Rf20 Mod

no, it's a new one

24 replies to this topic

#1 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:19 PM

I have done a mod on my Rapid Fire 20 that I believe is my own idea. Since the reload time is sooo slow, I came up with a way to eliminate reloading altogether. Okay, you still have to reload, but only once every fifty or so shots. Let me explain. It's very simple. All I did was take off the turret, take off that black piece with the two holes in the top and make a new barrel assembly. I took a Crayola barrel, stuck it into some Sch 40 1/2" PVC, about 6" long, then put that piece into a "T" shaped connector and put another 6" long piece out the part of the "T" that makes up the base. The part without another part sticking out on the opposite side of it. MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PIECE OUT OF THE "T" FACING UPWARD. Then I hot glued the Crayola barrel onto the part of the RF20 where the air is released, and put gobs of duct tape around it over the glue. At this point your barrel assembly should look like a big "T". You don't need anything on the end of the "T" connector that faces away from the gun, that is the end of the gun. The part of the "T" that makes up the whole assembly that sticks out at a ninety degree angle to the rest of it sticks upward, toward the ceiling. This is the part that is filled with shotgun Stefans. This next step is not necessary, unless you want to have a HUGE ammo load. Take a bottle of water with the cap the size of the ones on the two liter soda bottles. Glue the PVC that points toward the ceiling inside the neck of this bottle and cut off the top of the bottle. This is a homemade "hopper" that holds darts. Then they fall down the neck, down the PVC and into the firing chamber. I haven't tested it with a lot of darts in the hopper at once, but jamming may be a problem. The darts could get stuck sideways in the firing chamber. Note: this mod is designed to shoot only shotgun Stefans. However, if you are in an emergency and have no shotgun darts, you can stick a regular size dart into the end of the barrel, or put a few in and use it like a "shotgun." This is a mod that will greatly increase you Rapid Fire's rate of fire. Please post your comments and questions. If anyone is interested enough, ask and I will post pictures. Sorry if this is kind of complicated, but if you are seriously thinking about trying this, tell me and I will post some pictures. Hope you like it!
SexD Warves

#2 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Have you actually completed this, or are you still in a concept phase?

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:28 PM

I just did it and it works pretty good. It actually increased its range by a few feet. I'm pretty happy with it.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 17 March 2005 - 10:28 PM.

SexD Warves

#4 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

I still don't understand the basics of the design. How does the shotgun dart fall down the vertical pipe, turn 90 degrees, and stuff itself into the crayola barrel?

Sorry, but it seems impossible to me. I know THIRST originally thought up the design, but it didn't make sense to me then either.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

That's not exactly how it works. The Stefan doesn't go into the Crayola barrel. I used the tighter 1/2" PVC. Not Sch 80, but it is the tighter kind of Sch 40. It has blue lettering on it. The dart doesn't turn ninety degrees. Obviously the part with the weight in it is going to fall first into the chamber. When the dart leaves the barrel, I can't tell if it goes out straight, or if it straightens in the air. I'm sorry, I don't know exactly how it works, but it works well. That's all I can tell you. It is hard to explain, but it is one of the coolest mods I've ever done. THIRST did this? Was that on his Air Tech 2000 or a Rapid Fire?

Edited by NerfMonkey, 17 March 2005 - 10:56 PM.

SexD Warves

#6 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:10 PM

Thirst did not do this on an RF20. It may have been his at2k. My last question is this: Since the barrel assembly is connected to the piston, does the whole setup (including hopper) throb back and forth? Thanks for your time, because this is actually pretty interesting.

~Vintage
~Al Capone

#7 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

Sounds cool. Can you post some pictures?

#8 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:01 AM

Thirst did not do this on an RF20. It may have been his at2k.

If we're talking T-clip, as I think we are, it was on his Titan.

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:44 AM

Yeah, sure. I'll have some pictures of the parts, the barrel system and the finished gun. I'll try to find the digicam today. Unfortunately, yes, the whole barrel assembly moves back and forth. I haven't had any problems with it loosening and coming off, but I put some rubber bands around one side of the neck where the darts come down and looped them over the top of the stock gun.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 18 March 2005 - 07:48 AM.

SexD Warves

#10 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

What's a shotgun stefan?
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

Small Stefans about 1/2" long with the weight off center so they go everywhere. They got the name "shotgun darts," or just "shotguns," from people putting three or more into a barrel of a gun and firing them. They spread out everywhere, which can be deadly indoors.
SexD Warves

#12 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:23 PM

The weights not of center, though...

Vintage, I didn't understand THIRST's clip thing either, and it was on the titan, some air thing...
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#13 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

DAMN. I only tried it loading the shotguns down the end of the barrel, not into the neck of PVC. When I tried that, they got all jammed up. Vintage had it right. Anybody know how I could keep the darts straight when they fall down? If this doesn't work out, I already have an idea for another mod anyway. It's still a good shotgun, though. I could take 6" lengths of PVC, fill them with shotguns, stick one on the end of the barrel, take it off and then shoot. It would at least be a good shotgun and decrease reload time.
SexD Warves

#14 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

Dude, that is sweet. Really, thats friggin awsome. Err, I did the clip mod for the rf20, which is completely diffeent than this. The Tclip is sort of similar, but only works on a titan. Im making a different kind of Tclip that can work just like a normal gun with no need for any extra air, so it could be used on a gun outside the titan. This si really cool dude, I'm impressed. Hook us up with pictures, you may have just given me an idea.

THIRST
ko

#15 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:54 PM

I'll have pics posted tomorrow afternoon. Thanks a lot. What was your clip mod, Thirst? It sounds pretty awesome. I was going to do a clip type thing for the RF20. I do, however, need a way to keep the darts from falling down the wrong way and getting stuck sideways in the barrel. If I can't get this mod off the ground, I'm going to try a ten or fifteen shot clip that will be either gravity fed or go through the side of the gun, that way the white piece that turns the turret will be able to move the clip through. I hope I can find a way for this to work, though.
SexD Warves

#16 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:57 PM

http://www.nerfhq.co...ticle.php?id=37

Thats the only URL, since it was lost in the hack. Dont inner tube it though, high risk of the tubes popping, and the plastic piece you cut out needs to be kept, an fit in every time you reload. Im interested in your mod, it sounds cool. How much more range do you get?

THIRST

Just to clear things up, I invented that clip mod, but the rf20 clip mod was actually invented first by lemmypoo using a different system of bolts/nuts and the like. certainly, you remember? It had a good 2-3 rf20 bladders hooked up to one gun and broke often, form what i remember form talking to Lemmy and very long time ago.

Edited by THIRST, 18 March 2005 - 08:00 PM.

ko

#17 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

Well, I don't know, but I'd ballpark it at about five to ten feet more. It's not much of an improvement, but it's better. I can use it as a shotgun with pretty good range, but I'd rather it be full-auto. Thanks for the mod, Thirst. I'll try the removable turret mod. That is a very nice mod.
SexD Warves

#18 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:16 PM

Heh, its actually pretty crappily shown, the pictures suck, so its a pretty horrible mod writeup, not too mention its unupdated. Sorry for that, but that sounds like a cool idea you got there...

THIRST
ko

#19 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

Sound like a nice mod but what happens when you run out of shotgun stefans? Its not like you can shoot back what is shot at you. Maybe if you make the opening to the barrel wider you could use regular stefans.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#20 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

Okay, here they are. Sorry they're a bit late, I had to get my dad to help me 'cause I have no idea how to use digicam software. The first pic is just the barrel assembly (duh), and the second is the whole thing. I did not include the Crayola in the pics, but it is just glued right onto the piston. If there are any problems with these pics, tell me.

http://photobucket.c...20modpic002.jpg
http://photobucket.c...20modpic001.jpg

Sorry, I can't do this. I screwed something up, I'll try to fix it tonight. Tell me if you can see those pics. I just went to the URL box and copied and pasted it. Thanks. Yeah, I messed it up. Please help.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 21 March 2005 - 10:25 PM.

SexD Warves

#21 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

Okay, I got the pics working. Sorry for the double post, I would have edited my previous post, but I wanted to put this on the recent topic list so those who haven't seen them can see the pictures.
SexD Warves

#22 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

Thats jsut a Tclip with a huge clip on an rf20...but thats sweet that you put it on an rf20...I'm assuming you're using really small darts, or it wouldnt fire...

THIRST
ko

#23 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, shotgun darts, remember? I really need to redo the glue job and re-tape it, though. The whole thing's falling off.
SexD Warves

#24 dpstohl

dpstohl

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

How do i get the black piece off the top of the gun?!?!

#25 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

If you're planning on doing this mod I definitely advise you not to. It's probably the biggest waste of time ever.

Mine just popped off if I remember, but on all the other ones I've seen it's glued or screwed on there so if you can't find a screwdriver small enough to get those screws out from underneath it you'll just have to cut it off or snap it in half.
SexD Warves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users