My Newest Homemade

My homemade Riffle

31 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

I just finnished my homemade rifle. It works on an airtank and it does not have a pump. It is pumped before using it. I dont know how to do pics, so my friend THIRST is editing this to put them up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Osiris, 01 April 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#2 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

If you pump it before hand, does it only get one shot or is semi-auto and allow for multiple shots? Sounds cool, can't wait for pic.

EDIT: Dude that thing is pretty sweet, very cleanly done, nice job. That tank is quite large, I'd imageine the ranges are good. My question from above stands. I like the handle, is it one of those air compressors? Where did you get it?

Edited by duce, 01 April 2005 - 02:41 PM.

"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#3 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

They are up now Duce. The gun has not been tested yet I just finnished it today tomorow I think it will be testing day. Oh and THIRST thank you for helpnig me post the pics. The handle is from a pressure washer. God why does everyone like hose handles they suck. Iv tried one before and it would not stop leaking at low pressures. These are much better they are rated 1000-5000psi. I think I will make it semi-auto with a gravty fed clip. Its not finnished yet this is jsut what I have soo far right now its just ram and shoot so ROF isn't that great.

Edited by Osiris, 01 April 2005 - 02:50 PM.

#4 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

That is awesome! It looks like some kind of sweet paintball marker painted black. Hope the semi-auto stuff works out! Good job. I like the handle thing a lot - I hate those hose things too. They are so uncomfortable and hard to squeeze! Is it easy or hard to pull the trigger on this one?

Edit: Typo, I said it instead of is.

Edited by MattPaintballer, 01 April 2005 - 03:24 PM.

"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#5 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

I think it's funny that this homemade made it onto hackaday and boltsnipers didn't.

#6 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

No offense, but that gun looks like it could kill somebody. If kill was too strong of a word, I'll settle for it drawing blood. Don't get wrong, it's a cool idea, but this is Nerf not paintball. If you get much more than 100' with that thing, I'd reconsider using it in battle just for sheer safety reasons.

Personally, I would not want to be within 150' of that thing. For that reason, I'd probably never engage in a Nerf War with that thing in somebody's hands.

Langley, those memories of diving into bushes whenever Proxy Server was leveled at me are coming back again.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#7 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

Looks really awesome it does look like it could kill someone but I think it is awesome.
Been a while.
#bro

#8 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

I like the idea of using the pressure washer handle. It makes much more sense than a hose handle. Have you range tested it yet? It does look intimidating...especially since it resembles a paintball marker so much. I especially like the crosshair yu put on there. What it that off of, or did you make it from scratch?

#9 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:33 PM

Very nice. It seems to have good balance due to the mid-mounted trigger group and most of the weight directly below the pistol grip.
It really does look like a Mega-Z paintball marker.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#10 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

I especially like the crosshair yu put on there.  What it that off of, or did you make it from scratch?

If you look closely, the crosshair appears to be a small peice of 1/2" PVC with wire in the middle.
Current Projects:
1.Nerf XM8 Assault Rifle (WIP)
2. Nerf Gatling Gun (in planning)
3. LD-1 Rifle (in planning)
4. Striker Pistol (in planning)
5. Nerf Shotty (in planning)

#11 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:12 AM

That thing is cool. I'd like if you got some more pics put up though with comparisons to something like a popcan or a pennie.
~Halfling

#12 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

With a pressure chamber that big, I wouldn't be surprised if you could use an entire shaft of Sch. 80 PVC as the barrel. At least try a longer barrel to see improvements in accuracy. B)

In the future I'd suggest keeping the pressure chamber size realistic. That's more close to a spud-gun than a Nerf gun with a chamber that large. I'd say that's at least 1.5 liters of air space at normal atmospheric pressure... far more than you'll ever need unless you plan on getting many shots out of one pressure chamber.

#13 Whiplord

Whiplord

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

...far more than you'll ever need unless you plan on getting many shots out of one pressure chamber.

He mentioned that that was what he wanted. 30-40ish shots without repressurising. Just thought I'd point that out.

If I misunderstood what you were saying, my apologies.

#14 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

Place a ball valve inbetween the air tank and the pressure washer handle with acouple inches of pvc placed between the handle and the valve. Pump the gun with the valve open. Close it fire, open close and fire again. This will allow you to fire repeatedly without depleating the air tank quickly by having the valve and pvc section acting as a secondary tank.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#15 sniperdude

sniperdude

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

My god, I think i have just wet my pants!! :lol:

~loser~
----If my toes were made of brocolli i would rule the world----

#16 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:07 PM

with the ball valve your shots will get less and less powerful as the pressure equalizes, paintball markers seem to remedy this problem but i dont know how, you should look into it or mabye someone else can help.

#17 Namm

Namm

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:17 AM

I believe the way paintball deals with the equalization problem is to use (a) regulator(s). You can buy a paintball regulator if you want, but they're fairly pricy (for a nerf gun part). I'm not an expert on the subject though, if someone knows more about this, please correct me.

#18 banditsleader93

banditsleader93

• Banned
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

Dude will you be posting a write-up any time soon because I want to make one really bad.
RETIRED
I WAS TIRED
AND I'AM TIRED AGAIN TODAY

#19 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

you dont know anything about its performance in any sense as of this momment, yet you want to make one just because of... how it looks? meh.
~SS

#20 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

Dude will you be posting a write-up any time soon because I want to make one really bad

you dont know anything about its performance in any sense as of this momment, yet you want to make one just because of... how it looks? meh.

What he said.

Also, It doesn't look that complex, if you were at all intelligent, you could figure it our on your own with few or no question needed.

Thridly, I don't see why people are asking for write ups on homemades. It seems really stupid. The whole fun of having a homemade is drawing out plans and figuring it out yourself. Sure it's cool to borrow certian concepts from other guns but to make an identical copy seems idiotic. This is why I don't really want BoltSniper to realease a write up, because then anyone that knows how to follow directions can have one if they want it. I'm interested in seeing how Bolt did some of the stuff with that rifle but I'm not going to go and make a copy of it. BE ORIGINAL PEOPLE. Nice blaster Osiris.

Sorry if that seemed harsh, bad day.

Edited by duce, 07 April 2005 - 04:02 PM.

"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#21 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:25 PM

I believe the way paintball deals with the equalization problem is to use (a) regulator(s). You can buy a paintball regulator if you want, but they're fairly pricy (for a nerf gun part). I'm not an expert on the subject though, if someone knows more about this, please correct me.

I do know more, but I too am no expert, as have completed a reg. You are right, PB regs get expensive; from $35-$75+. Anywho, they do make $10 regs, or you could go to a junkyard of some sort and pick one up off of an old air compressor. Not the cheaper 12VDC compressors, but a 110-120VAC compressor. Usually a 2-stage or 220-240VAC compressor won't have one, but people never throw those out; They're worth alot even if they have a problem. Regs off of the former can handle pressures as high as 250 psi and put it down to as low as no pressure leaving the reg (a closed valve, if you will). I'd recommend about 30-50 psi for your homemade though.
Another solution is to make a reg, but it takes a bit. If I were you, for starters, I'd read this. Then, I'd adapt the drawings to something made of PVC and anything lying around the house/shop/home improvement store. The pictures on that site do get larger, just rightclick->view image. Pretty much what happens is: high pressure (HP) air enters the reg, pushes against a piston wich is against a seal. On the other side of the seal is a wall. On the other side of the wall is a spring also pushing against the piston. At the end of the spring (non-piston side) is a SAE thread screw. By adjusting this screw, the tension of the spring is also adjusted, which adjusts how much air can be let through the piston. Less air, less pressure. Just read the article and stare at the pictures. And again, nice homemade.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#22 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:37 PM

Not really related.....but how the hell does this thread have over 5000 views????

Christ!

#23 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

and did we ever hear about ranges or performance?
~SS

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

Not really related.....but how the hell does this thread have over 5000 views????

Christ!

I'll send you some stats.

The other day I found my BAMF writeup copy 'n pasted wholesale into a forum in China. I think yours might be there too.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#25 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

I hate to disappoint some of you but I dropped the gun and the PVC elbow just snapped in half. There was way too much weight on that elbow from the big tank. This really sucks :nugget:
I noticed a big diffrence between my gun and a paintball gun. They solved the problem i had by using a hose to conenct the tank to the gun, which is smarter because the hose will not snap or anything. The thing where you insert the tank is also mounted to the trigger. I dunno I might rebuilt this gun a little diffrently with hose and try to mount the tank or something. Ill do this if i have time but I will have to go back buy all the peices to the tank. Oh an by the ways the tank is NOT too big at all TRUST me. Its actually perfect size its very comfortable to use as a stock. Its only like 10" long made of 3" PVC. I did not think I would need a regulator because the trigger releases a tiny volume of air its pretty much regulated. This gun was designed to hold 200-250psi. And no I will not make a write up for this gun because obviously its a failed project.

I have tested the gun (before it broke) with only like 60psi however. I used an electric air compressor to pressurize the tank. It shot maybe 70ft. I could not put more pressure into the tank because i tightened a comrpession piece soo much that the thread was messed up so it leaked. I found out it leaked when I stuck it in a bucket of water. I was wondering why it would not go over 60psi. I did replace the messed up piece and this time I did not tighten it soo much.

Edited by Osiris, 23 April 2005 - 08:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users