Don't throw away those paper towel rolls

8 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

I did a post in response to an old NHQ thread on a homemade Titan rocket, using a toilet paper roll. This is similar, except for utilizing a paper towel roll, and a bit more detail than some duct tape. I like the Titan rocket, and so does my son. So here's an experiment to make a low cost substitute.

Posted Image
Here's the lowly towel roll, ready for transformation.

Posted Image

To give this puppy some stability, and to make it look like a rocket, I turned to some craft sheet to make some crude fins.

Posted Image

The sheet is soft (in the case of the material I had), but it should at least give it some stability without the flimsiness of cardboard fins.

Posted Image

Now for weight...JUST KIDDING. That was a little too extreme, I ended up with 1/4 oz. egg sinkers, starting with one, secured in the foam nose with hot glue from the inside.

Posted Image

Now with the nose, I prepared to amputate a Max Shot bomb; after all, I don't use them much anymore, and my son just shoots darts from his Max Shot...I can't do it!

What to do!?

Posted Image

To the rescue came my handy pool noodles, of which I have many who gladly donated a slice or two. It may not be symmetrical all around, but heck, this is a prototype after all.

Posted Image

Some duct tape, followed by gaffer's tape, and the nose is in place.

Posted Image

I hot glued the fins in a triangular fin pattern, and let dry thoroughly.

Posted Image

The finished product looks like a Titan rocket on a hunger strike, but it does fit, and with a pretty good seal.

When range testing it, there still was some air leakage, and probably some porosity of the cardboard tube, but I still managed 40 feet with 12 pumps on the Titan launcher. My son is happy, but I am not.

NEXT STEPS:

i) Try to seal the cardboard. Either paint, or mylar wrapping, or even good old duct tape. Try not to add too much weight to the body if possible.

ii) Winglets amidships. Kind of making a "cruise missle" of sorts. Hopefully give some more "flying time". Kind of a novelty, too.

iii) Hunting for alternative materials for missle bodies. I found some thick heater insulation that may be of same dimensions as the stock Titan missle. I'll take the calipers to the hardware store tomorrow. Also looking at PET tubing (much like the PETG clear tubing for barrels), some really thin wall plastic tubing. What it was doing at the hardware store, I'm not sure, but if it fits the Titan barrel, it's going in my shopping basket.

Stay tuned! The experimenting continues.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:06 AM

Excellant! Crude, but it gets the job done. And hey! Its only the first one, I am sure, with the help of the NIC, we will have a identical titan missle for .99$!! :) GJ Pine
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#3 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, you've just inspired me to try some experiments.

Edited by Jin Kazama, 20 March 2005 - 08:41 AM.

Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#4 stanpig

stanpig

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:48 AM

Good idea! I`m sure you could make it better though.

#5 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

I am going to try to develop that idea too. It gave me an idea for my gun...
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#6 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

If hasbro had some balls they would've produced extra missles for sale seperately.

#7 The Large Moose

The Large Moose

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

They did, you can buy them via the order form that comes with every nerf gun.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005 @ 04:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens. Wierd.

"Ever have deja vu and amnesia at the same time? I think I have forgotten this before." -Unknown

#8 parmaster320

parmaster320

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:27 AM

I'm not sure but I thought you could only get darts and balls through those forms. However, I do know for a fact you can get extra missiles through the Online Nerf Order Form for $3 a pop.

#9 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:23 AM

However, I do know for a fact you can get extra missiles through the Online Nerf Order Form for $3 a pop.

Yeah, but 3 bucks a piece is overpriced, and they only ship to the continental U.S.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users