Photo

Dremel Bits

14 replies to this topic

#1 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

I've searched throughout both nerfhq and nerfhaven's archives but have failed to find any useful information on what dremel bits people use and what is most effective. Like what bit did you use for the REV-6 mod or cutting throught the barrel posts in the RF20? And since I don't want to start another topic, I want to get back into making 5/8" FBR guns, and what barrel material works best for you? I.E sch60 PVC, or 21/32" brass tubing?

Edited by Viper, 12 February 2005 - 10:43 PM.

#2 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:29 AM

I use cutoff wheels for anything involving straight lines and many soft curves. For shaping of plastics, including PVC, I use high speed cutters. They work wonders for removing material in a controlled manner and shaping. These are what I use to bore out PVC (ie 1/2" couplers). Cut-off wheels are pretty versatile for sanding and shaping of small parts. I own about 150 different bits. 10 of them are high speed cutters which I use extensilvely. About 10 differnt kinds of cutoff wheels. The others I rarely if ever use. The brown and grey grinders suck pretty much altogether. I have no found a good use for them yet. A good set of high speed drill bits its good to have too. And if you haven`t already, ditch the collets and get a chuck.

I have only used 1/2" PVC for barrels. It is an absolute perfect fit for 5/8" FBR. I`m sure brass can be too but PVC is jsut easier to work in my opinion.

#3 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:50 AM

The brown and grey grinders suck pretty much altogether. I have no found a good use for them yet.

Actually, I used the brown grinder on the Titan. When I was cutting the restrictor at the base of the gun, I first used a green cone-shaped bit to get through it, then I used a brown grinder to smooth it off. The brown piece fit almost perfectly in the barrel stub thing. It's soooooo smooth now.
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#4 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:03 AM

Thanks boltsniper, I'll take your advise. I lost the piece that hold the grey and brown grinders but like you said, they weren't that great, they melted through plastic more than cut anything and you had to spend time sanding it afterwards and the discs broke :P after about 10 minutes of going throught hard plastic. Black and decker has a dremel remake that is compatible with all dremel parts for only $30 at home depot.

Edited by Viper, 13 February 2005 - 02:13 AM.

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

90% of my dremel work involves high speed cutters. I can't have enough of those things. The other 10% is cutting wheels.

Of course I use a 4-in-hand file a lot more than my dremel so take with a grain of NaCl.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:37 PM

...so take with a grain of NaCl...

Is salt only formed during the titration of acids and bases, or are there naturally occuring salts as well?
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

I understand there's a fair bit of it in the ocean that we didn't put there.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:20 PM

I understand there's a fair bit of it in the ocean that we didn't put there.

As well as the crystalline NaCl that keeps Austria and parts of southeastern Germany from falling into the Earth's mantle.

On Dremel bits: I prefer the circular saw blades to cutoff wheels for cutting plastic. Quicker cutters, don't shatter, and don't wear out as quickly. Of course, theyre also more expensive, but that's the price you pay (pun intended).

#9 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

An example of dremeling:

This is a part to the rifle I am currently working on. Specifically it is the front portion of the magazine well. It started of as a 1/1/2" T-joint as shown in the first picture. The finished component is actually built from 2 canibalized T-joints. The two pieces were cut with a cut-off wheel and then bonded together. The inside was bored out with high speed cutters to allow it to slip over 1/1/2" PVC and for the magazine to freely pass in and out of the well:

I only used 2 bits to make this

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:36 AM

Cool bolstsniper and everyone for their feedback. I lost that damn high speed cutter attachment, so I'll just have to get the saw kit.

#11 parmaster320

parmaster320

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

I like this dremel idea you all are talking about. I do not currently have a dremel, I have been using a couple saws and some flat and round hand files for all of my work. And a special razor blade from time to time. Do you all recommend dremels for nerfing purposes? If so can I get some good, decently priced models that anybody has had good experiences with? Thanks.

Edited by parmaster320, 20 February 2005 - 01:47 AM.

#12 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:54 AM

Black and decker one at home depot comes with just about everything you need for $30+ comes with a lifetime warranty and is compatible with all dremel products. Trust me its completely worth it.

#13 parmaster320

parmaster320

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:13 AM

Awesome, thanks. I have a Home Depot just a mile up the road from me.

#14 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:20 AM

I used to have a dremel, but over time I found more power was a big help. I love my Foredom now; you might want to check one out. The motor is separate from the handle part, which allows for much higher rpm, plus you can control the speed with your foot instead of stopping to mess with it all the time. Then again, if you only want it for nerf, that may be overkill.

Edited by PissBacon, 21 February 2005 - 03:21 AM.

#15 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:51 PM

A hot knife is a really useful tool for cutting Nerf plastics too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users