New Here

and my life story

4 replies to this topic

#1 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:19 AM

Alright, to get started, I am a college student new to this whole field. Not that I've never modded anything before, I've been messing with stuff since I was a little kid... off story.

I am a sophomore in computer engineering, and just last semester re-discovered Nerf [some friends and I were walking through a wal-mart and we noticed the "Unity" system.] Anyway, after firing it and thinking "wow, this is weaker than I remember", I decided to look online to see if any teenagers with too much time on their hands had ever modded a nerf gun. I was surprized with what I found. I came back here after buying the maverick (because I'm a huge revolver fan). Unfortunately I've only found one good mav mod, but we'll see what I can pull off.

Also, I've noticed that nobody has tried rifling barrels, any reason for that? Oh well. With a university's tools at my fingertips, my own enginuity and the knowhow already demonstrated on this site, I should be able to pull off some cool stuff.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:33 AM

Rifling barrels isn't helpful because the projectiles are already front weighted. Given a weight appropriate to the gun's muzzle velocity, they fly true without any spin.

Welcome to the site, have fun with your new hobby!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

Like CX said. There is no need to spin stabilize a dart. They are already "weathervane" stabilized through a weighted tip. Rifling would just suck more energy out of the propulsion system and lead to shorter ranges.

I pretty much stumbled onto the NIC in the same way. I was a Senior in college though and my friends and I started using my 7 or 8 nerf guns to pelt eachotehr after getting trashed on Fridayu and Saturday nights. It was fun and it built from there. My friends started by guns and I was buying more and modding them. I didn`t really get online with it until I started building my first homemade.

Not too sure why you posted in 'Off Topic' though...... Seems like GN to me

Welcome

Edited by boltsniper, 04 March 2005 - 12:22 PM.

#4 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:41 PM

I've found spiral porting to be at least marginally effective. On ballistas making the ballista spin adds a great deal to the accuracy.

#5 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

Good idea, I'll get my ballista from my garage and use it in a war...Ultimate "Protect the Fort"!

It doesnt do anything, at all, and sprila porting dosnt make the art spin, because its foam, not solid.

THIRST
ko

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users