Ipods

Questions, questions, questions.

39 replies to this topic

#1 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:35 AM

Okay, I've got lots of questions about iPods. I've been dying for one of these things, but I'd like to clarify a few things first:

1) What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd generation iPods? As far as I can tell, I don't see any physical changes.

2) The 4GB iPod Mini claims to hold 1,000 songs. Now, say I have 3,000 songs but they still only take up 4GB. Does the iPod mini run on capacity or does it just stop accepting new songs once it reaches 1,000?

3) If you were to make a suggestion, should I get the 3rd generation touch sensitive iPod or the 4th generation click-wheel?

4) Where's the best place to get a good price on an iPod?

5) Is the 5th generation iPod going to arrive soon? If so, should I wait until it comes out before ordering one?

6) Does the iPod shuffle allow you to choose a playlist or is it completely random?

Thanks a lot,

Grinch
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:09 AM

1. Who cares? Buy a newer one.

2. 4GB, regardless of the number of songs.

3. 4th Gen.

4. University Book/Computer Store
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:11 AM

Alright, one more question. :)

What's the difference between the regular iPod and the iPod+HP?
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#4 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:15 AM

There really isn't one. Hop on aim, I'll tell you info alot better on there.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#5 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

Okay, I've got lots of questions about iPods. I've been dying for one of these things, but I'd like to clarify a few things first:

1) What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd generation iPods? As far as I can tell, I don't see any physical changes.

2) The 4GB iPod Mini claims to hold 1,000 songs. Now, say I have 3,000 songs but they still only take up 4GB. Does the iPod mini run on capacity or does it just stop accepting new songs once it reaches 1,000?

3) If you were to make a suggestion, should I get the 3rd generation touch sensitive iPod or the 4th generation click-wheel?

5) Is the 5th generation iPod going to arrive soon? If so, should I wait until it comes out before ordering one?

6) Does the iPod shuffle allow you to choose a playlist or is it completely random?

Thanks a lot,

Grinch

1) Looks can be deceiving. Just general improvements. I don't know exactly, prob improved battery life and such

2) Who's a silly little Grinch? Of course you can go over your 1000. In fact, they dont even have to be mp3s and such. Me and a mate trades files with it all the time. [The things that can't fit on my 256MB thumb-drive]

3) Click-wheel's pwn

4) In Australia, Apple has fixed the price so no retailler or whoever can undersell them or compete with each other over it, so Apple dictates the price. I'd suggest Ebay or a friend ^^

5) Well, I've seen the latest iPod mini's and they have a lot on me. More memory. 18 FKN HOURS of battery life, as opposed to my, I think 6 or 8. There will always be a better model. It's like buying a computer, wait a month, there are more advances around

6) http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/ <-- lame-ness. People have always talked about it. The stupid programming has made it so the randomness feature can repeat a song, in theory, infinite times. People have experienced the same song up to 8 times in a row.

Proud mini owner :) :D
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#6 andrew01

andrew01

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:02 AM

I celebrated my birthday on Saturday and received an Iriver H320. I suggest that you really consider purchasing one of these opposed to an iPod. The price is about the same, and depending on where you shop you might be able to get the Iriver cheaper. The one that I got is 20Gb but they also sell 40Gb. I think my parents got mine for about USD 275.

What I like about this is:
It has a color screen

Can view pictures

Can listen and record radio

Can watch movies

You can adjust the bass and treble.

It is very easy to custimize (sp?) it.

To me, the sound quality is much better.

I am very happy with it and have already started putting movies on mine and they look great.

Here is a picture of one:
Posted Image

A really helpful website that I visit often is www.misticriver.net

It is a forum and they will be able to answer all of your questions. You can also download a lot of applications for your Iriver also.

If you need any more information just ask.
changed username from superintendent

#7 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

7) What's the difference between the regular iPod and the iPod+HP?

1. Like cx said, who cares? Get a new one, they're much better.

2. The iPod "4GB" iPod Mini only actually has 3.75 GB once it is formatted. I suggest you get the new "6GB" Mini which should have between 4.75 and 5.75 GB once formatted. That is, if you want a Mini. I got the 19.75 GB "20 GB" 4th gen. Also, if you like your music to sound good, 1,000 sounds isn't going to fit on the 4 GB model.

3. Well, it depends. They are both the same price, but the 3rd gen comes with more goodies. The 3rd gen, in the box, has everything the 4th gen has, plus a dock and a remote thing. Personally, I have no use for either of those items. Also, the 4th gen has a much better scrolling and playing system, the click wheel.

4. All prices on iPods are the same, unless you buy one used (I don't reccomend this). I suggest you get it at an Apple store or Best Buy because they give you better warranties.

5. It's like buying anything else that's popular, after a while a new version will come out and yours will become slightly outdated.

6. The iPod Shuffle does neither. You can not choose a playlist, but it isn't exactly random either. Like taita_cakes said, people have reported of times when the same song was repeated 8 times in a row. Most CD and MP3 players, unlike the iPod Shuffle, are programmed so that when they are put on the "shuffle" or "random" setting, they will not play the previous song again until a different song is played.

7. It's really just a marketting gimmick. According to iPodLounge, you shouldn't buy the iPod+HP even though it supposedly has more features. The regular iPod has just about the same features as the iPod+HP does, and some more. The iPod+HP doesn't have a warranty, can not get a warranty, and will not be serviced by Apple or HP. Just get the Apple version.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#8 stanpig

stanpig

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

1. You probaly want a new one.

2. Of course you can hold more than 1000 songs

3. Every body else likes the 4th gen. but i personally like the 3rd gen.

4. Ebay

5. If I were you I wouldnt wait.

6. I think the shuffle does let you choose a playlist im not 100% sure though but
DONT get one they suck that im 100% sure of

7. Theres no difference

#9 Terminator

Terminator

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:41 PM

Superintendent, you're a smart man. Right now I have the older IHP-120. I would highly reccomend an Iriver. I have used and ipod and and Iriver and I have found the Iriver to be a better bargin. That is if your not scarse on cash. If you are looking for a small media player consider the H10 which has 5gb, a color screen, voice recorder, FM tuner and FM recorder.

From there it is all personal preference. Based on looks and what you prefer.

-Terminator

It also comes in Black, Silver, Red and as you can see Blue.

-T-

Edited by Terminator, 20 March 2005 - 05:42 PM.

"Okay, okay he has one testicle, hes areodynamic, everyone cut of your balls you'll be quicker!" - Robin Williams Live 2002.

#10 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:24 PM

No way, sorry, it's iPod or nothin'. Last time I bought a different mp3 player and was disappointed. I don't care about the price. I definitely want a pod.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#11 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

The fuck there's a new mini with 18 hours of battery life?!

Shit I missed out, I'm with my 6-8. I love my mini though, it's just sexy-clean.

I don't need more than 3.5 gigs for my music anyway, and the size really works for me.

#12 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, i haven't heard about the newer one, when does it come out, anybody have pics of it yet?

#13 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

Hey, I just had to ask something, does the H320 have FM recording, as in it can record radio? And how long can you do it for?
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#14 andrew01

andrew01

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:53 AM

Hey, I just had to ask something, does the H320 have FM recording, as in it can record radio? And how long can you do it for?

Yes, it can record things as you here them off they radio. All you have to do is push a button and it starts recording. I am not really sure how long you can do it for, I only tried it to see if it worked.

I just brought mine to school today for the first time and everyone was amazed to see how many more features it had then the iPod. I showed a few people a movie I had on it and they were really impressed. I just borrowed Seasons 1 and 2 of Family Guy from my friend and will be putting all of the episodes on today.
changed username from superintendent

#15 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:02 AM

1) Touch Wheel. The 1G iPod has a physically rotating wheel, the 2G has the touch sensitive one you're used ot on all other iPods.

2) It will hold as many files as fit in 4GB, regardless of bitrate.

3) Click Wheel, all the way. All the controls are in one place, you get tactile response (clickiness) on the play/ffwd/rwd/menu/select buttons, and the innards are greatly improved (faster response, more room for future OS upgrades, etc)

4) Froogle.

5) Probably. If you wait about a month from when you buy Apple hardware, they'll release something twice as good for $100 less. Always.

6) It lets you either play all the songs straight through or shuffle them (go figure). It doesn't support multiple playlists.

7) It says HP on the back and comes with stickers.

No way, sorry, it's iPod or nothin'. Last time I bought a different mp3 player and was disappointed. I don't care about the price. I definitely want a pod.

I like your style.

Edited by okto, 21 March 2005 - 05:05 AM.

#16 ACLakeside

ACLakeside

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:55 PM

I too am planning on buying an ipod mini. However, I have a question. My friend recently (2-3 weeks ago) bought a new mini. The wheel is touch sensitive, but you can also push the sides of it and they are like little buttons. Is this the click wheel or the touch wheel, because I am sure that that is the kind I want.

Thanks!

#17 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

Mini's only come with click wheels like you're describing.

I just got a new IPod yesterday, 20gig, 4G, already got 1500 songs on it.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#18 Fishman602

Fishman602

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:32 PM

H320's ARE BOMB! This coming from a previous ipod owner. I've had my H320 for a little bit now and i can honestly say they are the best mp3 player i've ever owned (gone thru 4). The only thing i don't like about them is the lack of a wheel. Apple has that on the ball, i really miss that thing. However, it doesn't compare for the amount of features the iriver has. Amazing piece of work. Flash to korean firmware though, American firmware sucks. I really do suggest you change your thoughts of ipods, i used to have one and i am so glad i got rid of it. Oh, and H320's are only 285 on amazon. 20gb Ipods are a constant 300.

#19 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

Wait, are you guys saying you can actually save an play movies on the Iriver?
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#20 Fishman602

Fishman602

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:10 PM

yep. movies. pictures. anything. its even got an internet browser if you have the right connection. it's semi-based on xp, so it's almost like a mini-computer. You can record the fm radio too, and make favorites on your channels. AND it has a mic right on the side so you can record yours and others' voices. Comes with a free case, usb cord, great manual, free earbuds, ac charger and some other goodies. Its awesome...to be honest its the shit. Kicks my ipod's ass any day.

#21 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

Synchronizes with the music database on your home computer? Never crashes? Doesn't take more than three brain cells to operate? Has four years of bugfixes under its belt? Has a near-infinite number of accessories?

Didn't think so.

Edited by okto, 23 March 2005 - 11:19 PM.

#22 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

Well, you know what "mini-computer" means. If its based on XP, then it's bound to have bugs. I don't want freezing.

iPod + 1 :lol:
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#23 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:35 AM

I personally think iPods are getting really hyped up now. Sure I'd want one, but I could care less with a CD Player that cost $40 and can hold 300-400 songs per cd.

Edited by LiKnSmAkScOmIn!, 24 March 2005 - 01:38 AM.

Morons With Guns own you.

#24 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:50 AM

Well, you know what "mini-computer" means. If its based on XP, then it's bound to have bugs. I don't want freezing.

*cough*WinCE*cough*

#25 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

I personally think iPods are getting really hyped up now. Sure I'd want one, but I could care less with a CD Player that cost $40 and can hold 300-400 songs per cd.

300-400 songs per CD? That's total bullshit. A music CD-R, the only kind that can play on a portable CD-player, can hold 80 minutes, max. In order to hold 300 songs, you'd have them all .26 of a second long.

A data CD might be able to hold 300-400 songs, but you still can't play it on a CD player.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users