Problem With 1/2inch Pvc

It just doesn't make sense.

19 replies to this topic

#1 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

I was going to buy some PVC but I found some lying around the house, extra. I was also glad when I saw that it said 1/2 inch. Then I looked at the hole, and my gladness went away. I grabbed a ruler and saw that it was 1/8th larger than half an inch. Why would this be?
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:38 PM

This would be because 1/2" PVC is actually standardized by OD, not ID, and that neither is generally 1/2".

1/2" SCH40 is generally, as you noted, about 5/8" ID.

1/2" SCH80 is generally about 17/32" ID and is much closer to fitting 1/2" FBR.

If you want 1/2" ID try brass.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

I am going to do a barrel replacement whenn I get my AT3Ks. Would copper be an okay barrel material for 1/2" diameter Stefans?
SexD Warves

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

Not on an at3k unless you're planning to single barrel it.

Note that single barreling an at3k is a sin.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

Thanks, cxwq. I'll try to find some brass. That was what they did on the LaMarios website. Don't worry, I wouldn't single an AT3K. ;)
SexD Warves

#6 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Cxwq. I saw some brass somewhere, I think I'll pick some up.
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#7 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

I didn't know where else to ask this, so I'm gonna ask it here. I'm thinking about modding my blast bazooka. I wish to try a nested brass barrel, this would be my first attempt at a mod like this, so i was thinking...I'm gonna put a small stub of 17/32 brass with coupler around it at the original barrel stub, then nest some 9/16 brass in 1/2" pvc. Do I want schd. 40 or schd. 80 for nested 9/16" because right now all i have is schd. 40...
Universtiy of Illinois Fighting Illini

#8 parmaster320

parmaster320

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

It depends on what lengths of PVC and brass you are using. If you are using the same length of each, then it doesn't matter what you put on the outside because it will travel the whole length inside the brass. If your PVC will be longer than the brass, than I recommend sch80 if you can find it. The 9/16 brass should just fit inside that and the stefans will travel better and more tightly inside the sch80. Hope this helps.

#9 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

One other question...will nested brass fire stock darts? If so, what kind will they shoot, only sonic darts, yellow stock, or airjet or all types? I know stefans will work but sometimes we don't use stefans for indoor wars

#10 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

One other question...will nested brass fire stock darts? If so, what kind will they shoot, only sonic darts, yellow stock, or airjet or all types? I know stefans will work but sometimes we don't use stefans for indoor wars

It will depend on the ID of the brass, and the OD of the dart. Standard Nerf foam is 1/2", so you'll be good with 15/32" brass as a nest inside of 1/2" brass.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

One other question...will nested brass fire stock darts?

Personally I wouldn't use brass with stock darts for any mods. PVC tends to work better with stock darts. The setup BW suggested would be alright for a spring pistol though if you were really intent on using stock darts. The problem is that the dart head won't fit in the brass so you're limited to about 3" of barrel.

For the blast bazooka I'd just use a 12" piece of brass, with a PVC breach if you desire. There's not much benefit to nesting in pump guns.

#12 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:23 AM

... The problem is that the dart head won't fit in the brass so you're limited to about 3" of barrel...

Yeah, I forgot about the blasted suction tip.

To bypass that, you could always pry it off and replace it with some FBR or something.

EDIT : This was my Devil's post, yay!

Edited by Black Wrath, 15 March 2005 - 12:25 AM.

Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#13 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

sorry for the beastly amount of questions...my lbb doesn't seem to have that great of an air output when i fire the gun. Nothing like an at2k/sm1500 but im told they get awesome range. Will the air pressure increase from pvc or is mine just defective?

#14 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:29 PM

sorry for the beastly amount of questions...my lbb doesn't seem to have that great of an air output when i fire the gun. Nothing like an at2k/sm1500 but im told they get awesome range. Will the air pressure increase from pvc or is mine just defective?

PVC doesn't increase pressure, rather it is used to let you fire different types of darts. The stock LBB fires really big fat and heavy missles. All you need to do is remove the end cap on the barrel so you can stick stefan's down there and you'll see that it is a pretty decent gun. Most nerf guns (and their barrels) are made out of plastic that is very similar to PVC so switching to a PVC barrel won't really change much, execpt that you could make it longer (which may or may not improve the range).

With a air pressue gun like the LBB you want a barrel material that offers less drag, so brass would be a better replacement as you can see here:http://nerfhaven.com/mods/haze_bb/

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#15 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

thanks J_cobbers, I simply sawed off the end cap thing so now it fires both rockets and darts, while my friend knew i had trouble gettin mine open so he tried to dreme...apparently it took like 20 minutes, this took about 30 seconds.

#16 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Well, since this seems to sorta be on the topic, and cx is the expert with AT3Ks, I'll just ask this here. Okay, so I'm trying to do a barrel replacement on my AT3K with CPVC, and it's taking forever. I've been sanding down the barrel stubs for the past hour, and the CPVC still won't fit. Is CPVC a suitable material, or should I get some brass? And if it is, is there any certain method to sanding down the inside of the barrel? Right now I'm just using a small piece of sanding paper and rubbing it around. Thanks for any help.
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#17 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

Try sanding the turret and the CPVC? I'm not sure what you're saying.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#18 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

What I'm asking is, is there any special sort of shape of sandpaper you use to sand down the barrel stubs quickly or anything? I mean, I could just go the way I am and finish the gun with a few more hours of work :rolleyes: , but I'd just like to know if there's a method that would speed things up (or if CPVC just isn't suitable).
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

#19 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:51 AM

What I'm asking is, is there any special sort of shape of sandpaper you use to sand down the barrel stubs quickly or anything? I mean, I could just go the way I am and finish the gun with a few more hours of work :rolleyes: , but I'd just like to know if there's a method that would speed things up (or if CPVC just isn't suitable).

Dremel = best friend for what you want to do. sanding down PVC with sand paper will take forever (trust my I've done it back before I got a dremel). Get a fat cone shaped grinding tool on the end of a dremel and your set to sand insides and outsides of cpvc and pvc.

On the subject of whether cpvc is a good barrel replacement for a at3k however from what I've seen brass or PTEG is a better choice. I can't speak to a direct comparison because I haven't done a barrel replacement on one.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#20 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

What I'm asking is, is there any special sort of shape of sandpaper you use to sand down the barrel stubs quickly or anything? I mean, I could just go the way I am and finish the gun with a few more hours of work  :D , but I'd just like to know if there's a method that would speed things up (or if CPVC just isn't suitable).

Dremel = best friend for what you want to do. sanding down PVC with sand paper will take forever (trust my I've done it back before I got a dremel). Get a fat cone shaped grinding tool on the end of a dremel and your set to sand insides and outsides of cpvc and pvc.

On the subject of whether cpvc is a good barrel replacement for a at3k however from what I've seen brass or PTEG is a better choice. I can't speak to a direct comparison because I haven't done a barrel replacement on one.

Funny you mention a dremel, because I just got fed up and stole my moms a little whle after I posted that. Now the CPVC fits just fine and the gun works like a dream... except for the fact that I, um, broke the auto-roating mechanism. But that's okay! I've still got another one to mod, and I'll just use this as a guinea pig for cosmetic mods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users