Prepped and ready for Apoc:
I started this project with the hope of creating a mostly 3D printed pump-action primary. I was mainly looking for two things: easy to manufacture and to hit the century mark and this blaster does both, though it definitely has room for improvement. This blaster is essentially a SCRT design modified for pump-action.
Facts about this blaster:
All of the internal parts and mechanisms are 3D printed. Total print time for all the parts is ~27 hours.
NerfoMania and I assembled the blaster in about 4 and a half hours, which included all the body measurements and cuts as well as two plunger rod iterations. I'm reasonably sure that with some practice the blaster could be assembled in around 3 hours.
The blaster is 25.5" long. It's comfortable to hold as is; that being said, there is a lot of waste in the SCRT design. The front bushing is almost twice as long as it needs to be, the plunger head is larger than it really needs to be, and the handle is about 1/2" too long both above and below the trigger. The front halfpipe is completely unnecessary and the back end could be shaved down slightly. If I so chose, the second iteration could probably be under 2' long.
I originally started with a [k25], but the spring's performance was slightly disappointing range-wise. I upgraded to a [k26] with no trouble fit-wise, although it caused some mostly superficial wear to the first plunger head. I modified the design and printed it at 100% fill, and if it continues to give me issues, I'll print it in a carbon fiber composite I got in. The [k26] is almost full compression and got me to the century mark before the front seal was finalized.
I may have misread the diagrams, but I believe that the original SCRT design had the front bushing entirely mechanically fastened. This would have made the blaster magnitudes easier to service, but I had a small leak in my setup; not enough to be non-functional, but enough to impact ranges and bother me. I gooped the front bushing in tonight, which should improve the seal to acceptable levels. I also removed one of the two O-rings in the front, which I felt was no longer necessary.
Overall, I am impressed with how the blaster came out, and I'm excited to put it through its paces at Apoc.