Photo

All Purpose Movie Topic

98 replies to this topic

#26 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

To address the original question a bit better, here are the first movies I will load up in three weeks when my new 50" DLP rear projection TV arrives:

1. Blade Runner - Director's Cut
2. LOTR Extended Edition Trillogy
3. The Mission (largely unheralded but amazing acting and cinematography)
4. Lawrence of Arabia
5. Perfect Storm

I'll also give props to the already mentioned Amelie and Lost in Translation which are both excellent movies.

But I'm still left with the perplexing question - how far back do you sit to view a 130" screen? For my decent sized family room all the articles suggested something in the mid 40s range, I went up to 50" because I tend to sit a little closer in the movie theater and my tolerance for wider viewing angles is high. I throw a roughly 100" image with my projector at work and that's for a 40 seat conference room!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#27 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:49 PM

I haven't measured it but I do know my house is 7,200 square feet and there seems to be plenty of room, I got to give it to my stepdad on that one, we got a wet bar with an oven behind it......envious yet? Good movies I must say cxwq, I might check out The mission simpky because I haven't heard anything about it...ever.

#28 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

I might check out The mission simpky because I haven't heard anything about it...ever.

Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro turn in fine performances.

Wins the oscar for cinematography.

Nominated for oscars in art direction, costume design, director, film editing, original score, and best picture. Lost most of those to Platoon.

Nobody I talk to has ever seen it. Tragic.

Set aside some time when you're ready for an emotional, historical, Effeminate drama. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

#29 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

I have to throw in Interview With The Vampire.

Good movie, there.

#30 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:18 AM

I would reccomend The Natural to anyone. It is about baseball. If you like baseball, you will LOVE it. I don't like baseball, and it is still one of my top five favorite movies ever. It's from the 80s, I don't know the exact date, though. Excellent movie.

Eh. The book was 10 times better.

To keep the ball rolling, if for some strange reason you haven't seen Office Space, watch it now. Multiple times. It's godly.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#31 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:16 AM

Nobody I talk to has ever seen it. Tragic.

Set aside some time when you're ready for an emotional, historical, Effeminate drama. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I've seen it before actually.

Quite impressive, especially the performance by Robert De Niro.

#32 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

Wow, I really thought platoon sucked ass. It was a candid account about what oliver stone went through I guess. Office Space, I've seen that about 30+ times....really and its great. American Beauty is very similiar in plot structure and theme. Right now I'm watching A Clockwork Orange

#33 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

There are some Movies I just have to recommend now:
Cypher
Falling Down
Judge Dredd
Tiger & Dragon
Zatoichi

#34 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

Judge Dred was pretty cool. Demolition man was the shit, though,blowing dred away. I just got done watching all of A Clockwork Orange and honestly,didn't find anything too great about it. It was another shocking movie that had poor acting and dialogue in many parts and was simply not that entertaining.Citizen Kane is next on my list.

Edited by Viper, 27 February 2005 - 08:37 PM.

#35 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:16 AM

I just recently saw Rashomon, by Akira Kurasowa, and that has to be by far one of the best films I've ever seen. No wonder its usually listed as one of the top 10 films of all time.

#36 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

I don't go out to the theatres as much as I used to, but I still rent stuff every so often. Here are some of my absolute favorites:

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2. Back to the Future Trilogy
3. The Matrix (The first one, of course. I thought the sequels were shit.)
4. Bulletproof Monk
5. Original Star Wars Trilogy (none of that butchered Special Edition crap)
6. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
7. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
8. Shaun of the Dead
9. Anchorman
"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

#37 Grumschnitz

Grumschnitz

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

Gladiator! Almost forgot about this one, if you've seen it before then skip through the dialogue. Love the score.
Deus ex Anthropos

#38 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

Gladiator was great all around. The matrix trilogy was all pretty great to me.

#39 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:42 AM

Actually, the quote in my sig was from Airplane, another funny movie I forgot to mention.

#40 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

I just got finshed with citizen kane, considered by many to be the best movie ever made. It was very good, but I'm not thinking top 10 unless you consider for its time. "rosebud"

#41 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:11 AM

I just got finshed with citizen kane, considered by many to be the best movie ever made. It was very good, but I'm not thinking top 10 unless you consider for its time. "rosebud"

I think Citizen Kane improves considerably the more you know about the era and events dEffeminateted. The social commentary is so closely tied into the storytelling it's hard for us to fully appreciate today.

That said, I have to agree with you. It's a fine film but not on my personal all-time greats list. Other movies in the AFI and other top-10 lists like Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Graduate are much higher on my personal list.

#42 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:33 AM

1. Unforgiven
2. Godfather I
3. 7 samurai
4. Godfather II
5. ESB

#43 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:50 AM

Saw, because if you wern't already fucked in the head, you will be.

It's pretty funny to think that the local Melbourne guys couldn't get a grant to do it, so they had to go to Hollywood to get the movie approved and made.

Edited by taita_cakes, 03 March 2005 - 02:50 AM.

Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#44 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:52 AM

Wow, a lot of good stuff has been thrown out there. I'll try to list what hasn't already been mentioned. Saw was Ok, the only thing was that the acting started to fall apart towards the end, and everybody in the theater started to laugh at the film. I felt sorry for the guy from The Princess Bride (which is a great movie, by the way).

I also like:
Better Off Dead
Grosse Pointe Blank (Kick ass movie)
Dawn of the Dead (The newest one)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Top Gun
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Tommy Boy
Black Sheep
Full Metal Jacket
GI JOE The Movie (shut up, I was huge GI JOE fan)
Batman
True Lies
The Blues Brothers (not 2000, that one is a disgrace)
Stripes

Just about every James Bond film, especially:
Live and Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me
For Your Eyes Only
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
Dr. No
You Only Live Twice
Most people don't remember it, but On Her Majesty's Secret Service is worth watching, and the only Bond movie with George Lazenby playing Bond. It's also the only one in which James Bond gets married.

I left out Die Another Day because it just sucked. So did The Man With the Golden Gun.

Edited by Inferno, 03 March 2005 - 03:53 AM.

"I figured out what was wrong with your vacuum. Turns out a half-eaten meatball was clogging up the intake."
"Oh...well, did ya save it?"
"Uh-no."
"...You bastard."
-Family Guy

#45 stevo123

stevo123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

A lot of the good movies have already been said but some of the ones I own and like that haven't been said include:

About A Boy - My Favorite Movie Evar
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
A Bronx Tale
American Pie
Chariots of Fire
Toy Soldiers
Stevo123 of DCNerf. Web site coming soon.

#46 Terminator

Terminator

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:12 PM

I watched About Schmidt recently I thought that was good. However some of my friends just laugh because all they like is The Boondocks Saints (sp?).

-Terminator
"Okay, okay he has one testicle, hes areodynamic, everyone cut of your balls you'll be quicker!" - Robin Williams Live 2002.

#47 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

Have you guys heard anything about the aviator?

#48 bkdrivethru

bkdrivethru

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

I don't know if you guys have already heard this, but there is a theatrical trailer for Star Wars Ep. III tomorrow (March 10, 2005) at 9:00 EST. The clips they pulled from the trailer look pretty good, I suppose you all tune in. It looked like it included a part from the famous Obi Wan vs. Anakin fight over the lava pit.

To make this post somewhat on topic, the movies Super Troopers, Office Space and Harold and Kumar go to White Castle all get better each time you watch them. Orange County is an alright movie if watched in moderation, i.e. once or twice a year.

#49 stevo123

stevo123

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

I agree, especially with Anchorman.

As for Harold and Kumar, it was only a matter of time until my friends and I took a day road trip to NJ for White Castle. It even tops Roy Rogers.
Stevo123 of DCNerf. Web site coming soon.

#50 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

I don't know if you guys have already heard this, but there is a theatrical trailer for Star Wars Ep. III tomorrow (March 10, 2005) at 9:00 EST.

This pales in comparison to the trailer for Sin City.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users