Anyone Know Apple Well?

Stupid old powerbook...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:49 PM

I was wondering if any of you out there happen to be very familiar with Apple computers and any such problems they may have.

I have an old Powerbook G3 Firewire (my GFs old computer) that has been sitting dormant for about 5 or 6 months now. I took it out to tool around with it and it will not respond no matter what I try. I've reset the powermanger, I bought a new power adaptor... the thing is dead to the world. Nothing, I mean nothing happens when I hit the power button... any ideas?
Name's Ash, Housewares

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

I know jack about Apples but as a general laptop suggestion, try removing the battery before connecting the laptop via the power adapter. Sometimes if the battery is toast the power supply won't switch over to the cord when you plug it in.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

Okay, your Apple guru is here.
You reset the power manager, good first step. Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold down Option-P-R while booting to do so. The PRAM is the Mac equivalent of a PC's CMOS; it holds things like time and date, boot disk, and various low-level hardware configs. If it gets corrupted, it can cause all kinds of (minor) problems, one of which is lack of booting.
If that doesn't work, it's quite possible that the PRAM battery is dead. I would leave it plugged in and powered off for a couple days to give it time to recharge, just to see if it can be coaxed back to life, but if not, check eBay for a PRAM battery. Should be $12-$20, and you won't need to buy another for at least another two years.
Cx's suggestion is a good one too, especially with the Intelligent Battery-equipped PowerBooks.

Been sitting dormant for 5 months...interested in selling it?

Edited by okto, 16 March 2005 - 06:07 PM.

#4 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

*reminises on the P-P-P-Powerbook*
QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users