Photo

Yet Another Music Thread

31 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:28 PM

As an interesting (to me) point of note, and possibly a way of avoiding lame music threads in the future, I've created a NerfHaven group on Audioscrobbler. The group is cool because it will generate weekly statistics on what sort of music NH people are listening to.

For those who haven't heard of Audioscrobbler, it's a set of plugins for various music players (I use the Winamp Media Library enabled version) and a database that tracks what people listen to and cross-indexes it all so you can see the results. I find it interesting because I wanted to know what *I* listen to.

If you're concerned about privacy, all data available in bulk from their site is stripped of personally identifying information, the tracking mechanism doesn't know if you're playing a CD or mp3, and their web server logs are rotated frequently.

PS: I don't care what bands you like but I'm curious to know what bands NH likes.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Streetz

Streetz

• Banned
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

They need a plugin for MusicMatch

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:56 PM

MusicMatch doesn't allow 3rd party plugins.

And it sucks balls.

#4 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:03 PM

I just signed up, and Kev, KMFDM rocks.

Edited by Gamefreak, 08 March 2005 - 07:04 PM.

#5 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:17 PM

I joined. I've never heard of this Audioscrabbler thing, but it sounds high fantastical.
"I FUCKING BEG OF YOU! MY FUCKING BROTHER WOULD GET OFF!"

--Mraow

#6 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

Good find, never heard of it, but IT IS obviously better than musicmatch and about 10x quicker. Again, thank you cxwq.

#7 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

I had to join just to see what other people were listening too and this sight sounds pretty cool.
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#8 Streetz

Streetz

• Banned
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Well I downloaded the plugin for Windows Media Player.

#9 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:15 PM

When are you going to create a forum for the group, when more members join?
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

If everybody really wants an AS forum I'll create one when we get to 10 group members. I'm not particularly interested myself. Come on people, install the damn plugin.

#11 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:58 PM

Tight, I'm in. Come on people, join. Unles your music taste sucks.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#12 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

Tight, I'm in. Come on people, join. Unles your music taste sucks.

I joined; bastards won't take my user name and most of the shortened forms were taken.

Guess its time to wipe the dust off the Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC albums isn't it? -_-

In all seriousness, this should be pretty interesting. I've wondered what other people in this community listen to at times.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#13 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

I'm trying to go to the link, but it doesn't seem to want to load up.

edit: Ok, I got it, it's just kinda slow.

Ok, more people need to sign up for this... with all you jerkfaces who make all the comments in the music threads (oh, I listen to this that and the other thing blah blah blah) for 10 damn pages why don't you sign up for this and show everyone. I think it would be interesting.

Jerks.

Edited by Ash, 10 March 2005 - 03:36 PM.

Name's Ash, Housewares

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:08 PM

edit: Ok, I got it, it's just kinda slow.

No doubt. Audioscrobbler needs to partner with someone who has a less-ghetto web hosting setup. If it's any consolation, it's not usually as bad as it is right now.

Come on people. We don't get any group specifics until we get 3 more signups and it's not representative until all the music fans are uploading their playlists. I've got about 2000 songs on my profile and I just signed up in late January.

Edit: I am on the musical equivalent of a hunger strike until we have 10 NH members in the group. I will listen to nothing but Bob Marley & the Wailers - Kaya until my demands are met.

#15 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

I just registered as VoltX. I have basically no music on this comp, though, so I'll have to install it on my other one.
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#16 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

I'm Super_Trooper, and I'm in the group. 10th member, CX. You can stop listening to that song now. <_<
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#17 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

Erm... does anyone know how to uninstall the plugin or atleast log out? I installed it on two computers, and I think that's screwing it up. It says I've only played 14 tracks, but I've played probably like 20x that much so far. Any help is appreciated.
P.S.: 10 members. Woot.
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

#18 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

Your installs aren't screwed up, their site is. They have about a million songs in their processing queue right now. They've doubled the number of active users during the last few months and their servers are getting hammered. Give them time, one of the admins said a nice dual proc server with 8GB RAM is due in less than a week to run the main database sweeps.

It's supposed to update your top artists and tracks every 10 or 20 songs when you're a new member but right now it's pretty sporradic.

#19 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

Ah... I see. I just thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was using two different computers. It does seem very possible to be a server problem though, so I'll just go with that. And dual 8GB RAM processors... that's hot.

#20 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

I wasn't going to join because music wasn't one of my favorite things to think about after getting my iPod stolen, but I got it back so I'm in.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#21 stevo123

stevo123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:48 PM

I joined. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to crap on my music considering what is towards the top of the list.
Stevo123 of DCNerf. Web site coming soon.

#22 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:54 AM

I joined. 14th member. Username is obvious.

I'm 95% through download, so it'll take a while to get this all setup, and I'm probably gonna go play a game, so no music for a while.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#23 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:30 PM

Ya know, I joined and I have been checking the site every now and again to see how it tracks it all... last night I think I played like 80 songs or so and strangely enough none of them are up today... in fact, it says I've only listened to 6 tracks... odd... odd indeed. All the stuff my girlfriend has been playing all day are in the recent tracks and the stuff from last night were in recent tracks last night, but it generated a list today that says i've only played 6 tracks as I said and my top bands and tracks are quite skewed. Odd. Maybe it just takes a day or two for the list of music to be added? I dunno. Anyway, I registered as Ashplisken in case you couldn't figure that one out. Not that anyone cares. Ok, I'm done typing now.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#24 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:39 PM

It takes a while (long time) for it to register on the bottom list. But it always does eventually.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#25 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

Their servers are being seriously hammered by a recent surge in users. The stats server is quite behind, but the songs are still being logged. When you do eventually update it should catch up to all the songs you've been playing. My profile has only updated once, with the results you can see from 3/5 (or 3/6 depending on your local time settings) but I've played more than a thousand songs since my top artists and tracks have updated.

Don't sweat it, they're installing more servers this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users