Titan Envy?

this is gonna get me shot...

27 replies to this topic

#1 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:14 PM

And lo! in the forgotten days of yore the elite players had that legendary weapon, the crossbow. And for a time it was good. Then the titan came along and people got the irits.
Okay, this is what's eating me: For ages the best (and most hard to find) gun has been the crossbow, everyone has accepted this, it is fact. The crossbow had a significantly larger range than its nearest competitors, thus making long range battle with an x-bow wielder an exercise in futility.
Then they made the titan.
The gun that, when modded, can fire stefans almost TWICE the distance the most heavily modded x-bow can. And instead of the cries of joy I had expected, for finally a stupidly long-range gun is available to those not willing to pay extorbatent prices on ebay, I see a bunch of whining. A whole bunch of crap along the lines of "wow that rocks, but I'm not letting it in my war because it's too powerful."
Bollocks.
This is finally a gun that can give the x-bow a run for its money in terms of sheer distance and instead of running out and buying one to teach that snotty bastard down the road a lesson in pain, everyone is just whining about it.

Thoughts? opinions? Noodles?
Deus ex Anthropos

#2 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:46 PM

Long range battles aren't any fun. That's why I shun weapons like the Titan. A more personal and close-range battle for dominance is more amusing than throwing darts over one hundred feet. I don't feel it proves much; and to be honest I'd respect a player more who rushed me than the guy who tried to pick me off.

The Titan ruins the point of a friendly and ferocious gun battle. That's how I feel about them anyway.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#3 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

The really bid difference is reload time. I could get off like 4 shots with a crossbow before I could get a titan up to power. The feel is very different also.

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

What kind of X bow are you using? I've never seen one break 100? The Crossbow isn't good because it gets good range, it's good because it's the only simple spring rifle made to date with a stock and feels like an actual gun. If you think the crossbow is getting great range, you need to think again.

Besides, the sm5k was banned by everyone as well. Why? Because you're going to fucking kill someone.

Before you post EVER again about this topic read my blog:

http://nerfblogger.blogspot.com/

Read the second article down. All of it. You will understand.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

Oh no its the one and only Nerf blog...

Sorry I couldn't find a *yawning* smiley...

Grum,
Post whatever you want whenever you want (within reason). Talio's Nerf blog doesn't have much say over you EVER posting. His blog isn't the be all end all.

Anyway, the Crossbow has solid range and its accuracy is one of its greatest assets. Reload time, as mentioned before, is also the reason so many of us find it so reliable. It's great because its balanced and feels just right if you know what you're doing with it.

The Titan on the other hand, is just an overwhelming and obscene piece of Nerf that can ruin an altogether great time.

#6 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

Between the Titan and the Crossbow—if that's truly the issue—I think they equalize.
Scenario time.
Guy with a primed Titan and guy with a cocked Crossbow start at opposite ends of a football field. They rush each other. At his 35 yard line, Titan fires at Crossbow.
Say he misses 50% of the time at that range, which he likely will. Crossbow now has about 30 seconds and all kinds of space before Titan can get off another shot, during which Crossbow gets within about 20 yards (to stay out of sidearm range) and nails Titan.
So.
The Titan is a weapon that lets you shoot one person a zillion feet away twice a minute, but hit them about 50% of the time at that range.
The Crossbow is a weapon that lets you hit shoot person about fifty feet away, six times a minute if you're good, and nail them 100% of the time unless you make bad darts or can't shoot.

They both have uses, but I will side with the Crossbow and say it's more versatile.
And I will absolutely ban Titans from any and all indoor wars, unless it's shooting the giant ballista ammo.

#7 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

Good points all, short range battles are more fun. For some reason I doubted anyone could have a reason for hating tians as simple as the game being more fun without them. That'll teach me to have more faith in humanity.

Talio, I don't have a crossbow. I've been basing that range estimate off various mod articles under the assumption that people actualy measured their ranges (like I do).
I have no particular stnce towards either titans or x-bows since I own neither, I was merely curious at the apparent double standards expressed here and on NHQ.
Deus ex Anthropos

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

I sincerely think it's simply because of the sheer power- I don't think I'd shoot anyone with my Titan unless they purposely shot me in the balls at least twice. I mean, the thing would do some serious damage if it hits in the right spot.

~ompa

#9 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

Read the blog, I address the topic, that's where I give a very good reason not to use the Titan. And Evil, shut the fuck up.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#10 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

;)

#11 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

First off, following up what Tally mentioned, the reason why Crossbows are so appealing still is because they're simple, they're spring powered, and they're durable. They aren't revered for their long ranges so much as they are for those obvious reasons. Most modified Crossbows don't even reach over 100 ft. without bungees, reinforcements, and / or spring replacements.

...I see a bunch of whining. A whole bunch of crap along the lines of "wow that rocks, but I'm not letting it in my war because it's too powerful."
Bollocks.

I say Bollocks to that. Why on Earth would you want a gun that shoots insane distances (whilst of course taking in the factor of time involved in priming a single shot), obviously has the greatest power as far as air output goes, and is rediculously large? I think the reason why most people don't use them in wars is because they're impractical in most situations. Honestly, where's the challenge in that? It all goes back to the whole Red vs. Blue argument - "If you have a ship big enough to carry a tank, why don't you just put guns on the ship and use it instead?" For obvious reasons of sheer, raw power, like you and several others stated, I know is why most people don't allow them in wars.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#12 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

That and I don't want to pay the medical bills if one those fuckers hits me in the eye from 10 feet away....and you bastards know you do it. Maybe not on purpose, but it happens. Nerf that requires safety gear, isn't true hardcore nerf.

Talio.

#13 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

^^^
Yes, glasses are a necessity(sp). Back when i was first starting out a new nerfer refused to wear eye protection because he didn't feel he needed it. Then, a little while later he got shot directly in the eye. As a result he was blinded for nearley 3 weeks and is permanentley disfigured. True story.

I love how all these new guns come in and just because they are all new and shiny people automatically think they are better than older guns. I don't know if its the old school in me, but id take a LNL over a TTG any day of the week.

I still believe the crossbow is the most powerful gun (with the exception of the ultimator/xxl). I personally have SEEN a crossbow go a legit 200ft. It even dented drywall from 15ft. I now own that gun but its just a shell of its former self (literally).

#14 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

Permanently disfigured? Maybe if you had a handgrenade attached to a dart head. The titan is very powerful,but its got similiar ranges when modded to shoots darts as the sm5000, at least I think but takes a long time to prime. I say anything should be legal in nerf wars as long as it shoots foam and doesn't disinegrate the darts like some of my co2 guns that I've made that put 2 nice bb holes in the wall every time I shoot it, after the bb weights go through the foam. I say let em' use the titan, indoor or outdoor, unless they have a good shotgun load or have a great first shot, they're gone as soon as they have to reload. My titan has interchangable ballista and 1/2" PETG 24" barrels on it.

Edited by Viper, 02 March 2005 - 07:43 PM.

#15 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

This is why you'll probably never actually play on a real field. Hoenstly...nerf before you post about how we run things.

Talio.

#16 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

I personally have SEEN a crossbow go a legit 200ft. It even dented drywall from 15ft.

You sir, are full of shit.

#17 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

For ages the best (and most hard to find) gun has been the crossbow, everyone has accepted this, it is fact.

I think you lose, right there, just by stating that any gun is the 'best.'

Yay, Talio can spell 'field.'

AA
Indiana '11

#18 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

I personally have SEEN a crossbow go a legit 200ft. It even dented drywall from 15ft.

You sir are a fucking idiot.

I've SEEN IT. That number may be 15-5 ft off but i know what i see.

As for permanentley disfigured i mean that the kid has a blood burst or something like that in his eye. That i've never actually seen, only heared.

#19 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:40 AM

best

Damn, I really should have caught that.
Best is the wrong word, "rather good" might be a better term. Anyway, after reading some of the replies I've come to agree with the anti-titans, anything that can cause real harm to a fellow nerfer shouldn't be allowed in, bleeding and blindness just aren't fun.
Deus ex Anthropos

#20 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

As for permanentley disfigured i mean that the kid has a blood burst or something like that in his eye. That i've never actually seen, only heared.

No I have to agree with him, you sound pretty much full of shit.

Seriously, what the hell did he mod it with, Gasoline? It doesn't count if the dart goes 200 feet and so does your face. Dented dry wall I can understand. Hell I've stumbled into dry wall and caused holes. Putting a dent from 15 feet away while a solid tip object hitting it at about 90 fps is beleivable, getting better ranges then my Tippman A5 paintball fun is not. Seriously, even CX's BAMF didn't hit that, so yes, 200 feet with a crossbow means you've been also been kissing the blarny stone.

Talio.

#21 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

Having a blood burst is very likely, stallion from that type of injury.

#22 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you had PERSONALLY SEEN IT. That changes everything, because nobody exaggerates on the Internet. No sir.
Besides that, I know you so well, I should know to take you at your word. I mean, we've been best buddies for years, right?

Nobody's word is worth anything on the Internet without proof, sir. I would take people like cx at their word, because he is rational, measures his results, and is not interested in making himself look good as much as he is interested in reporting accurate info.
I would not take people like you (and you aren't the only one, there are several others, some have names with 'nightmare' in them) at their word because they make ridiculous claims, then back them up with "I SAID IT SO IT'S TRUE".

#23 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Could a fully modified Titan break the lenses on a paintball mask? I sometimes wear those into wars 'cause I have huge ears and they hurt like a s'um bitch if a dart hits them. I was just wondering if a Titan loaded with a good Stefan could crack the lens on a paintball mask from say, 30-40 feet.
SexD Warves

#24 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you had PERSONALLY SEEN IT. That changes everything, because nobody exaggerates on the Internet. No sir.
Besides that, I know you so well, I should know to take you at your word. I mean, we've been best buddies for years, right?

Nobody's word is worth anything on the Internet without proof, sir. I would take people like cx at their word, because he is rational, measures his results, and is not interested in making himself look good as much as he is interested in reporting accurate info.
I would not take people like you (and you aren't the only one, there are several others, some have names with 'nightmare' in them) at their word because they make ridiculous claims, then back them up with "I SAID IT SO IT'S TRUE".

Well, believe what you want to believe. I don't know what id get out of exagerating anyways..

Fucktard.

#25 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

Seeing something is a lot different from actually measuring something. I'll lend you a yardstick or two if you have that much faith in a 200 ft. shooting CrossBow.

Itallion should be better than resorting to silly name calling, I remember I had a lot of respect for him not long ago.

Fucktards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users