2 replies to this topic

#1 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:39 PM

Form Letter for Permission to Nerf

I decided to post this letter with some minor editing after it originially allowed the NJ crowd to gain permission for Apoc 2k3. This was done mostly because the local park was going to ban us form nerfing at our local park. This version has currently helped Weasel and his group of nerfers gain permission to use their park in California. I figure we mine as well share the wealth. Feel free to modify this in whatever way you see fit. I have some notes italicized below.

I had a more personal opening. Parts of this letter were deleted because they either contained personal or irrelevant information. I realize that some parts include rather esoteric references and language, because the park and some of its features are unique to our area. There are some good points and tactics to use in a letter scattered here. Feel free to modify this for your own purposes as you wish.
You also get to brush up on your NJ Nerf history. This was from the year Apoc almost got cancelled because the park administration wouldn’t give us a permit and was about to ban us permanently all because I did what the security guard told me to do. Long story short, we got the permit and still war at the park a few times a year.

[Insert Greetting Here]

My friends and I Nerf. We use toy guns that have been modified slightly with PVC attachments, bands, or other minor modifications. This is not paintball or airsoft, which fire potentially hazardous ammunition; our guns fire homemade foam darts. They are made of foam backer rod (a common item used for insulation purposes), that has a glue tip on the end and has a fishing weight enclosed for aerodynamic purposes. Please see the enclosed darts that I have sent you.

Since the summer of 2000 we have had occasional “wars” which are merely a bunch of us shooting each other for a few hours in an organized manner. We have rules and make sure they are enforced. We have never shot a pedestrian or a non participant. In fact, we make a point to avoid them because we are aware that we are in a county or public park and their experience should not be disturbed. We don’t go in and mark up the place; our messes (the foam darts) are cleaned up without question.

During our times at Mill Creek, we have never had security mention to us the rule that [Employee] has informed me of regarding projectiles in the County Parks. I called the Parks and Recreation Offices to reserve a spot as I was told to so by your male security guard at the park. Last year, when we had 23 people at our event, which is called Apoc, he told us that if we went over 25 people and did not have a permit he could kick us out. This year I was trying to do the right thing and secure a permit and have found an uphill battle in front of me. I really did not expect this much of a problem because we are using slightly modified toy guns that fire little foam darts. See enclosed dart again. Do they (the darts) look like they could injure someone? At most, one of us has had a mark that lasted less than a day.

I’d be more than happy to give you a demo with one of my friends. At times, we’ve had police officers come in to investigate what we were doing at the park. On one occasion one asked to fire one of our toy guns and shot me right in the chest. Realizing that I was in no way hurt by it at such close range, he said, “Cool. Behave you guys.” We did as we always do during our engagements.

[Insert Closing and Signature Here]

Best of Luck,

The Infinite Shindig
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#2 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

Here's my edited version:

March 18, 2005

Parks and Recreation Administration
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to request your permission to play with Nerf weapons in city parks.  Some friends and I enjoy using toy Nerf blasters that have been modified slightly with PVC attachments, rubber bands, or other minor modifications.
This is not paintball or airsoft, which fire potentially hazardous ammunition; our blasters fire homemade foam darts.  They are made of foam backer rod (a common item used for insulation purposes), that has a glue tip on the end and has a fishing weight enclosed for aerodynamic purposes.
    Since the summer of 2000 we have had occasional “wars” which are merely a bunch of us shooting at each other for a few hours in an organized manner.  We have rules and make sure they are enforced.  We have never shot a pedestrian or a non-participant. In fact, we make a point to avoid them because we are aware that we are in a county or public park and their experience should not be disturbed.  We don’t go in and mark up the place; our messes (the foam darts) are cleaned up without question.
    My friends and I have Nerfed in Cupertino public parks. Recently, a friend’s mom heard about an incident where a few people were arrested for playing airsoft in one of these parks. We were concerned, for we didn’t want to break any rules or be cited.
    We were in no way aware of the rule that stated there could be no projectile weapons. I’m not even sure if that applies here because we use toy blasters that can be bought from Toys ‘R Us and other toy stores.

To Close Off With a Few Points:
1.    We have yet to have any formal complaint about our Nerf activities. 
2.    The dart material we use is foam backer rod.  You can find it in any hardware store.  It is a foam material that can’t inflict any damage or injury.
3.    We stay in a limited section of the park to allow other people the chance to enjoy the park as much as we do.

Thank you for your time,
Sincerely,

(name and such)

I'm not sure what year we started nerfing (maybe '03?) and I forgot to edit that part.

#3 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:32 AM

Thanks tons Shindig, I was trying to work out better wording for parts of a letter I was drafting, but this was perfect! I should be able to get the CT war organized faster, because of your post. I'll make sure to post the outcome when I can.
Thanks again,
-JLego

Edited by Jlego, 24 March 2005 - 02:33 AM.

~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users