metal rod, as long as it is fairly thick

one more question: in the nf you can replace the o-ring with electrical tape, could you do the same with this gun?

i guess you could do that, but you might loose a lot of valued pressure. i think that the best idea would be to use a teflon washer insted of rubber. teflon just as well, and it doesn't have as much friction as rubber so it might work better for the plunger

I'm working on the same idea of gun, but im adapting it to bb size so i'm running into a lot of the same problems. hope i helped you some!
Honor the brave who fought,
Honor the dead who fell,
Honor the world they saved.

#55 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

thanks about the wood thing, that was one of my main concerns.
the bolt action spring greatly resembles a maverick cocking spring... i may take it out as it is not necessary to a great extent in the maverick, and also cause the mav sucks and i am fed up with trying to fix all of the air deficiencies...

Edited by NJNerfer, 10 April 2005 - 06:13 PM.

Wah!

#56 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Wow...You guys are making his rifle. I just took the basic design and figured it out. Anywho, there's a few ways to do this pigeon4. The first requires a thread tap set and a few machine screws and a countersink or counterbore, depending on the screws used. You can kinda figure what I'm talking about from here. Otherwise, I have no idea how to attach it.

I bothered to read the whole topic of boltsniper's homemade, and boltsniper answered quite a few of your (NJnerfer) questions throughout the thread. I'll just answer two questions, No. 3: The spring he used was just a stock AR-15 boltspring. No. 6: He glued together two pices of chopped 1 1/4" PVC and shaped it with a Dremel.

I decided to do both. The larger lower receiver will house half of the batteries. Also, I may not be able to use CO2, but either way I still will use regulated air with a HV or HP air source on my back. I've also decided to lengthen the upper receiver as have to make another one and I also want to use longer (5") casings, to make the rifle seem more realistic. Luckily I haven't made the magazine or sides of the magwell yet.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#57 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

alright i am a little confused with these springs from the ar-15

the Main Plunger Spring- this is the 15.00 one right?
i dont care about the action spring because i am using a mav one like i said...
Wah!

#58 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

electrical tape

#59 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:02 PM

the Main Plunger Spring- this is the 15.00 one right?

Yeah. Well that's the stronger one, so you'll get more power.

So what's everyone's progress? Anyone gonna be done in a week? All I have to do now is finish the upper and lower receivers, rig up the electronics, make and install the pneumatics, and make the sight rail and barrel. I also will make some sort of optic for this gun, or I will make a platform drilled and tapped for a scope base. That's after I finish the rifle itself. After all, the point of a homemade is to be able to highly accessorize it, right?

#60 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

electrical tape

Ha! I knew it, Thanks Boltsniper. I should have mine, the actual working portions, done by next weekend. After that, it'll spend a few more weeks making it look good.
Current Projects:

#61 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

I played with a proto type i made today. its just the necesities fro a gun and very week, only shoots paper balls across a small room but now i knwo i have the idea atleast. one problem i ran into was that my sch 40 fittings dont fit into 1"sdr 21 pipe very well at all, they are very loose and need tape or something to fill the gap. Has anyone else discovered this? I am refering specificially to 1/2" sch40 couplings for the plunger and a few other places withing the barrell bolt assembly.

thanks

#62 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

I played with a proto type i made today. its just the necesities fro a gun and very week, only shoots paper balls across a small room but now i knwo i have the idea atleast. one problem i ran into was that my sch 40 fittings dont fit into 1"sdr 21 pipe very well at all, they are very loose and need tape or something to fill the gap. Has anyone else discovered this? I am refering specificially to 1/2" sch40 couplings for the plunger and a few other places withing the barrell bolt assembly.

thanks

Yes you need to wrap the 1/2" couplers in some E-tape to get a tight fit in 1" PVC.

OK ALL!

The writeup is done and can be viewed here.

Hopefully it should answer many questions. Don`t forget to download the plans.

#63 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:12 AM

I haven't read it yet but I want to be the first to say thank you, boltsniper, taking the time to take pictures and write this up was an awesome thing of you to do.

Cheers.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#64 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:50 AM

I didn't bother to read alot of it, as the only major similarity between your rifle and mine is the magazine and the magwell. So I just read the magazine section as I have already completed the magwell. It seems like a well though-out outline for the construction of your rifle. Only a few spelling errors/typos present. Very nice to read.

<EDIT>typos, wording</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 11 April 2005 - 08:04 PM.

#65 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

What is it with you guys and using proper grammar? His outline is awesome regardless, thank you!
joe

Edited by jdp204, 11 April 2005 - 06:12 AM.

#66 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

I didn't bother to read alot of it, as the only major similarity between your rifle and mine is the magazine and the madwell. So I just read the magazine section as I have already completed the magwell. It seems like a well though-out outline for the construction of your rifle. Only a few spelling/grammatical errors present.

Well thanks for not bothering to read all of it. I appreciate that... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I am quite aware that out of 6000 words a few are mispelled. I didn`t get a chance to proofread it before I posted it because this thread was getting out of hand with questions and felt many would benefit from the writeup. It was easier to just allow access to the writeup than answer all the same questions......again.

I look forward to seeing the pics of your gun this Thursday........

#67 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

The writeup is now posted in the homemade section.

Thanks for an awesome writeup!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#68 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

I didn't bother to read alot of it....it seems like a well though-out outline for the construction of your rifle. Only a few spelling/grammatical errors present.

Well thanks for not bothering to read all of it. I appreciate that...

....so do I. I almost want to hedge a bet...against it.

I don't say this often, but WTF?

Thanks for making that thoroughly detailed article and plans, Bolt. I myself tried several spring powered designs using everything from laminated cardboard packing tubes, to $25.00 sprinklers (in ground riser type), with little success.

I'm going to pretty much copy your design with the exception of making it a single shot, breech loaded (from the bolt), shooting mega stefans stuffed in the back. I've already gotten the plunger built, as I have most of the PVC resources on hand. Just need to get myself prepared to do the lower receiver group/ fire control group. Always been the sticking point for me.

Also stocking up on Dremel bits/ wheels (surprisingly, the TrueValue store here has a whole rotating countertop display of Dremel goodies).

Thanks again. I may take a bit longer than the others since I have other things to do...like work.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#69 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

I read that the writeup was up and i did a freaking dance. i love you man... or your gun if your sensetive about that kind of stuff...
Wah!

#70 Duke

Duke

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:36 PM

I have to say Boltsniper, that is probably the most impressive plan/write-up I have ever seen for a Nerf gun. I drew up plans for a similar gun a few years back, but it never got past the plans. The main difference between that one and yours though was that mine was an drone gun - it was fitted with a large tripod and used a simple infra-red circuit to automatically fire if anyone walked in front of it. On reflection, I probably should have started with something a little less complicated :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work.

#71 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:15 PM

I didn't bother to read alot of it, as the only major similarity between your rifle and mine is the magazine and the madwell. So I just read the magazine section as I have already completed the magwell. It seems like a well though-out outline for the construction of your rifle. Only a few spelling/grammatical errors present.

Well thanks for not bothering to read all of it. I appreciate that...

I am quite aware that out of 6000 words a few are mispelled. I didn`t get a chance to proofread it before I posted it because this thread was getting out of hand with questions and felt many would benefit from the writeup. It was easier to just allow access to the writeup than answer all the same questions......again.

I didn't mean anything by it. I was just stating the obvious. Anyway, I couldn't read all of it, nor did I want to, because I had to get to school and I wanted my version of this style rifle to be as different as possible from someone elses, as in not a copy of your work. Although I will say that your idea for the magazine shape and the magwell design I had to steal and modify for use (respect the CRs). Also, the rifle will be mostly finished by Thursday. I knew from the beginning that this would take longer than a week, which is why I believe you said pics by Thursday. The electronics will take a bit more time. I also have to find a magspring. So cosmetically (and action-wise), it will be finished. As of right now, only the lower receiver has to be finished (will take an hour, not including the glue setting time or error adjustments) and the barrel itself cut (which I can't do till Wednesday, as I don't have the steel pipe). I guess I'll have to post WIP pics a little later. And again, I'm sorry if my earlier post was offensive.

I would like to note that in order to increase weight and the look/feel of the rifle I will be plating most of it with sheet steel. The exterior of the magazine, magwell, and lower receiver are first (the flats are made of aircraft plywood, it's a little stiffer than balsa sheet). On the upper receiver and handguard I may attempt to create the hexagonal cross section as found on the stamped steel Barrett version. This will take place later, once I have the functioning of the rifle mostly completed (i.e. pneumatics). Same with a dust cover, stronger upper, and a semi-auto lower (maybe) in the future, instead of making an entirely new rifle (which would probably be easier). I will consult the person who will foot the bill for the improvements/advanced versions. A few friends I know also would want one (different aesthetics*) if the current one works well. I said maybe just because I have two wooded acres to nerf on and I want to expand the sport. That and nerfing with only three people is really boring.

*They (3 people) want: an M16 w/ carbine length barrel (to swap between A2 and SPC variants) semi, a full-auto M60E3 (I said "NO" very firmly, insisting on a bolt action sigle shot rifle), and a micro stefan barrelled anything I felt like making. I told them it would cost a bit and get back with them in a month.

<EDIT>grammer, second paragragh, footnote</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 11 April 2005 - 08:32 PM.

#72 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

it doesn't really matter, but why did you do all of your stuff in excel? like for the write-up, wouldn't it have been easier to do it in word, or even on the notepad?
Honor the dead who fell,

#73 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

oops nevermind. i thought the excel thing was the writeup on the website. my bad
Honor the dead who fell,

#74 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

You should use the edit button instead of double-posting.
Current Projects:

#75 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Pineapple-
I guess us old people think alike..... Good luck with your springer. Eventually I plan on making another upper that would be a single shot breach loader like you are making. The magazine is nice, but it can also be undesirable in some situations. Although it has never failed yet, it adds a degree of complexity that may not be desirable. The only dremel bits you really need to "stock up" on is the cut off wheels. I have run out of them many times and been pissed I didn`t buy more when I had the chance. Be sure to let us know how it goes and show us some pictures of it. If I can help in any way send me an IM.

NJNerfer-
I hope it answers most of your questions

General Primevil-
Its cool. I do think you may need to pay attention to your wording though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users