9 replies to this topic

#1 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:35 AM

Athleticism: It is still needed

The demands and action of a Nerf War requires and mandates some form of physical conditioning in order to gain a sizable advantage on your opponents. A war requires not only a quick mind, but a body that is ready to do what that mind commands as well. There are three main things that determine someone’s ability on the field:

Core Strength: The abs and lower back
Speed: Ability to run away, fast
Endurance: Ability to still be able to breathe after a round

I will admit that one does not need to be a conditioned super athlete to be successful Nerfer, but the three key areas can make or break a war. Core strength allows the body to bend and dodge better. Speed is crucial when you just ran out of ammo and the enemy is right in front of you. And Endurance allows you to stay on top of your game, while others are gasping for breath.

Athletic ability is not the end all factor to your performance on the battlefield. It does remain your advantage over other Nerfers, and that’s what makes it so important. Every person needs to size themselves up to advantages and disadvantages. For those that are abled in those areas, it gives them some advantage over those that don’t. Athleticism is not the end all factor, just one more advantage that you can give yourself on the battlefield and in life.

Regards,
The Infinite Shindig
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:41 AM

Core strength allows the body to bend and dodge better

You also need reflexes to dodge better. I don't get where you got the abs and lower back part.

I agree on most of this information. You can't be one of those fat kids that walks the mile and expect to be good at nerfing.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

Without those muscles reflexes are useless.

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:47 PM

You also need reflexes to dodge better. I don't get where you got the abs and lower back part.

I agree on most of this information. You can't be one of those fat kids that walks the mile and expect to be good at nerfing.

It's called over 5 years of Nerf experience, if you don't have that merely shut the fuck up. Shinny is one of the quickest and hardest to hit players in the game, now how many times have you ever nerfed?

Second, Hersh and I are both "fat kids" and are also two of the most influential nerfers and key players in any situation we've been in.

So do me a favor and stop talking out of your ass.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

I DARE YOU NOT TO RUN AWAY FROM ME BITCH!
I hate you.

#6 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

"HELP, HELP, HE'S FAST FOR A FAT GUY!"

-Evil Angel
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#7 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:46 PM

I just didn't know where he got the abs and lower back I didn't know that those directly affected dodging, I though it was mostly legs for moving around.

how many times have you ever nerfed?

It isn't much, but it is enough to know what you need to know about basic warring. I've nerfed 6 times (more if you count tiny ones with about 4 freinds).

Second, Hersh and I are both "fat kids" and are also two of the most influential nerfers and key players in any situation we've been in.

I never said fat kids stink at nerfing. I said that fat kids that don't even try working in P.E. will probably not do as good in nerfing.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#8 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

It's called over 5 years of Nerf experience, if you don't have that merely shut the fuck up. Shinny is one of the quickest and hardest to hit players in the game, now how many times have you ever nerfed?

So do me a favor and stop talking out of your ass.

Talio.

Well you do hold your own in a battle but I usually rely on you for range support while I run in with close range weapons. You are very helpful in a war and you really don't use many of the things mentioned. In some situations that stuff is wrong because a good team can be a mix of many different people. I think when me, Talio and Hersh worked as a group it went quite well. I would try to run in and dodge while Talio and Hersh moved around shooting from a distance and we did quite well even though I'm not in the greatest shape and Talio and Hersh are on the less "flexible" side.

That stuff isn't always true.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#9 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

I would venture to say that athleticism is only as needed as far as it fits to the person's particular style they've adopted. Tally's a big guy, and I'd say he doesn't necessarily need to be able to simply run fast (although he's proven he can on several occassions), because he's got other cards in his hand that are working just as good if not better for him. Tally's like a fucking sheep herder on the field we play on, he uses his size towards his intimidation; that coupled with his ranged weapons provide him ample flexibility with the people we play with.

Muscles may have something to do with the physical aspect of dodging but I am in no way, shape, or form "ripped," but I can attest that I manage to do just fine by simply working with timing and knowing how to pick my fights. I agree with what Tally said, a large part of it can come from experience, though - knowing the guns and the extent of yours and other's physical capabilities. I'm getting further and further away from my main point however, so I'll stop rambling.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#10 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

Perhaps it would be advantageous to post Evil's rebuttal to this article that can be found on NE? Evil post it up if you get the chance, or give me you permission to post your thoughts on NH to accompany mine.

Many of you make good points, and I respect them. For the most part, this is an article that reflects my views from a good amount of time ago. It's original intent was to make a good point counter point with my good friend Evil. I think it would really do this discussion justice to post his formal rebuttal. How about it Evil?
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users