9 replies to this topic

#1 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

Oh Happy Day!
Came home from school Thursday to find two packages awaiting me. I knew what both of them were, but not how awesome they really were.
Package #1
72” of brass. In two pieces. Two 36” pieces of brass. Simply gorgeous. I haven’t seen too many thinks that seemed to glow, they were so pretty and shiny. These win.

Posted Image

Package #2
Small Soldiers SM5k from ebay. I no longer need to search for it bi-weekly. Phew. I finally got what I’ve been looking for since 1 week into my nerf life.

Posted Image

Package number 1 was me testing this new site I found. I like it a lot now. Unlike most other sites, this one only had 4$ shipping on this much brass, and considering the container it came it, larger orders won’t change that much. The brass was in foot or 3 foot sections, and comparatively, this price was relatively competitive.
Here’s the site: Walthers Model Railroad Mall
Here’s the container:
Posted Image

So, yeah. Hope the brass helps other people as much as it will me. My hobby store restocks their brass around once a month, and if you’re turreting guns, you need more than 3 feet a month (assuming no-one else buys any, otherwise you get to buy less).

The question is: I’ve seen other places to use more than 12” of brass on a 5k, if it is available. Is this true? Is it a good idea? And how much should I use?
I can’t wait to mod this one. The silencer is already almost done and makes the gun 38” long. It’s gonna be one sexy hot 5k.
As usual, I’m looking for paint suggestions.

-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:17 PM

Awesome! 38 inches! Wow! As for the paint job, I would keep it the same, unless it has some kind of weird crap on it that you don't want to keep.
SexD Warves

#3 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:27 PM

Cool, I love your candid representation of your emotions, very cool.

#4 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:40 PM

Awesome! 38 inches!

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#5 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:43 PM

whoa, Thats one hot 5k!I think the paint job looks fine, as it is.The brass looks tempting too, since the art supply store I get mine from, like yours, restocks once in a blue moon. I know the dates of when it restocks, though, so I usually buy it all.(I got a list from my friends sister, who works there).I prefer brass to other materials because it is light, shiny, and works well, and because I cant seem to ge anything else, except OCCASIONALY some pvc, but I used the last of that up on my 2k's.As for the length, a good 8' will suite you just fine, and if its really gonna be 38' anyway, Another foot would just make it a pain to carry around.Anyway, thanks for the link, and kudos to you, simply for having such an awesome gun, and such shiny brass!
Black Masks & Gasoline

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:01 AM

...The silencer is already almost done and makes the gun 38” long...

I meant the gun, not the brass. Sorry 'bout the confusion
SexD Warves

#7 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

As for the length, a good 8' will suite you just fine, and if its really gonna be 38' anyway, Another foot would just make it a pain to carry around.

You misunderstand. Sorry about that. I mean barrel brass, which is housed inside ala Tank Relocation Mod.
So really, I need to know if I should stick with the foot or try for a bit longer, I don't know the optimal range vs. barrel length.
And wow! I finally broke 100 posts! What now?
Thanks viper, this is my favorite way to write. Unlike English class, there's nothing to bs. Zing!

Additionally, guess what? Yeah, I knew that the sm5k shipped with a sucky pump, but I already have to replace this one. The check valve came busted, even though it’s nib. That really sucks, but I think if I cut up a sm3k’s pump, it should work. We’ll see as soon as I finish the relocation.
I also should finish the silencer tomorrow, I can then use the school’s drill press, which makes for very sexy silencers. Heh, try saying “sexy silencers” 10 times fast.
I think I will keep the paint scheme, but if I can’t find the right green for the silencer, I’ll just paint the silencer flat black. That won’t alter the gun’s look too much, but it should make it a lot better than pvc white.
-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#8 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:12 PM

Oh, your gonna do the barrel relocation mod...In that case, if you think the gun has enough power, the longer the better!As long as the gun is as all-powerful as other sm5k's, Id say, maybe even 15 inches 'd fit you nicely. The darts gain much more velocity coming out of a longer barrel, as long as the guns strong enough to keep pushing them, which most 5k's are.
Black Masks & Gasoline

#9 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

If you're willing to potentially waste a little brass I'd suggest comparing 13" and 14" to see which works better. If you do try this, please post your results here along with a detailed description of the darts and your testing procedure so we can all benefit.

It's my belief that the gun can handle more than 12" but not very much more.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#10 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, I was considering doing that. I think I will especially because there is relatively little waste, seeing as I need 6" pieces for my sm750 turret.
15” did seem like a little much. Also, if I keep the silencer on in the final mod, I think I’ll have to breach it; otherwise rof will be really bad. For that I’d just put 1” of 17/32 in the back of the barrel, right behind the breech hole. (I still need those jeweler’s saws for this though.
However, I still need some decent fbr, seeing as the last frost king I got royally sucked. I was going to put a loghelp order in sometime this week anyways. I’ll post what I can when I can, though. And I’ll see just how much brass the sm5k can handle. Perhaps I’ll just put 13” on one and 14” on another, because I actually have two around. Right.
I doubt an inch of 17/32” at the back will affect range much, it’s just if I breech it to hold the dart back there. So is there anything else I could test?
Also, I should finish the silencer soon. This one should greatly reduce the bang made by firing, which always seems to scare my neighbors…
-Jlego
~Jaxon of the LGLF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users