Photo

Stefans And Pegs Question.

13 replies to this topic

#1 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:07 AM

Everyone knows abou the stock pegs in nerf guns that hold the stock darts in. Now, I've just begun making my own darts, and I'm not sure what to do. If I take out the pegs, will they still shoot stock darts? Is it possible to make the holes in Stefans, or would that mess them up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-CTA
20 posts(woot!!... never mind...)
Ecstasy is all you need
Living in the big machine

#2 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

If you take out the pegs on most stock guns it will still shoot stock darts. You could make holes in your stefans but the hole would have to be perfect and I'm not sure if this will increase or decrease the range of the stefan by putting it on a peg. I'd just take the peg out.

#3 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

Like Renegade said, it's a pretty safe bet that your gun will shoot stock darts without the pegs. When you think about it, most modified guns use some type of tubing for barrels (pvc, brass, petg). I don't see how those are much different from a stock barrel without a peg. Grant it, there may be some frictional differences, but those should be fairly negligible.

I've had mixed results with holes in the back of the stefans. Most of this is due to the fact that I usually make darts in haste, so the quality is usually poor before I even begin that step. The way most people put holes in the back of stefans is by using a soldering iron; you can get them for about $8 from a Hardware store if I remember correct. If you do try to make holes, I would make them about the diameter of the pegs. Any wider and the darts tend to break down faster.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#4 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks Shindig and Renegade.

-CTA
Ecstasy is all you need

#5 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:46 PM

I have had mixed results too with pegs and holes in the back of stefens. I need a good day to experiment.
Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#6 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:47 AM

As far as I can deduce the sole purpose of those pegs is to PREVENT you from using various kinds of homemade ammo. Yank it out.
Deus ex Anthropos

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:19 AM

One caveat worth mentioning is that the pegs are sometimes physically attached to the front of the valve mechanism. I would specifically advise caution in the case of the SF, SS2, BF, and probably Hornet. To de-peg these guns you can either twist out the pegs (YMMV) or saw off the barrels and use diagonal cutters or a hobby knife to cut the supports for the peg off at the base.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 Streetz

Streetz

• Banned
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:15 AM

Ok, I have done some investigating for CTA's question about taking out the stock peg and if it will shoot stock darts.

As well follow cxqw's warning above. Certain guns have different layouts but it's all up to you if you want to do it. I took out the peg in my nightfinder and I've gotten an extra bout 10-15 ft. for range. I used stock and stefans with my little brother and some firends. If I can, then I'll post everything on my first nerf war.

IF YOU TAKE OUT THE PEG, YOU WILL INCREASE YOUR AIRFLOW AND STILL
BE ABLE TO SHOOT STOCKS AND STEFANS.

*Note:* I performed this test using a Nightfinder Ex-3.

Edited by Streetz, 23 February 2005 - 06:18 AM.

#9 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

I hate to be stupid, but Cxwq what does YMMV mean?
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

I hate to be stupid, but Cxwq what does YMMV mean?

Sorry for the acronym, I'm generally against those.

In any event, Google is your friend.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

I have a question concerning the pegs in a Rapid Fire 20. Can I yank those out of the barrels with pliars, or would I need to take out the turret and dump them? EDIT: DAMNIT! One screw in the stupid black case of the gun is totally destroyed. Now I can't even get in it anyway. :( Maybe I could just smash the hell out of the black part until it comes off.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 23 February 2005 - 08:42 PM.

SexD Warves

#12 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

Monkey, it's been brought up in the past what to do with RF20 and WF pegs. You need to take that red part (or yellow if it were WF), and make sure that the outer circular seal of each peg is kept intact - without them your darts may not even leave the gun. Search the forums for more advice. EDIT - damn me and not checking dates.

Edited by PissBacon, 27 February 2005 - 02:05 PM.

#13 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thanks a lot. Meh, the topic wasn't that old anyway.
SexD Warves

#14 CTA then and now

CTA then and now

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, I will probably take out the pegs now.
Thanks.

-CTA
Ecstasy is all you need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users